It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘YouTube effect’ has left police officers under siege, law enforcement leaders say:

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Chiefs of some of the nation’s biggest police departments say officers in American cities have pulled back and have stopped policing as aggressively as they used to, fearing that they could be the next person in a uniform featured on a career-ending viral video.

That was the unifying — and controversial — theory reached Wednesday at a private meeting of more than 100 of the nation’s top law enforcement officers and politicians.

With homicide rates soaring inexplicably this year in dozens of U.S. cities, the group convened by new U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch concluded with a brief news conference promising a robust response to the reversal of decades of falling violent crime rates.
www.washingtonpost.com... -say/

Ok so here we have the old can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs argument, police chiefs waaah!! we can't can't do our jobs properly because everyone is recording and Youtubing the hell out of us...whaaa.. Gerber!! so in order to lower crime rates it is necessary to commit crimes or at least questionable acts, I say the opposite the more disrespectful LOE is to the public the more blow back it will cause and actually play into the hands of real criminals who can recruit younger members of society into their fold by pointing out that the people in blue are just another rival gang member.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Answer is clear. Get rid of youtube.
I'd be willing to sacrifice it, if that helps our officers.

+39 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

This is the BS logic they're using to cry??

"We can't police aggressively because we're afraid we'll get recorded and lose our jobs????"

Then police according to LAW and stop being so jacked up and over the top aggressive and you won't have to worry, you jerk offs.

Thank god for the prevalence and ease of recording devices.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Loveaduck

Answer is clear. Get rid of youtube.
I'd be willing to sacrifice it, if that helps our officers.

Ya that's gonna happen.
The worst hard core criminals, the lifers.
They don't get a beat down because experience has taught
them not to #### with the cops. But some men you just kan't
reach. So you get what we had here last week. Which is the
way he wants it.

Well, he gets it... I don't like it ,,, anymore than you men.

Woe, how'd that happen?
edit on Rpm102515v02201500000017 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

+29 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   

The problem was declaring a war on everything. The police should have never felt like their was a war on drugs, or a war on crime.

The war the police were told to fight is biting back. YouTube has given the citizens a non violent way to fight back. The police need to understand that their job is to protect and serve, not beat into submission.

It's not the job of the police to prevent every crime. It is the job of the police to ensure criminals are caught, tried and convicted.

We shouldn't blame the cops for crime rates, crime rates are a societal problem that needs societal solutions.

Improve the conditions of the poor, provide better mental care and provide rehabilitation instead of incarceration for non violent offensives.

There should have never been a war on crime. There should be a coordinated effort to eliminate the root of crime. And this effort is a bigger problem then the police alone are equipped to solve.

Add - NSA surveillance and gun confiscation aren't the solution. I would prefer to live in a world with crime then to give up my civil liberties protected by the constitution.

edit on 25-10-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

+38 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

"Undeniable accountability" (my new buzz-phrase)

Live streaming body cameras will provide undeniable accountability to a culture so entrenched in a philosophy of "it's us against the civilians" that the civilians have found a means of combating their attitude.

Thanks Youtube for forcing the bastards to be fair and honest......towards those that pay their wages.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

"Undeniable accountability" (my new buzz-phrase)

Live streaming body cameras will provide undeniable accountability to a culture so entrenched in a philosophy of "it's us against the civilians" that the civilians have found a means of combating their attitude.

Thanks Youtube for forcing the bastards to be fair and honest......towards those that pay their wages.

Could not agree more.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

The problem was declaring a war on everything. The police should have never felt like their was a war on drugs, or a war on crime.

The war the police were told to fight is biting back. YouTube has given the citizens a non violent way to fight back. The police need to understand that their job is to protect and serve, not beat into submission.

It's not the job of the police to prevent every crime. It is the job of the police to ensure criminals are,caught tried and convicted.

We shouldn't blame the cops for crime rates, crime rstes are a societal problem that needs societal solutions.

Improve the conditions of the poor, provide better mental care and provide rehabilitation instead of incarceration for non violent offensives.

There should have never been a war on crime. There should be a coordinated effort to eliminate the root of crime.

Amen especially the so called war on drugs, Pols actually place the cops in this predicament in nations that have smart drug policies drug use is lower than the states, add to the fact of the police acting as tax collectors through means of tickets for BS such as wide sitting on the Subway..no iam not joking it's a real thing.
NYC Subway Manspreaders Profiled And Arrested

Two Latino men were arrested by NYPD officers for manspreading on the subway (sitting with their legs impolitely far apart), according to a report titled “That’s How They Get You” from the Police Reform Organizing Project. I thought that this story would be funny, based on the humorous comeuppance manspreaders have faced via, say, Men Taking Up Too Much Space On the Train, but it turns out that it’s part of a horrible intersection of quota policing and profiling.

