It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida’s New Anti-Gay, Anti-Woman Bill May Be the Most Malicious Yet

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

No, it's not a "Lifestyle Choice" Sexual Orientation and Gender-Identity are not a "Lifestyle"

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

They're just pushing your buttons.

Religion, now THAT'S a lifestyle choice! So, if this bill passes, the religious people will actually be protected by the government for their "Lifestyle Choice".

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I always forget the day I chose to be straight... I know I don't make a conscious choice every day.
Or is it different some how there.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Seems these days people are just hooked on religion it's so tiresome.

I don't think that we should focus on religion as much as we do, with the weight that we add to it. I really don't. otherwise we end up with things like this.

I do feel the right to defend MY personal religion if someone makes absurd claims or outright attacks me for it, that's it. Why force it out all the time like these people seem intent on doing? Do they think they're pleasing God?

I don't hate homosexuals my best friend is homosexual - as it stands. He's a great guy, truly he is.

The biggest problem we have now, and here it is guys, discount everything you've ever read - here's the biggest secret in the whole universe..... You ready......?

LEAVE PEOPLE THE HELL ALONE. There you go, just leave 'em alone. Don't insert your bigoted view like bullies do, don't have a go at them for being different and strange. Draw the line at violence but other than that LEAVE PEOPLE ALONE. I 100% promise you this works. It really does.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
American Psychological Association - What is Sexual Orientation?

Sexual orientation is commonly discussed as if it were solely a characteristic of an individual, like biological sex, gender identity or age. This perspective is incomplete because sexual orientation is defined in terms of relationships with others. People express their sexual orientation through behaviors with others, including such simple actions as holding hands or kissing. Thus, sexual orientation is closely tied to the intimate personal relationships that meet deeply felt needs for love, attachment and intimacy. In addition to sexual behaviors, these bonds include nonsexual physical affection between partners, shared goals and values, mutual support, and ongoing commitment. Therefore, sexual orientation is not merely a personal characteristic within an individual. Rather, one's sexual orientation defines the group of people in which one is likely to find the satisfying and fulfilling romantic relationships that are an essential component of personal identity for many people.

Livescience.com - Being Gay is Not a Choice

If being gay is truly a choice, then people who attempt to change their orientation should be able to do so. But most people who are gay describe it as a deeply ingrained attraction that can't simply be shut off or redirected.

On that, studies are clear. Gay conversion therapy is ineffective, several studies have found, and the American Psychological Association now says such treatment is harmful and can worsen feelings of self-hatred.

For men, studies suggest that orientation is fixed by the time the individual reaches puberty. Women show greater levels of "erotic plasticity," meaning their levels of attraction are more significantly shaped by culture, experience and love than is the case for men. However, even women who switch from gay to straight lifestyles don't stop being attracted to women, according to a 2012 study in the journal Archives of Sexual Behavior.

Etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Don't lie, you do your straight affirmations in the mirror every morning like the rest of us.

I hate it when I'm in a rush in the morning, pull out of the driveway and realize I've forgotten to decide I'm straight and attach my penis for the day. Lately I've taken to just sleeping with it on and writing "straight" on it with a Sharpie so I don't make that mistake and try to conduct my business as less than a person.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: Sremmos80

Don't lie, you do your straight affirmations in the mirror every morning like the rest of us.

I hate it when I'm in a rush in the morning, pull out of the driveway and realize I've forgotten to decide I'm straight and attach my penis for the day. Lately I've taken to just sleeping with it on and writing "straight" on it with a Sharpie so I don't make that mistake and try to conduct my business as less than a person.

I wish there was a Big Piece of Cake Prize to distribute for a post.

You're the winner in my book today, LOL.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

People with OCD like me sometimes question their position on homosexuality, though again it's not through choice, more an obsession. Still a different perspective. Our minds try to trick us into thinking we're homosexual so we start avoiding other men and start acting all weirdly masculine, which makes you look homosexual hahaa.

Lasts about 2 weeks then moves onto to something else. Just thought I'd share that with you
It's not a choice per sea as it's a forced an unwanted feeling and images (imagine being in a very happy relationship and going through this once a year). But it is a different viewpoint on the whole 'decision' argument.

Though people with OCD do not act on obsessions. As it stands I agree with you, homosexuality is not a choice at all. Though maybe people who have sever OCD like mine could confuse that point as they don't yet understand their illness.
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

I don't mean to butt in, so to speak, but human sexuality is a continuum, not a scale weighted necessarily on one side or the other.

There's all kinds of varieties, mixtures, matches, and unending possibilities.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

Ah intrusive thoughts. Fun times! I actually struggle with that A LOT, though never about being gay. You should consider doing a thread on that, I keep meaning to but forgetting.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ghostrager

I don't see what's wrong with this. If an institution wants to deny business based on their morals they should have that right. Someone else will gain business from it anyways. I'm sure there are plenty of bake shops that will make a cake for a gay couple.

Besides, are you suggesting to force people to do things that they are morally against? Seems barbaric and oppressive to me. If someone was to deny me service because of their morals, I'd just go somewhere else and be happy to give my money to a business that won't.

Ghost

Nobody is suggesting anyone "force people to do things that they are morally against."

Are you familiar with social contract theory? The basis of SCT is the concept that free people have ceded a measure of liberty to enjoy the benefits conferred by living in a society and this represents a contract between a person and society (or between people). Expanding on this; businesses as we know them only exist in the context of society and therefore, business owners are thus entered into a contract with society.

An ideal central to our American society, famously expressed by Jefferson (with a little tweaking by Franklin), echoes this concept:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed;

Unfortunately, there's been a struggle ever since, one that has been often bloody, to realize this ideal for all of the members of our society. So much for self-evident.

Put it all together:

All members of our society, having equally ceded a measure of their liberty, are equally entitled to the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of being part of our society. These benefits include owning a business that engages in commerce with the public — a public accommodation — and complementary to this is the benefit to the public of having access to these public accommodations.

Nobody is forced to own and operate a business and therefore nobody is being forced to bake a cake or anything else. It's a benefit of being part of our society that people are free to enjoy as long as they live up to their end of the contract.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
man, i sure do get tired of seeing folks played like this

Seriously.

This is just troll bait put out by the elected folks to galvinize their base. No such thing as bad press.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This is awesome, christians can be openly bigots again.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

This is no different then white/black segregation. Love thy neighbor. Segregation is not Love.
edit on 27-10-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joneselius
Our minds try to trick us into thinking we're homosexual so we start avoiding other men and start acting all weirdly masculine, which makes you look homosexual hahaa.

So you have gay thoughts that you don't choose to have?

edit on 10-27-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

It's Gake, Let them eat Gake!

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I know, i know

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

so can't every other religious group....
can't wait for the muslim down at the 7/11 to start refusing to sell beer!! should be fun to watch!!!

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

so can't every other religious group....
can't wait for the muslim down at the 7/11 to start refusing to sell beer!! should be fun to watch!!!

That would be true if it wasn't for the fact that 1st Amendment Religious Freedom only for Christianity

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tjoran
Can't wait until Florida is underwater. Hope it's quick so they don't have a chance to spread to the rest of the states like a bad herpes outbreak.

You know, some people can't wait for the entire U.S. to be under water...

And if I wasn't so kindly a person, nor did I not appreciate some of the Statesmen & Women...
I'd be one of those people as well.

2015 guys, or did you forget that?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I'l refer you to my post in the "Deer" thread that was just posted. # you America. I hope you collapse harder then rome.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join