It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Art installation in Italy ended up in the bin by cleaners who thought it was rubbish

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

The avant-garde art exhibition at a museum in Italy was thrown away by overzealous cleaner
he installation, entitled “Where shall we go dancing tonight?”, was supposed to represent the hedonism and political corruption of the 1980s.
Created by Sara Goldschmied and Eleonora Chiari, artists from Milan, it consisted of cigarette butts, empty bottles, paper streamers, confetti and discarded shoes and clothing.
When cleaning staff turned up for work at the Museion museum in Bolzano in Italy’s German-speaking Sud Tyrol province, they assumed that the mess was left over from a party the night before.
www.telegraph.co.uk... was-rubbish.html

Ok first off I hope they don't fire the cleaning staff for as the saying goes garbage in garbage out! and it do looked like a mess, but this is the kind of things rich Libs get criticized for and I think rightly so, and yes I know it's in a foreign country but it may just as well be in Austin TX or the Village in NYC or Williamsburg BLKYN ,ordinary folks are made to feel less than if they don't understand the meaning of a tiny black dot on an oversize white canvas ,or some guy smearing SNIP on a supposed figure of the Christ on a cross, unless the message is your religion is SNIP, in which case get your money from private funding not the Arts foundation funded by the Gov. Now I know Iam opening a can of worms here for all art is subjective and I do support a liberal arts education alongside the three Rs, I want to fund the arts but not SNIP , the problem is who decides what is SNIP. .

edit on 27-10-2015 by burdman30ott6 because: Do not evade the automatic censors

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I mean... If i was a janitor looking at that i would immediately think "#, i have to clean this?". Hope they don't get fired.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
It was trash... Like most modern art

I was at the Yale museum of art this summer. They had a snow shovel and a white painting with a thin black stripe displayed as art.
edit on 27-10-2015 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Common sense tells me their is too many bottles upright for their to have been walking space to accommodate that amount of people capable of drinking said amount of booze. I would've left that alone, and besides that, there would've been a placard somewhere saying made by so and so and probably a description of the piece
not art
edit on 27-10-2015 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
My basic threshold for what constitutes fine art is... 'Could I make a nearly identical presentation of that myself, if I saw a picture of it?'

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Those Italians - they sure know art. And that wasn't art.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

That picture caught my attention and made me wonder what was going on. It appealed to emotion. I like it.

link   
I saw an artwork of about sixty bricks stacked in a few piles, and was told by a museum guard that it cost the museum fifty thousand American dollars. That was a strange one. This pile of junk in this thread, they paid money for that? I'd have done it for free.

link   
Just think of all the time it's going to take to recreate that scene - those poor artists. They'll have to spend month drinking and smoking

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
a reply to: Brotherman

That picture caught my attention and made me wonder what was going on. It appealed to emotion. I like it.

Thanks, I try.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
No loss...

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

I realize art doesn't have to match the drapes, but some of this stuff is absurd.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
If your 'art' is indistinguishable from garbage it is probably garbage. Regardless, not very talented artists for sure. If that passes as art there were definitely some college parties that we shouldn't have cleaned up. SMH.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I would have thrown it out too. I mean...look at it! Sure looks like trash to me! I think it's insane when you see some painting that is considered art and sold for thousands of dollars when a 3 year old could create the same thing.
edit on 28-10-2015 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
The fine art communty regular slamed artists whio illustrate as NOT being fine art but THIS is art to some people..www.economist.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

What true art connoisseurs will appreciate is the cleaning up was itself performance art.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   

It's just my opinion, but modern art has seriously lowered the bar on what can be called art (there is no bar). In order for something to be labelled there is generally a standard. If literally any expression and action is art then ALL is art and EVERYONE is an artist. Therefore there really is no special thing as art.

So we've thrown out standards for what constitutes art. How about what constitutes music? If you apply the same mindset, then all sounds are music, therefore no musicians.

Apply the same theory to all talents and competencies - gymnastics, figure skating, medicine, law, etc.

There are no bars since we've lowered them. We can be anything we say we are like these self professed "artists". We all win a prize.

edit on 28-10-2015 by EveStreet because: Deletion

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree, and for the most part, installments like this are not art, imo.

But that's the beauty of art, I guess--it's all subjective.

I would have thrown this away, too. Along with everything from the Dada period. It's all a product of everyone getting a participation trophy.
edit on 28-10-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
As an artist, I have had a difficult time accepting 'Installation Art'. Presumably, the message the Italian artists tried to convey is a disgust of libertine partying. I dunno... maybe they think it's a good thing. The bottom line is that the janitorial staff thought it looked like a frigging mess and I'd have to agree with them.

Installation art is all about promoting reactions about the human condition. The cleaners provided, imho, the correct reaction.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
My house in used to look exactly like that from time to time befor I quit drinking. I was a savant artist and didn't even know it! To think a few pictures of the messes I've made and I coulda been famous.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join