It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First big UFO hoax success for a mobile camera app? "Massive UFO" over India, Brazil, China+

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
s&f. Unfortunate how these catch on, in the case of ghost apps so far, and now this with a UFO. The hoaxes discredit the whole UFO community in the long run. It may have been pushed "virally", similar to others int eh past, not only for revenue to the sites sharing it but probably a viral marketing company selling the vague article to news for revenue purposes. Not even to mention these can catch on fast through social media as it is, a goldmine.

Debunking tips for photos in question:

• reverse image lookup - will share if it's posted on other sites leading to more info
• lookup " ___insert topic__apps" on an image search will often bring up the most re-used ones to compare to
• if familiar with image software, check for pixelated lines, blurs, more.
•there's software that can pinpoint edits in images(while I personally don't always find helpful may benefit someone)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: IsaacKoi

Your thread is a great example of why ufology is a joke these days; fake stuff like those photos that are making the rounds are all too commonly deemed as real.

Thankfully we have people such as yourself however to analyze and see through the B.S that is modern day ufology.

Thank you for your contribution, S+F

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
clearly, sadly, obviously fake.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I stand 100% by all the times Ive said: this generation of teens and early 20s people are #ing morans taking everything they see on the web at facevalue.

Unfortunately we as parents are to blame because we didnt instill a tiny fraction of healthy critique in their minds as facebook, twitter and instagram started taking over.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
If you believe these laughably obvious Photoshop-like fakeries, you deserve to have your life savings stolen from you by Nigerian scammers... and you probably already have!

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
This reminds me of the "parralel universe" cityscape in the clouds photo over China last week. I wonder if a similar method was used? I believe there was only one image provided as proof for the phenomena? Seems pretty strange.... Excellent work, as always Mr. koi.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
LOL - and South Africa just now.......

A picture of a giant, strange – looking circular item in the sky was shared on Facebook on Monday evening. The post said “N1 from Midrand today. Do u see what I see?” Could it be another SA UFO sighting or just a reflection of something else? Facebook user Dineo Motake posted an image of what looks like a spaceship on her Facebook profile late Monday evening
www.disclose.tv...

(facepalm)

Just goes to show that these "news" channels are crap. They don't even pretend to fact check anymore. They even say they got the image from a random Facebook user, as if that wasn't a big enough red flag for them.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: flice
I stand 100% by all the times Ive said: this generation of teens and early 20s people are #ing morans taking everything they see on the web at facevalue.

Unfortunately we as parents are to blame because we didnt instill a tiny fraction of healthy critique in their minds as facebook, twitter and instagram started taking over.

Actually, it looks like it's the opposite of what you're saying. It seems like it's the youth who are using apps like this to cash in on hoaxes & it's the older generations who are being tricked by them. The younger generations are deeply immersed in new technology while older generations still have a hard time spotting basic CGI & altered forgeries like this.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Isaac I've noticed these images floating on the Internet. I'm a I'm good with photoshop so I mostly can see if it's edited or not but some are really hard to uncover.

I want to ask you if you could find out or someone with good research capabilities to find out if these companies are secretly subsidised by agencies that tries to undermine the real ufo footages.

To my believe this going on quite awhile..

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: IsaacKoi

It seems to me a bit of a shame that various people published articles about this "UFO mothership", including on the website of a major British newspaper..

Nice one for exposing this hoax Isaac - although it really does look painfully fake you really would think the British corporate media would act more responsibly.

originally posted by: dreamingawake

The hoaxes discredit the whole UFO community in the long run.

Maybe that´s the whole point in the first place.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

The latest image in the relevant series of hoaxes now has 2,148 shares on Facebook after being on Facebook for just 21 hours (about 700 of those shares being just within the last hour, i.e. the speed at which it is being shared has been increasing).

Well, as I anticipated, my posting the explanation of this hoax hasn't done much good in terms of stopping it spreading.

The particular post on Facebook I mentioned above has now been shared 6,561 times in less than 2 days.

Also, the relevant hoaxed photos are being posted elsewhere as if they were genuine (e.g. a relevant post on the Disclose.tv page on Facebook has been shared 2,372 in less than 24 hours - mostly _after_ I posted evidence of the source of these hoaxes).

Oh well... Not really a surprise.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

A perfect example of The Decline of Ufology: Decades of Fraud, Frustration and Failure?

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
NIce Thread

Unfortunately with today's technology, most unclear UFO video recordings will be hard to make out as real or fake. One can only really tell if they trust the person who filmed it.

I think it will take some truly astonishing photos/videos or disclosure to convince skeptics. Unclear UFO videos are just too easy to fake.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Appreciate the vigilance. The truth serves both skeptics and believers equally well.

Graphics technology has advanced to where any future evidence will require science and multiple credible witnesses etc.

The last UFO incident that got my full attention was the O'Hare Airport incident. Still unexplained, but sufficient credible witnesses IMO. I don't believe any credible pictures or film derived from it, though Dan Akroyd claimed to have evidence at one point.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Probably just more orchestrated obfuscation.
I find it interesting that this is happening at the same time as that floating city video.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
awesome research as always.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
LOL - and South Africa just now.......

A picture of a giant, strange – looking circular item in the sky was shared on Facebook on Monday evening. The post said “N1 from Midrand today. Do u see what I see?” Could it be another SA UFO sighting or just a reflection of something else? Facebook user Dineo Motake posted an image of what looks like a spaceship on her Facebook profile late Monday evening
www.disclose.tv...

The invasion has begun.....guess we will have to recall Randy Quaid from Canada to help out....hopefully they have his meds all figured out now.

They are way ahead of you.
Quaid

In the pic you responded to it looks like a real ufo right around the fake one.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Journalism is so sloppy and bad on the UFO subject it is ridiculous.They do not realize it is actualy real and the abduction stuff is real as well.They show the fake phoney nonsense stuff and laugh at it.Then you have the people who think everything is a real UFO that is so obvious a hoax.
Just bad journalism going on with the subject.Journalism has gotten bad anyways in todays crazy media world now.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
I always wondered what is in the mind of a hoaxer.

Over the last decade or two, I've had contact with quite a few UFO hoaxers. The motives of these individuals have varied considerably.

(4) Art : Apart from the obvious example of crop-circle makers, several UFO videos and events have been hoaxed by individuals that considered they were creating works of art. The audience response is part of the art-work. Several crop-circle hoaxers have branched out into this type of UFO "artwork" in the last decade or two.

I'm not all that interested in sciencey type things, UFOs, Extraterrestrials, interstellar travel...However the crop circle phenomenon is something I think is neat since I treat deciphering them like a logic puzzle from the Mindtrap game or something. As far as the veracity of em though, I haven't the slightest tilt toward one side or the other. Strange cuz in other matters I'm very opinionated. So I jump at small opportunities like this to talk to someone who looks like he/she has way more knowledge than i. Just quickly I wanted to ask if you mean, "obvious example," as the whole phenomenon is too silly to be taken seriously or are you just talking about certain crop circles that hoaxes are responsible for which are obviously identified and separate from real ones?

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Amazing how every picture gets it at exactly the same angle.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join