It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Participating in LOGICAL Discussions on ATS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: FamCore

Most people on this site are unaware of how a logical debate is supposed to proceed.

You're probably right. I never took a debate course. I studied Logic and don't remember half of it. It might be worthwhile for me to refresh my memory. But.....the truth of the matter is that it's very, very, rare that anyone ever changes another person's mind on anything so I don't try very often, if at all, anymore. I'm here basically for the news worthy items. Another truth is that we've all got an expiration date stamped on the back of our heads, and of course, we can't see it. The result is that the "pine box" solves all problems eventually anyway.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

This is true, but logical debates aren't meant just for the people participating, it's also for the silent third party that reads it. Though I know I've changed my opinions on things based on things I've read here. Now, it may not happen immediately after a thread, but over the course of many threads, but I have done it. So I think that there ARE others like me.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'd have to say I've learned a lot as an observer here. And my opinions may have been somewhat swayed as well. But no,, I don't think there are many others out there like you. You're pretty much in a category all your own. (tongue in cheek).

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

This is something that happens to me often. No matter what the issue, I like picking through the details in analysis, so as to not "throw out the baby with the dishwater". There is usually some bits of truth or valuable info, even in the biggest messes of bs.

I can be like a mouse, that way, and it irritates people who really like to separate the world into easily distinguishable polarities, with no ambiguities or complications.

I get that. Sometimes it is easier to live and percieve life that way. The world needs all kinds of people. There are times when I need a friend next to me who will say, "no time to study it! we gotta act NOW!" and sometimes they need me to lay a hand on their arm and say, "wait, don't do it yet.... look carefully, there is more than immediately meets the eye here..."

different strokes, and all that.......

ETA - boy don't I sound reasonable there? I need to put in a disclaimer - I am not always so cool and calm about this, it sometimes really bothers and frustrates me.
edit on 27-10-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

That's why this site serves as an entertainment site more than anything else.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: newWorldSamurai

When I refer to "data" I refer to empirical or objective evidence. Common sense is neither of those things. Common sense is just your head telling you how you think things work usually based on common beliefs held by the population at large.

The definition of common sense is a philosophical debate that has been going on since Aristotle. Don't think we'll solve it here. But if that's your take, then ok.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

That would severely change the dynamics here of the open-ness of opinion.And opinions....all and no matter how crazy, rude, outlandish,disrespectful they may be, we learn from all.

I get tired too of the response to a new thread when it's a feeble and unsuccessful attempt to be funny. Those posters have changes us above all. Serious topics deserve seriously pertanent replies. Not everything is funny, but into itself is an important indicator as to the intent of the "troll-comedian". It would be a difficult bit to moderate if someone ripped into into a thread with rude or plainly ignorant replies.

Who would decide? Who would agree? Disagree? Engage? Denounce responses? Tough and time consuming.....and in fact....a form of censorship.I think it best if we let stupid-is as stupid-does. We know em....when we read them.

And they know what they are doing....and that it's the only dialogue they can contribute. It will remain like it is this way....otherwise? It just wouldn't be ATS

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: slapjacks

Amen, ATS needs a troll hunting team

Yes these are Mummi Trolls from Sweden, this is what the nasty Trolls could be converted to.

edit on 27-10-2015 by WalkInSilence because: jeez, just spelling

top topics

<< 1   >>

join