It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrifying sleep paralysis shared by roommate and myself while in the "funny farm"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: seaswine

I had a very similar experience about 6 years ago, only my eyes were closed but i could sense a demonic presence. It also jumped on top of me and felt as though it tried to enter into my "soul" . I was married at the time and wasn't taking any medication or any other thing that could explain away the experience.

After that little episode, I have read a buttload of testimonies and studies on SP. I'm convinced that there is more to it than what they would have us believe. Specially given our and countless others who describe a very similar experience. The biggest problem is getting people to understand. You cant truly understand that which you haven't experienced yourself.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Also one more I saw,albeit less talked about...
Let me correct that I really didn't see this #er but instinctively I knew what it was, I was asleep with my then wife and I wake up unable to move and I hear foot steps, but these are no regular foot steps, no these are crashing and give the impression of a very large four legged animal, and then I hear panting and slow breathing,and this animal which I was under the impression was a very large wolf like gigantic wolf!, it came in the room;but my vision could not see it because of the angle, it let out a very ominous and long low growl and just when I was sure it was going to kill me,or be in my face, it turned around foot steps crashing and walked out of the room.
edit on 27-10-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I've had a few sleep paralysis episodes.
Most of them involved someone or something whispering a phrase next to my ear while I was half asleep.
I could feel the heat and, at least once, smell the foul breath.
Upon coming to a state of wakefulness, I could not remember what was said.
The worst was waking up, unable to move, and seeing a being that I can best describe as dwarf made of tar sitting on my girlfriends chest. No facial features. Just a ball for a head.
I put all of my strength into throwing a punch or a kick at it.
It was as if my body was made of lead.
I could only barely lift a limb.
If it was a hallucination, as is most likely, it was probably best I was unable to move.
Otherwise I may have punched the crap out of my sleeping girlfriend.
edit on 27-10-2015 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

There's a UK doco on sleep disorders. One guy acted out his nightmares and chased these apparitions around the bedroom and, later, the sleep lab - it's on video. His girlfriend/wife had to sleep in a separate room with the door blocked and locked because he'd struck her a few times and she feared for her safety.

It came out years ago and I found it very reassuring in the sense that it gave visual evidence that these experiences are hallucinatory. I grew up in a house where people experienced 'haunted' style incidents. That made sleep paralysis a different beast altogether for young guy in his teens. With visitors hearing voices and footsteps, it put an extra dimension to being woken up by shadows in the middle of the night.

ETA - this might be the doco. I skimmed it and the white guy with a shaved head looks like the one who'd chase his nightmares around. It was uploaded in 2012 though and I saw it on TV way, way earlier than that, like 2002 earlier.

ETA 2 - No it's not the same film and the bald guy is gay so definitely wrong film.

edit on 10.27.2015 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

edit on 10.27.2015 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Oh no doubt these entity's are hallucinatory in nature, however the thing that gets me and the point I keep drilling in is that people from different cultures and time periods are hallucinating the same entities and more specifically in my case "old hag" which is the original name of the phenomenon. Like I said I believe this is an indication of a personal dialouge from the collective unconscious. These are more like programs than actually objectively real entities. What's your perspective on this?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Peeing in the trash can?
Seems to be a very common disorder.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Sleep paralsis is like being in a horror movie that feels very real. The sheer terror should wake you but doesn't, ive had it happen only a few occasions, one being so bad I didn't go back to sleep, knowing it was a nightmare of sorts but the fact that it could switch back on terrified me.

Had the evil thing crawling up over my body in bed, couldn't move. The thing that is so frightening is that it feels more vivid and real than a standard nightmare, probably due to the sleeping state when they happen.

As technix says, like with the old hag, we mould our fears into common forms of identity but wouldn't it maifest itself into our phobias though, like me with large spiders, rather than the mythical? (Very large spiders I must add)
edit on 27-10-2015 by ProleUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ProleUK

See that's the problem for me, in reality I would not fear this "old-hag" and I had not herd of her why did I see her? The rabbit hole has interesting twists

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Yeah, it's a bit of a weird one, especially as you'd not heard of her before.

I too don't scare easily, horror movies orvtge things in them don't but large spiders do. They terrify me, a daft phobia for sure but in that state of fear in the sleep paralsis id surely manifest that fear into my phobia. Hmm

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I must ask, was Thorazine administered at any time, to either of you?

Just curious.

