It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US navy to send destroyer within 24 hours to challenge China territorial claims.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: seaswine
I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, yea, China, not cool making false land claims, and something needs to be done.

But does it have to be the US? This early on? The idea of poking the dragon scares me. Their warnings sound pretty serious.

Also, it seems a bit grotesque to send a bunch of young men and woman possibly to their grave. China might not have the best equipment in their gun safe, but they are DEFINITELY capable of sinking a destroyer if they really want to.

If China sinks the USS Lassen, those artificial islands will be non-existent within a few hours.
Don't worry though the U.S already bombed Tianjin and the Chinese did nothing. (According to YT)

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
A good question to ponder is really how would china react?

Unlike with the Kremlin and US over in Syria, this is no proxy war, but a likely stand-off between China and the USA in the event the US warship hit South China Sea.

China did warn military action earlier, and apparently said to take military action if any intrusion is made within 12 nautical miles from their man-made island.

Interesting developments to say the least, it looks like the pawns are moving in position for this final showdown.

I hope WW3 doesn't have to start of over a stupid artificial island...

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: InnerPeace2012
Does the United States have the political unity to carry it into a war with China?
I'm not sure, and the Chinese might not think so.
In which case their best tactic might be a limited reaction which sends the ball back into the American court.
What about sinking the ship and ostentatiously rescuing the survivors, giving them the best medical treatment and repatriating them on request.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
russians missiles on Cuba was reason enough for the usa to start ww3 once.... ! Cuba is some farther away than 12 miles?????a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ressiv

And that didn't have a damn thing to do with it. The Cuban Missile Crisis was about Russia putting missiles close enough to the US that they could wipe out our command structure before we could give the order to retaliate if they launched.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Sounds like a chance to haggle over the whole usa debt issue we have with china.

We may have a leg to stand on if we only had a brain.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: joho99

A prediction.

This is a 'face' issue. The Chinese have put forth much rhetoric how it's their South China Sea and will defend it.

If the U.S. moves a destroyer through that (arbitrary) 12 mile limit and the Chinese do nothing other than yap, howl and wail, they lose face, internationally.

Rest assured the U.S. will have assets within range to respond, defend and , if need be, retaliate against any attacks or even sinking of that destroyer.

After all, it's an election cycle in the U.S., the price of oil is too low with the biggest benefactor of those prices being China, and a minor to potentially huge conflict will rally the U.S. citizenry around it's President....and the controlling party of the White House.....

If China attacks the destroyer, the destroyer will have ROE that allow defense.

If the destroyer is damaged, the offending base will be retaliated against.

If the Destroyer is sunk, the offending base will be destroyed.

If China does nothing? Others will follow the U.S. lead in ignoring that 12 mile limit.....

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
loll as you very well know the russian action was an respons to the installation of US missiles in Turkey at the sojet borders...
wat I ment is that the USA thinks that ALL sea's belong to them....the fools....
to the a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Yeah but they really wouldn't need to. They could strangle the US economy

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Tjoran

Not without 'strangling' their own first....

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ressiv

I'm well aware of that, but the big difference was that a launch from Turkey would leave them plenty of time to shoot back, where a launch from Cuba wouldn't.

The US has treaty obligations in the area, and no one else has the ability to do this without starting a war. China has already proven they'll shoot at other nations in the area.

So China illegally claims thousands of square miles of sea and territory, and the US is an idiot for sailing through the area legally. Got it.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
hihi.... would the US allow an russian ore chinese vessel just outside the 12 miles zone of Diego Garcia ????a reply to: ressiv

link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Yeah, But as if china really cares that much about its people. Besides, The US isnt China's only source of income. It's going to hurt but not as badly as it would hurt the US

link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I would think the political differences in the US, if any, will be set aside if there is any military confrontation with China.

But what are the chances of there being a military confrontation between the two nations? Is something that remains to be known.

I think there is alot to loose for China, as it is surrounded entirely by US allies, even NK will have to deal with the South and Japs, to mingle with the US as they are known for openly threatening to attack US militarily.

China, at the least should be weary but try not to take any military action.

edit on 26-10-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-10-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: oops forget to add a 'not' in 'not take military action'

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: joho99

Could we get a escalation or will China blink?

China will blink, commies always do.

I do not know the controversy on this islands issue but if China sailed up to a middle of the ocean in international waters and made an artificial island then that is illegal (i think).

Or do the Chinese are putting a logic of those offshore drilling structures/platforms which are erected. Does anyone know the international laws on those set up and after oil is drilled then do they have to be taken out?

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Once the lead...or missiles start flying, unity isn't an issue any longer. Survival is.

The unity will be born of fear....

edit on 26-10-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
yep.... Cuba/ Washington 1900 KM
Turkey /Moscow 1700KM.....
youre fully right... !a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ressiv
hihi.... would the US allow an russian ore chinese vessel just outside the 12 miles zone of Diego Garcia ????a reply to: ressiv

I'm sure the Brits would handle it, since DG belongs to them, along with the entire archipelago. They're pretty quick to enforce the 12 NM limit.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Amazing the US talking about international law, which they break all the time and are breaking right now in Syria and have broken in Iraq and many, many other places.

The US, the great hypocrite, speaks with forked tongue

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Tjoran

How?
If they tried it would be considered an attack on our economy, same game there.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join