It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Have To See This! Beyond Scared Straight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I remember watching "Scared Straight" shows a couple of decades ago. They were nothing like this.

I won't spoil the result (part 4) but Wow! Now this is REALLY Scared Straight. (A&E network)

Warning: As to be expected in this kind of show, strong language.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Sorry, not buying the whole scared them to improve them deal. Most of these kids come from abusive environments in the first place. Its why they are acting out.

And we're going "cure" them by subjecting them to more abuse.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

TV has changed.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I LOVE Beyond Scared Straight. Love it. I really love it when the really big "bad arses" run their mouth about how "hard" they are and they break down in tears within minutes. It's a relief to see that they are not quite as hard as they think they are.

In all seriousness, it seems to be a positive thing for most of the kids that go through it. I think we have glorified thug life and jail so much in music and tv, that to see it in real life is a terrifying wake up call.

I wish every jail participated.
edit on 10/27/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Legal child abuse. Like the cop in the school tossing kids about… the world has changed, alright.

I doubt thugs watch much TV.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Language warning (lyrics) in video.

(post by Tjoran removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Believe I read where Ted Bundy had gone through that and we saw how well that worked on him.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Lol... I swear. Most of these kids wouldn't last 20 minutes outside on the street.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Street crime is for thugs. Large scale online scams is were it is at.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Kind of bad taste to broadcast this sort of thing.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

And we're going "cure" them by subjecting them to more abuse.

Exactly, is just like adding more fuel to the fire, at the end of the program the rarely get this kids to change. They go back to their old ways.

They could use more care and loving, and see what happens and perhaps relocate this kids from their crime infested neighborhoods which is what they are exposed to after the program.

Rarely do they focus, on telling the kids what to do to improve their loves, but get on them for their misbehavior, as if they haven't had enough in their upbringing. It is sad though, I stopped watching this show when I realized, this program didn't really help the kids improve their lives in the long run.

Peace

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

If only there was a program like this for atheists.

I'm kidding, it was joke, don't hate on Randy!

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
It's not like they are going to be physically harmed, or actually have to suffer as a real inmate would for months or years. If I was one of those kids, I'd feel pretty safe with TV cameras around. It wouldn't really "scare me straight", if anything it would make me hate authority more as an adolescent.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
It's not like they are going to be physically harmed, or actually have to suffer as a real inmate would for months or years. If I was one of those kids, I'd feel pretty safe with TV cameras around. It wouldn't really "scare me straight", if anything it would make me hate authority more as an adolescent.

Seems to me, It just reinforces the "Don't get caught" aspect of it all.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

To your statement "the world has changed", WHY do you feel the world changed and when did it begin to change?

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I've run juvenile correction facilities for a good portion of my career. I'm from Mass. To be able to have this as a tool would be amazing. We used to have a watered down version but nothing as fantastic as this. Fear is the greatest deterrent.

Only way I see this going south is if he reacts to "save face" and does something incredibly stupid.
edit on 28-10-2015 by BlastedCaddy because: o

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: InnerPeace2012

They could use more care and loving, and see what happens and perhaps relocate this kids from their crime infested neighborhoods which is what they are exposed to after the program.

Yah, kids go home after being brutalized by inmates (criminal psychology, at its best) and return to the same sh**ty environment that made them lose hope. Broken homes, poverty, lack of education, drugs and gangs, whats the difference between there and prison? In some hoods gangs present as the only love and hope for young impressionable minds.

Thats where they should focus, instead of trillions for unjust foreign wars…

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

To your statement "the world has changed", WHY do you feel the world changed and when did it begin to change?

I typed this big response just now and then deleted it, you don't really want to be that negative this morning, neither do I.

Suffice to say, brutalizing youth is not the answer to getting them to conform… its more the problem. And we blindly don't seem able to see that. The good fix takes time, the impatient one resorts to more violence.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Personally I think this is awesome.

If they catch these kids at the right time, before they are in "too deep" they can see where its headed, and see that's not where they want to go.

Thug life is glorified to these kids... thats why this tactic works.

Their heros are the gangs, and the violence, and those in prison...

This tears those heroes down.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join