It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida’s New Anti-Gay, Anti-Woman Bill May Be the Most Malicious Yet

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

The term “public policy” can be defined as "the principle of law that holds no citizen can lawfully do that which has a tendency to be injurious to the public or against the public good." Herndon v. TIAA-CREF Individual & Institutional Servs., LLC, 654 F. Supp. 2d 400, 405 (W.D.N.C. 2009)

So, an employer cannot react against an employee for performing an action in accordance with public policy. An employee is protected from losing his/her job if s/he disobeys an employer by not doing an illegal or immoral act.

I am not seeing how this protects sexual orientation.

Source: definitions.uslegal.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TycoonBarnaby

It does not. However, "most states" do not allow employers to fire any employee at any time for any reason.

That is my point. Do you find it acceptable to fire someone because of their sexual orientation or gender identity?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Let me tell you of the Devils interference.

Just the other day I was working at my store. And you know what a gay person wanted to buy something. I was like no way get out of here. And story end. I am hero?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

My beliefs are pretty basic. People should be allowed to conduct themselves and their business how they so choose so long as it does not negatively and in an unwanted way affect another person's physical self or property. People want to be bigots, let them. Would I fire someone for their sexual orientation or gender identity? Absolutely not.

link   

originally posted by: TsukiLunar
Let me tell you of the Devils interference.

Just the other day I was working at my store. And you know what a gay person wanted to buy something. I was like no way get out of here. And story end. I am hero?

You have no skill at satire. You should stop before you embarrass yourself.

link   

originally posted by: ghostrager
a reply to: Darth_Prime

I don't see what's wrong with this. If an institution wants to deny business based on their morals they should have that right. Someone else will gain business from it anyways. I'm sure there are plenty of bake shops that will make a cake for a gay couple.

Besides, are you suggesting to force people to do things that they are morally against? Seems barbaric and oppressive to me. If someone was to deny me service because of their morals, I'd just go somewhere else and be happy to give my money to a business that won't.

Ghost

So then, you want to go back to this...

Only the signs will read "no gays allowed". "Bathrooms for straight only."
This is why we have laws, and a frickin constitution with an equal rights amendment. So this country doesn't go back to being a sanctuary for bigotry and racism. I'm beginning to wonder if it ever went away at all.

ETA: I just hope the SCOTUS has the good sense to strike this crap down as states try to pass this off as "religious freedom".
edit on 10/27/2015 by Klassified because: eta

edit on 10/27/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

What is satire? I am just spreading the word of God. Gays are evil and don't deserve products made by me or sold by me or even services provided by me.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TycoonBarnaby

My beliefs are pretty basic. People should be allowed to conduct themselves and their business how they so choose so long as it does not negatively and in an unwanted way affect another person's physical self or property. People want to be bigots, let them. Would I fire someone for their sexual orientation or gender identity? Absolutely not.

Thanks for your answer.

My own beliefs are not that far from yours.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TsukiLunar

What is satire? I am just spreading the word of God. Gays are evil and don't deserve products made by me or sold by me or even services provided by me.

This is a prime example of your failure to be humorous. Please stop.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TsukiLunar

Hallelujah!

(Don't let those heathens trying to silence you get you down!)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TsukiLunar

That's not what Christian Religion teaches. You are sadly misinformed about your own religion.
edit on 27-10-2015 by Informer1958 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Sexual orientation and/or gender identity are not matters of "choice" and are the products of a constellation of physical and psychological factors.

This is not a scientific fact, but an opinion that supports a particular narrative. I can always choose to sleep with someone or not...it isn't like I am forced to have sex with anyone.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I disagree with people who think that they are black. After all, you can dye your skin white. So being black must be a choice. Therefore it is okay for me to not allow them into my business.
edit on 27-10-2015 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Proof is in the doing. Go bang a dude or give one a hummer and I'll consider believing you. If you do it more than once and actually incorporate it as your new lifestyle for a number of years I'll believe you're correct without hesitation. Otherwise, I'm saying you're incorrect.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Sexual orientation and/or gender identity are not matters of "choice" and are the products of a constellation of physical and psychological factors.

This is not a scientific fact, but an opinion that supports a particular narrative. I can always choose to sleep with someone or not...it isn't like I am forced to have sex with anyone.

Do you also choose which gender you're attracted to?
Does that change on a regular basis?
Or have you always been attracted to those you are attracted to, without thinking about it?
Are you going to choose to spend your life alone and celibate because you're attracted to someone everyone says you aren't supposed to be?
Doesn't matter if it's scientific fact. People don't wake up in the morning and decide which gender they're attracted to. And I don't see why they must remain celibate because you or I don't approve of their choice of partners.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Sexual activity and/or behavior is not sexual orientation or gender identity.

Are you seriously saying that there is no scientific basis for the fact that sexual orientation and gender identity are not mere "choices"?

If so, blow it out your nose. We've been over that same ground over and over and over. You're mistaken in your belief.

EDIT: Low-hanging fruit: AMA Policy on Sexual Orientation

H-65.992 Continued Support of Human Rights and Freedom. Our American Medical Association continues (1) to support the dignity of the individual, human rights and the sanctity of human life, and (2) to oppose any discrimination based on an individual's sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, religion, disability, ethnic origin, national origin or age and any other such reprehensible policies. (Sub. Res. 107, A-85; Modified by CLRPD Rep. 2, I-95; Reaffirmation A-00; Reaffirmation A-05; Modified: BOT Rep. 11, A-07)

H-65.983 Nondiscrimination Policy. The AMA affirms that it has not been its policy now or in the past to discriminate with regard to sexual orientation or gender identity. (Res. 1, A-93; Reaffirmed: CCB Rep. 6, A-03; Modified: BOT Rep. 11, A-07)

H-65.990 Civil Rights Restoration. The AMA reaffirms its long-standing policy that there is no basis for the denial to any human being of equal rights, privileges, and responsibilities commensurate with his or her individual capabilities and ethical character because of an individual's sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or transgender status, race, religion, disability, ethnic origin, national origin, or age. (BOT Rep. LL, I-86; Amended by Sunset Report, I-96; Modified: Res. 410, A-03; Reaffirmation A-05)]AMA Policy Regarding Sexual Orientation

edit on 16Tue, 27 Oct 2015 16:54:52 -050015p0420151066 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
a reply to: Tjoran

This isn't my favorite state either but I'd sure appreciate if you didn't wish my home underwater and certainly not faster than I can get out of it. The bill is nonsense and should be easily challenged in the supreme court. However I doubt it will happen any time soon...

I'm not wishing anything. This is a fact of whats going to happen.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

It pertains to businesses and corporations, meaning, you can take your business elsewhere. This is the beauty of the free-market.

Also, it mentions nothing about anti-gay/anti-woman. Not every religious person discriminates as you wish they did.
edit on 27-10-2015 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TycoonBarnaby

Sorry, is should have provided that..

www.thewrap.com...

www.vox.com...

www.benjerry.com...

The thing is, many States don't have Sexual Orientation or Gender-Identity as protected, they don't need "Extra Bills"

Thank you Gryphon66

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join