The manspreaders, for example, were arrested at 12:11 AM. They could not possibly have been inconveniencing other passengers by making themselves comfortable. And this turns out to be the case for a whole lot of subway arrests, made mainly for insignificant infractions, like a passenger having his or her foot on a seat, or asking to be swiped through a turnstile, even if the person asked is willing to do it (it’s deemed “solicitation”). Most of the time, these infractions happen in the middle of the night, when it’s easy pickings on the train.
www.thefrisky.com...

Some pol actually had to sit down have meetings agree together, tell the cops to enforce this new BS policy and the folks who are affected by this don't necessarily see the Pols who came up with that brilliant taxation plan,all they see and remember the Cops in their faces enforcing it.

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   

officers in American cities have pulled back and have stopped policing as aggressively as they used to

So the added scrutiny is working then.

Perhaps if they never developed the mentality that aggressive equates to effective, they wouldn't be seeing the backlash to their conduct they are currently experiencing. Of course the continued refusal to accept any of the responsibility for the current tensions is sickening. It's always the public at larges fault in the eyes of leadership within law enforcement. Their policies and actions are always perfect and everyone looking in are meanies who just don't understand.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Good comment, although a bit awkwardly phrased, I think I follow.
Sarcasm is unfortunately lost on you, however.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: so in order to lower crime rates it is necessary to commit crimes or at least questionable acts, I say the opposite the more disrespectful LOE is to the public the more blow back it will cause and actually play into the hands of real criminals who can recruit younger members of society into their fold by pointing out that the people in blue are just another rival gang member.

I agree with that completely. I have seen places where the big tickets like meth and assassination aren't the criminals either.
The young people view them as lethal and are spooked of them. Maybe if they could hire less sick ones it would help, but they are on an agenda either knowingly or just as useful aggressive idiots.
But even the dumbest or most sadistic one knows what they're doing.
Lynch has been proving to be more and more of a "holder, of a different tactic" as we go along.

Is it the promise of those fed and un employee pkgs and never having to worry about what they do again.....or are there really that many that are so easily progged? Dumb = dangerous but greed = lethal

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: FraggleRock

officers in American cities have pulled back and have stopped policing as aggressively as they used to

So the added scrutiny is working then.

With homicide rates soaring inexplicably

It certainly sounds like it's working...

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Correlation does not imply causation.

Violent crimes have been consistently in the decline. Those rises in certain cities have been due to other factors.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   

People have wanted police to be less aggressive. Police are choosing to be less aggressive because of increased scrutiny due to video footage posted to Youtube. So yes, it's working.

The fact they can't be as effective without being overly aggressive is another matter and is 100% their own fault.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Oh bull#.
Who is tallying that statistic, the police unions?
It's right up there with the non existent war on cops.
What it is, is a war on unaccountable brutality.
If the pigs want to equate that with a war on them, then perhaps they need to do a little introspection.
Stop strutting around like untouchable lords of the universe, stop treating evety encounter like youre in fallujah (youre not, really...you're not), and start actually doing your job and outing the criminal element in your own ranks, and I guarantee you will regain respect.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Loveaduck

your joking? right? do you also believe in restricting free speech? someone wants to get spit on

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: hknudzkknexnt
Unless he was being sarcastic, he isn't joking.
It's the bootlicker mentality.
It goes away when your inevitable appointment with said boot kicks you in your now shocked at the reality of it face.
And contrary to the popular proclamations of this type, you don't actually have to be a criminal, or even committing a crime to enjoy such interactions, as is shown in multiple videos.
Hell, you don't even have to be belligerant, or black....though some would have you believe they are one and the same.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

edit on 26-10-2015 by VictorBloodworth because: misspost

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Chiefs of some of the nation’s biggest police departments say officers in American cities have pulled back and have stopped policing as aggressively as they used to, fearing that they could be the next person in a uniform featured on a career-ending viral video.

Maybe because they know that what they're doing is illegal.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz
I know its not a popular position to take, but in Canada, the chances of a cop killing you are pretty slim...there are abuses but they rarely draw down on you unless you are suspected of/or doing something violent.
Why?
Because we aren't all walking around packing heat.
You have to sleep in the bed you make.
I know the belief that you need guns to protect you from tyranny.
It's not working.
The tyranny is right out in the open, and the excuse being used are the very weapons you claim to counteract it.
How you fix that, I don't know.
Giving up your guns sure won't placate the pussies policing you now, they'll just find another excuse to be assholes.
You have become a country terrorised by yourselves.
Everyone afraid of everyone else and armed to the teeth.
If that doesn't sound incredibly stupid to you, you're part of the problem.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join