It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting into cooking, found this awesome video on eggs!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I'm trying my best to switch from pre-made foods to making everything from scratch. Anything from Meals, to breads, to condiments, to sauces, to seasonings (and so on). So far it's been several months since my wife and I really started taking it seriously, and the main issue we're both having is exactly what to make.

Just yesterday I found a cool little video that was just what we were looking for. Something that showed us a lot of new things we haven't even heard about, and some we didn't really realize contained it. So we're going to go through each and every list and try to recreate it for ourselves to try

Here's the video for now, feel free to let us in on some other things that you can do with eggs as the centerfold ingredient!

edit on 26/10/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Thanks for the vid, me and many others do really love eggs.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I can add:

omelets which are fun since you can get very creative with fillings/toppings
    Poached, which makes one of my favorite breakfasts, Eggs Benedict (since you need egg to make the Hollandaise too)
    Used in aioli.
    Coddled eggs, which I use in Caesar Salad
    Quiche
    Deviled, I have tons of different filling mixtures I like to prepare
    Huevos Rancheros

Those are a few I make more often than other methods along with many of the ones in your video. In culinary school one of the first things you learn is the versatility of eggs and how to prepare them in many ways.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I ate an egg once which was a duck fetus, they chopped the top off and poured hot soup in and down the hatch beak n all.
Love eggs.
I like quail the best followed by normal duck eggs on a butty

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
If you haven't already, make the scotch eggs. Like, tonight for dinner!! I discovered them at a small mom and pop restaurant near me a few years ago and love to make them every now and again. (I'd do it weekly but for the insane amount of cholesterol/fat)

Use Jimmy Dean hot sausage, the kind in the cyndrylical wrapper (if available in your area ) with a bit of sage added to the raw sausage.

You're going to hate me once you taste it.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
It's not only healthier for you to make things from scratch, it's also great on the budget. I've been scratch making practically everything for years and I've saved thousands of dollars over time. Eggs are one of the most economical souces of protien and essencial fats (like Omega 3) while being very low on your daily caloric intake.
Thanks for the vid.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: seaswine
If you haven't already, make the scotch eggs. Like, tonight for dinner!! I discovered them at a small mom and pop restaurant near me a few years ago and love to make them every now and again. (I'd do it weekly but for the insane amount of cholesterol/fat)

Use Jimmy Dean hot sausage, the kind in the cyndrylical wrapper (if available in your area ) with a bit of sage added to the raw sausage.

You're going to hate me once you taste it.

That's the first one I want to try! There's a good recipe on AllRecipes.com but I'm not quite sure what to use for the oil?

originally posted by: Daavin
It's not only healthier for you to make things from scratch, it's also great on the budget. I've been scratch making practically everything for years and I've saved thousands of dollars over time. Eggs are one of the most economical souces of protien and essencial fats (like Omega 3) while being very low on your daily caloric intake.
Thanks for the vid.

Yes! Those are the main reasons we wanted to switch to scratch-made foods. Health, budget and taste. Seems nice and well rounded to me

edit on 26/10/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
[
That's the first one I want to try! There's a good recipe on AllRecipes.com but I'm not quite sure what to use for the oil?

I typically use vegetable oil for those since the sausage will produce a good amount of its own fat.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Ghost147
[

I typically use vegetable oil for those since the sausage will produce a good amount of its own fat.

Good, that's all I have at the moment

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Note on the scotch eggs. No need to fry them, bake instead. Here is (ruffly) my recipe that I use.

Mix of Sausage, like Maple and Regular. Spices for sau - Worcester, Liquid smoke, sometimes teriyaki, Mrs Dash Table Blend.

Mix the spices and liquid into the sausage

Hard Boiled Eggs - Start with Cold water, place eggs in water start stove, set timer for 20 mins. At end of 20 mins, take one egg out and spin it longways, if it wobbles, the yolk is not done.

Crunch up Ritz Crackers

Make sure to have 1-3 raw eggs for egg wash..

Assembly

Take hard boiled eggs, and wrap in Sausage, dip in raw egg, roll in crunched up Ritz crackers.

Bake 400°F for about 30 mins. They are good hot or cold, but they usually don't last long enough to get cold.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Skada

Mini ones with quail eggs
Gonna attempt this.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skada
Note on the scotch eggs. No need to fry them, bake instead. Here is (ruffly) my recipe that I use.

