It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina school officer caught on video beating down student in arrest

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: PlasticWizard

He goes from trying to pull one arm to immediately around the neck and underneath the leg. He knew exactly what he was doing. I would have reacted the same way as the girl out of pure instinct. Putting your hands in the area of the neck is automatic freak out mode, especially if it's a full grown man twice your size doing it.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorBloodworth
Same in my school.
No jackboot thugs necessary.
In fact, they would have laughed at you, and said it isn't a criminal matter to be a jackass teenager.
But apparently, now a days, being a teenager is pretty much a felony.
Stupid.

This I can agree with you on!

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
That video has me completely confused.

Why is a cop in a school classroom anyways ?

Did the student commit a crime earlier and the cop followed her to school or something to make an arrest ?

Or did the teacher phone the police ?

I don't get it.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

He goes from trying to pull one arm to immediately around the neck and underneath the leg. He knew exactly what he was doing. I would have reacted the same way as the girl out of pure instinct. Putting your hands in the area of the neck is automatic freak out mode, especially if it's a full grown man twice your size doing it.

I'm not sure what the proper police procedure is for removing a disgruntled students from a class room, I don't think he does either, I think it was a heat of the moment situation that got out of hand. I never said he was right. He should have pulled her out of the class, desk in all and never laid a hand on her. Just slide her on out. I myself would have left when told to the first time by the teacher.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

Did the student commit a crime earlier and the cop followed her to school or something to make an arrest ?

I don't get it.

You are confused because you are Canadian where stuff like that usually don't happen, but yes the teacher or the principal called the cops because she didn't put away her phone and was told to leave the class, for in the U.S today there is zero tolerance combined with zero risks to teachers which = alot of stupidity and zero common sense.
EDIT zero tolerance also includes kicking 1st graders out of school for using gun finger at each other during play time.
edit on 27-10-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

I don't get it.

Most US high-schools have an officer that patrols the school now a days. Larger schools might have more than one. My old high school is pretty small and they have one. He showed up after an idiot brought a gun to school to show off to his friends.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Ah okay, thanks for clarifying.

So teacher's can just freely call the police to clear out an 'unruly' kid from the classroom nowadays ?

I guess that explains why there are more and more people taking up a career in criminality.

Hell, with no cops around to patrol the streets because they're too busy babysitting teenagers in classrooms.... the world is theirs for the taking, woo hoo !

"There are no rules in thunderdome."

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Most US high-schools have an officer that patrols the school now a days. Larger schools might have more than one. My old high school is pretty small and they have one. He showed up after an idiot brought a gun to school to show off to his friends.

Wow, I had no idea it has gotten that bad.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Hardly.
I agreed with part of what you said.
Doesn't mean I know you, like you, or anything else.
And the fact I'm calling it as i see it, is hardly hate speech.
Save that crap for the coming petition to make crimes against police hate crimes.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

SC resident here. I'll refrain from comment on the video, but to answer your question as to why the cop is in the school, SC has at least one police officer in all schools in the state, at all levels, even elementary schools. They are called 'resource officers' or 'SROs' (school resource officers). They are active duty members of local police forces. They have been in schools here for years. Their presence was first seen only in high schools after the Columbine shooting, but after subsequent school shootings, especially New Town, their presence was expanded. This arrangement came about as a result of pressure placed on local school boards by parents frantic over the safety of their kids.

Their initial intended purpose was to provide security & an immediate on scene professionally trained presence in case of a dire threat to students and/or staff, yet as the years have passed & their presence has become commonplace, they now routinely police the school campus & population. They deal with disruptive students, break up fights, make drug busts, confiscate weapons, handle sexual harassment allegations, etc. in junior & senior high. At elementary levels, they most often provide a positive role model for the younger set. They teach safety classes, drug awareness programs, give Stranger Danger tips, & generally present themselves as the Officer Friendly model most of us recall from gentler years long gone.

Whether their presence is necessary or not, or whether it was a knee jerk response by politicians fearful of the next round of elections, polices forces trying to respond to citizens' concerns, & overly worried zealous parents is debatable dependent upon one's POV, but most likely moot in any event, as now that they've become a part of the educational daily life, it's unlikely they will ever not be a part of it in the future.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Allegedly the whole video shows the cop asking her more than a dozen times to leave. This is after the teacher and principal asked her to leave. The cop obviously overreacted, perhaps steroid abuse plays a part.

I say we set up a test with a dozen awkward girls. We all try to get them to move and the person who gets the girl out of the room and the rest of the students education back on track soonest, with least loss of temper, is the winner.

It's easy to wind up a control freak steroid abusing cop to get a 'police brutality' video. He's probably so tainted we couldn't even use him for dogmeat. Whatever we say about him I expect we'd all like to have him between us and a knife wielding criminal.

I hope she gets over her stubbornness. I never did and it's a problem.
edit on 27 10 2015 by Kester because: change wording

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Some asked what else could have been done. Simply move the class to another room and leave the affected girl there to deal with her issues. Send in a counselor.....easy stuff.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Hmmmm, some of you need to visit Worldstarhiphop.com and YouTube, you need to see what "teens" these days are up to. Cops are in classrooms because Daddy's aren't in the home. The discipline these "youths" need is being doled out by the police, not because the police want to, but because it's a last resort. Just Google search some school fights, then ask why cops are in classrooms.

