It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient warrior's tomb and huge treasure hoard found in Greece

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
This sounds cool ATS. 2 US Archaelogists from the University of Cincinnati have discovered a Greek era tomb of a great warroir of sorts. The jewelry is said to be decorated in the Minoan style; the Minoans are a civilization which existed on the island of Crete and if I remember correctly, preceded the Greeks.

Athens (AFP) - US archaeologists in Greece have uncovered the skeleton of an ancient warrior that has lain undisturbed for more than 3,500 years along with a huge hoard of treasure, the Greek culture ministry announced Monday.

The treasure is "the most important to have been discovered in 65 years" in continental Greece, the ministry said.

The wooden coffin of the unknown soldier -- evidently a person of some importance -- was found on the site of the Mycenaean-era Palace of Nestor on Greece's Peloponnese peninsula.

He had been laid to rest with an array of fine gold jewellery, including an ornate string of pearls, signet rings, a bronze sword with a gold and ivory handle, silver vases and ivory combs.

The jewellery is decorated in the style of the Minoans, the civilisation that flourished on the island of Crete from around 2000 BC, with the figures of deities, animals and floral motifs.

It would be really great to find out who this warrior is. According to the amount of jewelry, pottery, and weapons buried with him, this was someone of importance to the Minoan culture. What says ATS?

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Pretty cool…

gold necklace

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Very interesting, S+F.

The artifacts were found at the Palace of Nestor, the most preserved Greek palace ever found. It was the political and financial center of Messenia during the Mycenean era. The Linear B tablets were also discovered there, inscribed in a language that predated the Greek alphabet by a few hundred years.

Linear B is a syllabic script that was used for writing Mycenaean Greek, the earliest attested language form of Greek. The script predates the Greek alphabet by several centuries. The oldest Mycenaean writing dates to about 1450 BC. It is descended from the older Linear A, an undeciphered earlier script used for writing the Minoan language, as is the later Cypriot syllabary, which also recorded Greek. Linear B, found mainly in the palace archives at Knossos, Cydonia, Pylos, Thebes and Mycenae, disappeared with the fall of Mycenaean civilization during the Bronze Age Collapse. The succeeding period, known as the Greek Dark Ages, provides no evidence of the use of writing. It is also the only one of the three "Linears" (the third being Linear C, aka Cypro-Minoan 1) to be deciphered, by English architect and self-taught linguist, Michael Ventris.

edit on 26-10-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Pretty cool…

gold necklace

Yes it is.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Wow.. fantastic!
I personally believe the Minoan culture is the remnants of legendary Atlantis. ..it was far more developed than we know...speculation. ..but damn fine speculation

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Given how badly the Greek government needs money, I bet they confiscate the find.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
strange how people were able to die without their kids and sharks tearing at every morsel of wealth they had.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
He was probably attributed with eating more enemies than his counterparts.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
It will be interesting to see if he is identified in the tablets they found.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: CIAGypsy
Given how badly the Greek government needs money, I bet they confiscate the find.

This was one of my first thoughts as well.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO
strange how people were able to die without their kids and sharks tearing at every morsel of wealth they had.

Well, to be fair, for all we know, the treasure found with him could only be a small percentage, the rest having been fought over by his kids and taken by the state.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This is a brilliant find and could lead to all sorts of new theories about Minoan Crete. Recent findiongs and theories have already turned on its head the notion that Minoan Crete was a "peaceful" trading Empire. In contrast, extensive evidence is turning up that shows Minoan Crete hired out Warriors. More than this, the Minoan way of war (weapons, techniques, etc) appears to have been copied by the Myceneans, leading to the rise of Greece. For more info, a good article is here.....

War was central to Europe's first civilization

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
Wow.. fantastic!
I personally believe the Minoan culture is the remnants of legendary Atlantis. ..it was far more developed than we know...speculation. ..but damn fine speculation

No, the minoans are the template for Plato's Atlantis, just do some reading about the city of akrotiri, on thera and it becomes very clear

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10

originally posted by: BlueJacket
Wow.. fantastic!

