It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extinct cave lions, almost perfectly preserved, discovered in Siberia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Cave Lions? I've never heard of a Cave Lion before, have you, ATS? Apparently, paleontologists in Siberia found 2 extinct cave lion cubs that are the best-preserved cave lions ever unearthed.

The cave lions—Panthera spelaea (Goldfuss)—lived during Middle and Late Pleistocene times on the Eurasian continent, from the British Isles to Chukotka in the extreme east of Russia, and they also roamed Alaska and northwestern Canada. The extinct creatures were close relatives of modern Afro-Asiatic lion.

Finds of their remains are rare: today’s announcement about the existence of the pair is coupled with the confident claim that they are best preserved ever unearthed in the world.

With 2 completely intact specimens such as these it makes me wonder if there will be any attempts to revive or clone them...? What about ancient bacteria or diseases they may harbor? What says ATS?

Read more at www.grindtv.com...
edit on 27-10-2015 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

What an amazing discovery. I have no doubt their is viable DNA. But i doubt there will be any rush to clone them. Remember, their is a reason why species die out - Bringing them back disrupts the balance of nature. Besides, You would need to find a relative close enough that is compatible to host the clones. We don't have any artificial wombs.
edit on 27-10-2015 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tjoran

What an amazing discovery. I have no doubt their is viable DNA. But i doubt there will be any rush to clone them. Remember, their is a reason why species die out - Bringing them back disrupts the balance of nature. Besides, You would need to find a relative close enough that is compatible to host the clones. We don't have any artificial wombs.

Yep. Quite the find....It kind looks Sea-Otter-ish to me.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Looks like a cat/dog hybrid to me with out the ears
. Bet it was cute when it was.. whole.. but with facial reconstruction and DNA sequencing, soon we will see what it looked like!
edit on 27-10-2015 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

What about ancient bacteria or diseases they may harbor?
I often wonder about that when they go digging things up. One day something nasty is going to happen!

I dont like the idea of cloning, but I think it would be good to restart some extinct species. As I wrote in another thread, a herd of T-Rexes rampaging through the halls of governments would be good for this world.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
As I wrote in another thread, a herd of T-Rexes rampaging through the halls of governments would be good for this world.

Are they able to catch jackals?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

As I wrote in another thread, a herd of T-Rexes rampaging through the halls of governments would be good for this world.

Are they able to catch jackals?

Hmmm, maybe while being cloned they could have those tiny little arms fitted with a couple of BFG's.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

What about ancient bacteria or diseases they may harbor?
I often wonder about that when they go digging things up. One day something nasty is going to happen!

I dont like the idea of cloning, but I think it would be good to restart some extinct species. As I wrote in another thread, a herd of T-Rexes rampaging through the halls of governments would be good for this world.

I think as the world warms and the ice melts there will be a lot more discoveries such as this one in the near future. There's still so much history to be uncovered whether in a cave, under ice, or in a Tar pit.
edit on 27-10-2015 by lostbook because: word edit

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
They just found them Lion around I suppose.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
They just found them Lion around I suppose.

You really have no pride.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

OOOOOOOOOOH, you should be slapped...

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

STOP IT!

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Sorry, I was just being a copycat.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I AM TRAINED IN INFLTRATION!

I'll find you...

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Enough pussy footing around. Oh crap, the cat's out of the bag.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

STOP IT!

Manely, we just need more puns...

Also, an interesting story

edit on 27-10-2015 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

AAAAAAGH!

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

You've never read Jean M. Auel have you?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Sorry, I'll stop. The joke's getting long in the sabre-tooth anyway...

(What's that? Wrong big cat family? Well, whatever...)

More on topic, according to the original link, it seems like in addition to the lions, there will be other preserved animals on display next month -- a truly mammoth undertaking!
edit on 27-10-2015 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
They should bring them back to life becasue everyone knows a lion would never cheetah on his mate.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join