Really take a good long look around the Internet, look for school brawls, classroom fights, teachers getting beat up by students. How would you feel if your 50 year old, 120lb mother was a high school teacher in a Philadelphia district? Look that up, "Philadelphia school brawl"

Some of you are really not paying attention to what's happening with "the future".

www.youtube.com...
Here's a KO'd teacher

www.nbcphiladelphia.com...
Here's a brawl in the hallway

www.youtube.com...
Here are a couple high school girls, this fight is no joke, should normal teachers be expected to intervene?

www.youtube.com...
Some more seriously intense girl fighting.

www.youtube.com...
Oooh, here's a good one, should a little female teacher break this one up?

www.youtube.com...
A couple more lovely ladies, hittin the books real hard.

edit on 27-10-2015 by hammanderr because: videos

edit on 27-10-2015 by hammanderr because: more videos.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I saw an analyst on CNN being interviewed, former LEO Harry Hauwk or some such. He actually said that if it was his daughter acting like that, he would have done worse. WTH?

Besides such use of force on a minor who was no physical threat, regardless of compliance, what also struck me was the very routine, almost Stockholm Syndrome like way the fellow students were acting.
Is it common place at that school for crazy to just break out like that?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: v1rtu0s0

He was too rough obviously, but at the end of the day hes not a school councilor, he's a security guard. The teenager was refusing to move. The other students suffer because of this brat.
edit on 27-10-2015 by PickledOnion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   
It seems like a lot of posters don't understand why a policeman was in the school. I know inner city schools have police officers on the premises during the school day and monitor parking lots as students leave school (after school fights). They also have parole officers in school because some "children" are on parole for crimes.

I don't know if this is an inner city school, but people have to realize the generation of kids today don't respect authority like they did in years past. Back then, students had corporal punishment in the form of paddling. Now the consequences are non existent. Suspension is a 5 or 10 day vacation from school. Teenagers are street smart today. If there are no real consequences for their actions, they will continue act like they're entitled to do what ever they want to do.

Teachers or administrators are not allowed to put their hands on students, or they can or will face legal charges and the district could be held liable for the teacher's actions. This is why police officers are present in schools. If a student is disruptive in the classroom or is confrontational in the classroom, the teacher is required to call an administrator. In turn, administrators will usually notify a police officer in the building and have them present for their own protection.

There are teenaged school aged kids who are gang members. Some deal drugs, and some have even been locked away for physical assaults and murder. There's a good reason why large metropolitan cities have metal detectors at the entrances of their schools. In addition, all school doors are required to be locked during the day. Classroom doors are expected to be closed and locked while class is in session, and monthly lockers searches are routinely done.

Sure doesn't sound like a typical school most people 45 years or older can relate to. Unfortunately, this is the reality of schools today. There are teenagers today who wouldn't think twice of hitting or wrestling a teacher to the floor. I can guarantee there isn't one teacher in an inner city school that has never heard the phrase "f**k you" directed at them by a student. You can't walk down a highs school hallway without hearing the "F" word repeated multiple times by students.

Unfortunately, this young girl escalated this situation with her attitude! The officer asked her to leave the classroom a number of times. This student doesn't have the right to disrupt the education of her fellow students by being confrontational with the teacher and making a scene in the classroom. Where do you draw the line with this kind of behavior? There are rules to follow in both school and in society. I can guarantee, this young lady will not do another stunt like this again. Not only did this girl learn a hard lesson that may change her attitude for the better, the students watching it unfold also learned a lesson.

Most people would be absolutely surprised to know what goes on in high schools around this country. In some schools, the students control the school environment. If it continues on this path, incompetency will be the majority in this country, and lead to the economic decline and American leadership in the world.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Comment here from facebook.

Yep. He's been doing this. All I can say is that this is actually not a race thing this time. His unnecessary, excessive force does not discriminate. My junior year he body slammed a PREGNANT woman & her fiancé in the hallway during lunch. Plenty of other students can attest to this. He's been doing this & we've been asking SV to do something about it but nothing has been done. Deputy Fields does this not because he has to but simply because he can.

So she knew he was going to flip and the media are showing us all a small clip, not the whole charade. How much is she expecting to get paid for kicking off a few riots?
edit on 27 10 2015 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: v1rtu0s0

While the cop apparently seems to have been overly aggressive, you can't dismiss the student's culpability in escalating what could have been an easy situation--for all we know, he had already been in that class for ten minutes trying to peacefully get the student to leave after being so disruptive that the teacher (or someone else) had to alert the officer. We have no video that I could watch (couldn't watch the one in the link, if it's longer than the one you embedded) or that I've seen that shows the entire incident from start to finish.

I want some background on the student, not just an article that repeatedly talks about how hulkish and strong the officer is and how he had a couple of noted incidences in the past.

Two sides...there are always two sides.

And please note that I said the cop was apparently overly aggressive...don't start acting like I'm dismissive of his manhandling of this student. I just have a higher standard of evidence before spouting out a one-sided condemnation of one participant of a two-person incident for which we don't have all of the details. I can easily see how a student could escalate a situation like this to the point where having to physically remove her from her seat would be warranted--I'm just not convinced at all that tossing her 6 feet across the room is ever necessary.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

If none of us can find the whole video and the media is running with this as a big white cop attacks little black girl story then the whole thing is a set-up. He's just the mug who could be relied on to behave like this because steroids have rendered him less endowed. If the allegation of him attacking a pregnant woman is true he probably has a problem with women. That allegation contains the message he isn't racist, just nasty.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
Whatever we say about him I expect we'd all like to have him between us and a knife wielding criminal.

Actually, no. He'd be in the way.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join