No, the minoans are the template for Plato's Atlantis, just do some reading about the city of akrotiri, on thera and it becomes very clear

Here is the best piece of evidence for that assertion,

"Original Reproduction"
Late Bronze Age (LBA)
Late Minoan I (LM I) Period
Late Cycladic I (LC I) Period
Painted sometime before ~1613 BC
Akrotiri, Thera (Santorini), Greece

This exquisite fresco was found during the excavations conducted by Spyridon Marinatos from 1967 to 1974 at Akrotiri on the southern coast of the ringed islands of Santorini (the Pompeii of the Aegean) which was covered by thick deposits of ash and pumice from the great Bronze Age eruption of the Santorini marine volcano that occurred between 1627 and 1600 BC. It was discovered on the south wall of room 5 in the West House and is 3.90 meters (12.8 feet) wide and 0.43 meters (16.9 inches) high. It is considered the single most valuable source for information on the life and technology of the Bronze Age Aegean ever found.
It shows a island with a ring channel and one cut to the sea, just as Plato described.

www.minoanatlantis.com...
Add to that,
This a reconstruction of the palace at Knossos in Crete,

Notice the 3-4 and 5 story buildings, Akrotiri, which was a "suburb" of the now destroyed main city had 4 and 5 story buildings with hot and cold running water, piped in, just as Plato describes, and flush toilets and a centralized sewer system.

The Minoans held the myceneans as client state, they ruled over them, likely using their military prowess to subjugate the Greek kings, Plato's war on Athens, which did not yet exist as a city state.

The Minoans controlled trade shipping through out the med and out into the atlantic.

See my thread on Mediterainian Ships in the atlantic They controlled everything from The Levant and Anatolia( asia minor) all the way to the straights of Gibraltar,(Plato's Pillars Of Hercules, from north Africa to Iberia and Britain (a Minoan dagger was found at a burial at stone henge )and Ireland. They cut the Iberians out of the copper and tin trades by building fortified cities in the mining areas.
They were so influential that the Egyptians granted them their own port city.
Sure sounds like Plato's story got its start here.
edit on p00000010k541022015Tue, 27 Oct 2015 13:54:34 -0500k by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Sadly, the Minoans weren't into inscriptions... I doubt we'll find a name. The written material is so scarce that it's not been convincingly deciphered.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd
Byrd,
Have you seen the newest work on the phaistos disk linking it to the myceneans and the sea peoples.

The whereabouts of the homeland or homelands of the so-called Sea Peoples have been endlessly debated. This article re-examines this problem by looking at one of the ‘Eteocretan’ inscriptions from the town of Praisos. It is argued that this text is written in an Indo-European language belonging to the OscanUmbrian branch of the Italic language family. Based on this finding it is suggested that this language must have arrived in eastern Crete during the Late Bronze Age, when Mycenaean rulers recruited groups of mercenaries from Sicily, Sardinia and various parts of the Italian peninsula. When the Mycenaean state system collapsed around 1200 BC, some of these groups moved to the northern Aegean, to Cyprus and to the coastal districts of the Levant. It is also suggested that this reconstruction explains the presence of an Etruscan-speaking community in sixth-century-BC Lemnos. An interesting corollary of this theory is that the Sea Peoples were present in the Mycenaean world some considerable time before its collapse in the early twelfth century

dienekes.blogspot.com...
And those island mercenaries were the same mercenaries the minoans used.
On a side note, last year I found a blog where the author traced the development of mycenaean armor, sheild and helmet technologies, from the black sea coast of Anatolia, thru the eastern agean to Crete/minoa and to the Greeks.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10
a reply to: Byrd
Byrd,
Have you seen the newest work on the phaistos disk linking it to the myceneans and the sea peoples.

