It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A proposal. National Monument for Mass Shooting Victims.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This is a national issue as it effects that whole country but one may ask why? Well these incidents are increasing in frequency and when they land everything gets blown up with rhetoric and hyperbole about rights and such and the people that were killed are lost in the noise. Remember The Shawshank Redemption scene after the guard beat and inmate to death. Andy asks, "What was his name?" Same thing. Why not have a monument for those folks so that they can be remembered?

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I think it's a great idea! I'm pretty sure the NRA would fight it, though.

Norway's Monument to Shooting Victims

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Not the worst idea in the world. Where would it be built? Fortunately I have never had any direct connection with anyone killed in a mass-shooting, but I suspect it may be more appropriate for the communities affected to have memorials/monuments locally (which I'm guessing many do).

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Are you kidding? do you know why those sick #s are doing it? for a moment of #ing fame

you would be giving them immortality

its sad it really is but # off with ''lets build a monument commemorating children who have been shot

what kind of statue are you wanting to unveil? a reminder of the human sickness or what? i don't understand why the poor dead need a statue.

they will be remembered in the hearts and minds of the family and friends.
edit on 26-10-2015 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

Where would it be built?

Good question.

Fortunately I have never had any direct connection with anyone killed in a mass-shooting, but I suspect it may be more appropriate for the communities affected to have memorials/monuments locally (which I'm guessing many do).

This affects the whole country. I can't see a downside to having a central location for everyone.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: hknudzkknexnt

A wall with names etched would be enough. Why would one want to sweep these people under the rug?

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I really don't, but those gunners who are insane could see this as a new way to become famous. kill enough people you get a list of those who you murdered etched into a wall

its just like the media, the more they cover it the more it happens. BECAUSE of their sick desire for any type of fame, no matter the cost. don't tell me you haven't noticed the correlation between media and mass shooting events

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
My question is why are people who are shot in a mass shooting more important than people who are shot individually by a stranger? Let's say you are at home and someone breaks into your house to steal and shoots you and you die. Why are you not just as deserving of recognition as the victims of mass shootings? And what if you are at home with an elderly parent and a child and they are shot and killed along with you. Does that make it more important because 3 people died instead of 1 ?

Sal

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: SallieSunshine

Because it involves the most innocent of our society, the children and they attack #ing schools, it destroys the core of what we thought was safe

The only reason i disagree is because it could do more harm then good considering motives behind the ones who do these horrible things

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I guarantee you more kids are killed by their parents than by mass shooters and I think being killed by your parent is way more tragic.

Sal

a reply to: hknudzkknexnt

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: SallieSunshine

what im saying is the symbology of this is much greater then that

i see what your trying to say though, maybe a monument for all fallen children would be better

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
National memorials should be reserved for people that did something extraordinary to serve their country, however, if it makes people feel special then I guess it doesn't hurt anything. I think we have to put up with these PC things in the country right now until people change their entitlement attitudes.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

So you're not OK with this either then?

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

So you're not OK with this either then?

As I stated above I am not against the national shooting victims memorial. I don't agree with its necessity, but I don't oppose it per se. Would you be okay with a national abortion victims memorial? To me there are a lot more victims of abortion than shooting victims.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Please leave that ridiculous analogy out of this. This isn't about abortion.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Why don't we have a national monument to the 400,000+ medical blunder caused deaths in America every year?
www.healthcareitnews.com...
What? That issue hasn't become politicized yet? Ah, I see...

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Why not open a thread about that? This isn't political. This is about being human.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

It also ain't about caring about the victims of mass shootings, Trep. It's never letting a crisis go to waste along with seizing an opportunity to force America into lockstep with the rest of the world. Needless to say, I resist.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Some might think that the idea of a memorial isn't so much about the victims as it is an anti-gun agenda.
I am not saying that you have that agenda, but some do.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

a reply to: burdman30ott6

Why not open a thread about that? This isn't political. This is about being human.

I call shenanigans on that claim. Of course it is being political.

Look, I'm not suggesting YOU don't care. I'm saying I believe the people who care are being manipulated by the media and by politics, both American and global. They're taking your humanity and using it to their own desires and wants. Don't get played, my brother.
edit on 26-10-2015 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join