It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US navy to send destroyer within 24 hours to challenge China territorial claims.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

Having seen pretty intimately how well our responses have been to less, there as much as they claim they were ready, any nuclear detonation would have insured major chaos for the first hour or so. They would have eventually launched, but it would have been delayed somewhat while they tried to figure out what the hell just happened.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: odzeandennz
China should respond the same way we would respond if the Chinese sent their equivalent to destroyers within 12 NM of our shores.

Well according to INternational Law CHINA does not have a valid claim or a leg to stand on seeing as how artificially created islands fall outside of the territorial waters of CHina.

ANd if i remember already CHina has already blinked and will not do anything to the U S ship when it does come by.

1) China is not the only country which has claimed partial territory in the region. Vietnam has already made its claim Philippines etc. the US didnt bat an eye when they did.
2)im not sure what 'blink' means, maybe a quick blind war mongering connotation, most likely.

.. but since the late 80's China had control over that region (in the SOUTH CHINA SEA)

this thread will derail off topic... how should China Answer is the question...... i dont see any other countries sending WARSHIPS to the SOUTH CHINA SEA, just the US, why? the US wants a piece of the region for strategic military purposes, and we have as usual, put it under the guise of other agendas; History would prove this right...

remember, other countries have already claimed their regions in the area, none of which would ever pose a threat to the US Economically, Politically, Militarily etc...but China!?
Patriotism is like glaucoma keeping people from reading between the lines.

SOrry but The thread is about china and not the others. ALSO th e OTHER NATIONS have not CREATED ISLANDS OUT OF INTERNATIONAL SEA BED/SAND.

ALso Just because a area is named after a country does not mean IT IS OWNED BY THEM. Iran and th e Persian gulf is a great example(since they are persians get it?) Also im not asking for war so stop implying it and insulting me.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Correct, unless these islands are mandated under the IMO (International Maritime Organization) as base territorial land they are within the "high seas" and fair game - the law of the sea is extremely complex and, pardon the pun, but the US and China are both "testing the waters" here.

Any provocative act on behalf of the Chinese will be a very very poor decision of their behalf - because this is the high-seas and therefore he who has the biggest baddest toy wins.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Isurrender73

The Senkaku Islands were claimed by Japan in 1895.

The Diaoyu Islands have an interesting history.

The Spratly Islands dispute is interesting too.

The Chinese are adding to pre-existing islands is one argument that could be employed.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: aorAki

Which still doesn't allow them to extend an EEZ. It's quite clear in the link I posted before that within your own EEZ you can build islands all you want, but that doesn't extend your EEZ, or territorial waters any.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: aorAki

Which still doesn't allow them to extend an EEZ. It's quite clear in the link I posted before that within your own EEZ you can build islands all you want, but that doesn't extend your EEZ, or territorial waters any.

I also looked this up zaphod. That artificial islands NO NOT HAVE LEGAL CLAIM TO NATURAL RESOURCES under them or around them.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
So are we going to be using the same rules over the next 20 years as we exploit the Arctic? I've seen the science. The US has the weakest claim.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: joho99

Now can they also Stop Cameron and Co turning My country into a traitor and betraying our friendship with the US by making ourselves China's economic Whore.

The British navy should be there to help the Yank's out (though Cameron scuppored most of our capability like the good little suck up to the chinese that he is).
edit on 26-10-2015 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Really? How long has the U.S. been Canada's ally?

Who do you think the U.S. would rather have control of the Arctic? Russia? I don't think so.

You asked what business the U.S. had that far from home. My response ALLIES. A relationship Canada hasn't suffered from.

Does distance make or break being an ally? I think not. Simple point I was making in response..

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Mastronaut

I posted months ago the opinion that the U.S. was backdoor rubberstamping the takeover of those islands....and the resultant STABLE oil source for China.

Their economy is part of the big three and a stable economy is in the interests of TPTB. Oil from Iran or the Saudis is less than stable.