The whereabouts of the homeland or homelands of the so-called Sea Peoples have been endlessly debated. This article re-examines this problem by looking at one of the ‘Eteocretan’ inscriptions from the town of Praisos. It is argued that this text is written in an Indo-European language belonging to the OscanUmbrian branch of the Italic language family. Based on this finding it is suggested that this language must have arrived in eastern Crete during the Late Bronze Age, when Mycenaean rulers recruited groups of mercenaries from Sicily, Sardinia and various parts of the Italian peninsula. When the Mycenaean state system collapsed around 1200 BC, some of these groups moved to the northern Aegean, to Cyprus and to the coastal districts of the Levant. It is also suggested that this reconstruction explains the presence of an Etruscan-speaking community in sixth-century-BC Lemnos. An interesting corollary of this theory is that the Sea Peoples were present in the Mycenaean world some considerable time before its collapse in the early twelfth century

dienekes.blogspot.com...
And those island mercenaries were the same mercenaries the minoans used.
On a side note, last year I found a blog where the author traced the development of mycenaean armor, sheild and helmet technologies, from the black sea coast of Anatolia, thru the eastern agean to Crete/minoa and to the Greeks.

No, but I remain unconvinced that it's an ancient artifact.

Having scanned the PDF mentioned (and noted that it's in a chemistry journal... not an archaeological journal), I'm also not convinced of the author's conclusions. While the author starts off on a linguistic note, he suddenly announces an identification of a word on a basis that seems to be weak. I also boggled a bit that he was referencing Maspero's theories... Maspero's outdated by more than 100 years.

However, an interesting read for my morning coffee.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Ok question is it alright to call the Minoans Greeks?? I know they were on the site of what was to become Greece but all too often I have read folks conflating the two not saying this was done in this thread, just something I observed in other places.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
Ok question is it alright to call the Minoans Greeks?? I know they were on the site of what was to become Greece but all too often I have read folks conflating the two not saying this was done in this thread, just something I observed in other places.

If you're talking about the genetic people, they're Greeks. However, if you're talking about the culture, the people of that island could be either Cycladic culture - 3200–2000 BC (en.wikipedia.org...), Minoan civilization - 2600 to 1400 BC (en.wikipedia.org...) or Mycenean 1600–1100 BC (en.wikipedia.org...)

For myself, I prefer to identify the island (there were several) and then the civilization rather than calling them Greeks.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   
The information given are incorrect, I wonder if those "scientists" know history at all...

Athens as a name is very modern, original name of Athens was Akti or Aktiki taken from the name Aktaios an ancient king of today Athens. Later on it changed to Kekropea from Kekrops or Cekrops (a reptilian) king.

There is lots of conspiracy, myths but also actual events about him and "modern" goddess Athena. After Atlantis the real and true gods of Ellines departed, the rebels/invaders took over (dragonian alliance). Kekropas was rumored as a shape shifter into a reptile and those who actually see his true form by accident, they found dead later on. Myths want him as Athena's child and Athena forced him as a king of today Athens. But real Athena left much before 20000 BC lol. It is also known that the actor modern Athena true name was Nirieys (or something like it).

Anyway, 3500 years ago, Aktiki made ellections for the name of their town, people had to decide between 2 names. Poseidonia or Kekropia and Kekropia won for just 1 vote!! After Kekropas death, they changed it into Athens to honour the "modern" Athena...
They also forced Athena belief into Olympian belief by wars and executions, meaning that Athena was not mend to be in the Olympians at all. We have references in my island, that athenians came by boats and forced Athena belief, those who opposed was executed. True Athena was in the ancient history of the time, how she helped Promytheus in the creation in planet Mars (Cydonia area) and her participation in the galactic great war. This is much before Atlantis.

Suddenly we have a reptile Athena 3.500 years ago, making reptile babies and force them into today Athens as kings.
Today every movement in Hellas for the sculptures of Athena to return back in Athens are organized by jews... Because the modern Athena (1500 bc) has nothing to do with Ellines and the ancient Athena, but them instead.

As you may see (this is just a small example) the reptilian documents are much older than the today conspiracies. And there is no way that today Athens, was known as Athens 3500y ago.

Verdict :
1) 3500y ago, Athens was known as Akti (and the title Athenians does not apply to the real thing).
2) Athens took the name from a lady acting or naming herself as Goddess Athena and making babies rumored to be reptiles and in a much later date.
edit on 23-5-2016 by Ploutonas because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join