When I was 5 years old I heard the JFK plans to put a man on the moon.
Brought the subject up in conversation with a family member.
They took me to see a professional.
Test after test, I finally just stopped answering questions.
They diagnosed me as having an organic condition perhaps a candidate for institutionalization away from my parents.
Fortunately they didn't make me take any drugs.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

It sure is interesting these things are reported since the beginning. It reminds me of "The Power of Myth" conversation between John Campbell and Bill Moyers. All storytelling/myth, be it Christianity, native American tales, African tribal stories, etc... they all have their "demon" or idea of the manifestation of evil that is often times described and interpreted through story nearly identically to their counterparts the world over. So we're taking about civilizations with no contact with each other, coming up with pretty much the same stories. Pretty mind blowing.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Mythos VS Pathos I couldn't do the subject justice, I'm still digesting Nietzsche.
acusmatici, mathmatici some esoteric keywords worth googling.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cauliflower

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I must ask, was Thorazine administered at any time, to either of you?

Just curious.

When I was 5 years old I heard the JFK plans to put a man on the moon.
Brought the subject up in conversation with a family member.
They took me to see a professional.
Test after test, I finally just stopped answering questions.
They diagnosed me as having an organic condition perhaps a candidate for institutionalization away from my parents.
Fortunately they didn't make me take any drugs.

So you heard/knew JFK would announce the moon missions before they were ever talked about? I'm guessing that's the case because why would you be taken to get help unless they thought it was a crazy fantasy?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

The big Saturn V rocket booster wasn't used till 1966 two years after the Kennedy assassination.
I can remember the fear of losing my parents and much of the testing during that period.
Really hard to make judgements about motive at that age.

There was some kind of threat from competition, very nervous kind of secrecy going on there.
I didn't feel comfortable at that place so I was allowed to leave.

When the original Star Trek series came along in 1966 it was easily identifiable as allegorical, with some well watered down technical themes.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

These things are tough to stick a nail in because they're so subjective and play on the emotions like nothing else. Your idea that these things are drawn from the 'collective unconscious' is something people have been chewing on for years. It's something that's crossed my mind too and I think it's in the right direction.

These entities/apparitions might be universal because they're so damned basic in form and lacking proper depth. It's hard to explain in a few words. They're usually dark shapes that have some suggestion of arms, head and legs. That kind of shape will be hard-wired into the human consciousness and, perhaps, the subjective differences are explained by the way each of us interprets the experience?

Let's say someone wakes at night to see a dark figure in their room and feels fear? The way their minds make sense of the apparition and emotion would be mainly instinctual with a side-order of the culture they've grown up in.

The collective unconscious is a concept without evidence, but it's a concept that makes talking about these things much easier.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

We're not so different. People are the same world wide. We all have to do the same things to survive, we all dream, we all smile in the same language, etc etc.

I don't think there's any mystery as to why different folks around the world experience the same thing during sleep paralysis.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Satan, like a god, is a man made construct. It goes like this- everything that is good in our world has to do with a god. Anything bad is his opposite Satan. Back in the day this was all we needed to comprehend our reality.
By believing in Satan you absolve yourself of any responsibility and we've heard it countless times- 'Satan made me do it'

Text If he really does, then everything else you hope isn't true will need to be reevaluated. And you don't wan't to do that for some reason. You should keep an open mind and reconsider

lol, what are you on about- you seem to know a lot about me from a couple of my posts.

I feel sorry for you that you have got stuck in religion for so long. And I feel sorry for you that you believe you deserved to be punished for partying. But hey that's religious guilt for you- it can be a hard thing to rid yourself of.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

This is just to cheer you up a little, it made me chuckle and as I was rereading your post this song came back to me, now I can't stop it going around in my mind, I used to work with a guy whom would start singing this whenever he got stressed, while we were making precision engineered automotive part's?.
youtu.be...

I have experienced horrible and terrifying sleep paralysis in the past, it actually made me angry and I would wake up trying to grab whatever was holding me.
edit on 27-10-2015 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Those men in clean white coats sent me to a NAPA store.
Those were the turn of the century driving coats they made the Valet wear in Manitowoc.

The "green fairy" that sent Van Gogh to the insane asylum was Absinthe.

The addicts used special slotted silver spoons.

While he was in the asylum Van Gogh left clues to his illness expressed in paintings such as Starry night.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: lifecitizen

Settle. there is no such thing as Satan.
Yes it is just a coincidence you and your room mate are both experiencing sleep paralysis. But that's all it is. Sleep paralysis, its terrifying I know but you will grow out of it. How old are you? I grew out of it because Im old now but it really gave me a hard time when I was younger.

You're older now, and you still don't believe in Satan ? Sounds like he either has you fooled, or you haven't learned much in all those years.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join