My guess is, if China is smart, they let this slide. They will get their control of the China South Sea and it's oil revenue.

The U.S. must make some effort to appease their allies in the region....

edit on 26-10-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
CNN: Misson Complete

Cnn just released that the US has passed within 12 miles and is now headed back, or at least that mission is "concluded"

Washington (CNN)—[Breaking news update, posted at 10:35 p.m. ET]

The U.S. Navy sent a destroyer within 12 miles of one of China's man-made islands in a contested area of the South China Sea on Tuesday, a U.S. defense official told CNN. The operation has since concluded, the official said.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
So are we going to be using the same rules over the next 20 years as we exploit the Arctic? I've seen the science. The US has the weakest claim.

Unless its 12 miles from any country NO ONE should be able to claim the artic ocean. it should be a UN operation and declared a DMZ with no warships allowwed. ever.

As to a way to screw chinese claims to the spratly islands. anyone ever heard to horizontal drilling? let em keep th e island,and suck out the oil under their noses.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
LOL!!! Really-did folks on here think that China would "do" something? Geez you guys need some excitement.

US destroyer has already passed within the 12 mile "exclusion" zone and exited. China blinked...no incident.

Sorry guys!

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75

Cnn just released that the US has passed within 12 miles and is now headed back, or at least that mission is "concluded"

The U.S. Navy sent a destroyer within 12 miles of one of China's man-made islands in a contested area of the South China Sea on Tuesday, a U.S. defense official told CNN. The operation has since concluded, the official said.

So the US wanted to see if China actually took military action, that is the most stupidest mission I've seen in a while...

Talk about provocation, that is a mission concluded, China didn't do shat now that US moved in 12 N miles of the buffer zone...Seriously What?

Anyway, it didn't turn out that bad, perhaps it's a too high stakes game, that it just that, as SublimeCraft mentioned earlier, "testing the waters".

Can somebody slap that naughty Obama for me in the US, please...

Thanks
edit on 26-10-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
"Most stupidest" thats the worst grammar i have seen in a while LOL. Really-someone thought China would actually do something? Get off the Playstation!!

originally posted by: InnerPeace2012

originally posted by: Martin75

So the US wanted to sea if China actually took military action, that is the most stupidest mission I've seen in a while...

Talk about provocation, that is a mission concluded, China didn't do shat now that US moved in 12 N miles of the buffer zone...Seriously What?

Anyway, it didn't turn out that bad, perhaps it's a too high stakes game, that it just that, as SublimeCraft mentioned earlier, "testing the waters".

Can somebody slap that naughty Obama for me in the US, please...

Thanks

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The US needs to go into the 12 mile zone and stay there, not run out like a pansy going nany nany nany I crossed you line and got away. Go over the line and stay over the line and we will see if China does something about it or not. I am sure they were warned and then just left, why not ignore the warning and just decide to go to the island itself. . . . .

Do something that will send a real message. . . . .

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

No we just need to challenge it we can't exactly stay as the ships require support ,not to mention it is a political confrontation right now.
THAT can change.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: princeofpeace

I am sorry the US mission was straight up stupid, grammar prince...lolz.

Peace

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: princeofpeace

Some here were downright GIDDY at the thought of the US taking it's comuppance for daring to challenge Chinese authority..

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The same way China passed by the US within 12 miles but continued on their way? Are you an idiot? Thats what these countries do...they dont "camp out" there. China said if the US tested the zone they would respond...well the US tested and China DIDNT.

Anyone who thinks the US was going to send ships there and just drop anchor is completely void and out of touch.

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
The US needs to go into the 12 mile zone and stay there, not run out like a pansy going nany nany nany I crossed you line and got away. Go over the line and stay over the line and we will see if China does something about it or not. I am sure they were warned and then just left, why not ignore the warning and just decide to go to the island itself. . . . .

Do something that will send a real message. . . . .

edit on 26-10-2015 by princeofpeace because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join