Oh yes, I forgot that you can bake them instead. That will definitely make things quite a bit easier. thanks for the tips!

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Mini ones with quail eggs
Gonna attempt this.

That would be an interesting idea

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Oooo, note on Scrambled Eggs

Take eggs, add (preferably 1-3 Tablespoons of) Heavy Cream OR milk to the eggs while mixing them up; add spices of choice, again I like Mrs Dash because of the mix of spices they use.

Finely Chop or Mince Onions
Make sure you have Cold Cut (lunchmeat) Ham, either smoked, plain, sugar cured (doesn't matter), heck add roast beef if ya want - Cut into small bits

Use REAL BUTTER, not fake crap - doesn't matter if it is salted or not (if using unsalted, add a bit of salt to eggs while cooking)

Grate Cheese of choice - I use either: Colby-Jack, smoked Gruyere, Gouda, or a mix of a bunch of cheeses.

Assembly:
Heat pan - Med to Med High
Melt butter in pan, a few tblspoons will do.
Saute Onions to preferred doneness - some like them caramelized, some like them crunchy.
Add meat, and continue cooking
add eggs, cook until still slightly wet.

Adding milk or cream keeps the eggs moist, and yummy.

add either a garnish of Picante Sauce, or Dijon Mustard.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I would suggest not whisking dairy (or any other liquid) into the eggs prior to cooking as it thins out the eggs and you tend to overcook them. When preparing French scrambled eggs you add the cream while the eggs are cooking to make them creamier and without a watery texture.

edit on 26-10-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Yeah, you have to watch the eggs so they don't get too dry. I never overcook the eggs, but I have been doing it for a while. Use heavy whipping cream instead of Milk. you will not be disappointed. Nothing like moist scrambled eggs with onions and meat with a sprinkling of smoked cheeses. mmmmmm.
---------------
One more idea that we came across for something like Ramen.

Take hard boiled eggs, shell them, make sure you get off the film. Soak them for 30-1hr in a solution of Liquid Smoke, Soy Sauce, and teriyaki sauce. Cut in half and put into ramen, or just eat them, whatever, I don't judge.... because I packed away half dozen of them that way. (And by packed, I mean ate.)

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Use heavy whipping cream instead of Milk.

I do not add anything to eggs when whisking them for scrambled eggs-cream, milk, water, etcetera. High quality eggs do not need additional lipids or flavoring when being scrambled and my sole concession is when I make French-style scrambled eggs and add cream and/or butter to the nearly finished eggs.

edit on 26-10-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Well then you can disregard my suggestions then, and move on your merry way. My ideas are clearly not for you then. To the rest of the masses, they may be just what they need.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

My ideas are clearly not for you then. To the rest of the masses, they may be just what they need.

For a person like the Original Poster, who is admittedly a novice, I make the same suggestions I do to everyone else in a similar circumstance, learn the proper basic techniques, then feel free to experiment.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

gasp!butter!!!

Just sayin'

Another 2 of my more favorite egg-y concoctions:

- gelato. Since i eat low carb so much, this is a mainstay for me
- manicotti, when im being bad. But egg and ricotta just work.

a 3rd that I love, but don't occasion to make as often as I'd prefer is Egg Keema. Its an indian dish that can be made a million different ways (typical of Indian food), but I prefer simple grated egg, soy sauce, scallion, and some red curry powder.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Eggs are awesome, they're such a versatile food. We eat a lot of eggs in our house.

Here's another super simple dish to prepare with eggs:

Butter up a muffin pan, crack one egg into each muffin cup (however many you want to make), sprinkle on top of each egg some chopped green onions or chives, chopped cooked bacon or ham or crumbled sausage, shredded cheese, salt & pepper or whatever seasonings you want.

Toss it into a 350 degree oven just until the whites have firmed up and the cheese is bubbly golden (if you want a runny yolk), or cook for a bit longer if you want a firmly cooked yolk. Use a butter knife to gently loosen the egg "cups" from each muffin cup.

And just simply serve on buttered toast, or on top of hashbrowns, or on a bbq'd steak, or just by themselves... or whatever your heart desires !

Easy peasy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join