It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When I'm Not Moderating ATS......

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I'd seen that video on a friend's phone, while camping. He was chuckling away and I came over to look. I was like:

"Damn! Picks it up, cuts it, AND splits it! Woo Hoo!"

Leave no doubt: If i had an extra 1,000 dollars laying around, I'd go right to Tractor Supply and buy me one of those Hydraulic log splitters if I could.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Leave no doubt: If i had an extra 1,000 dollars laying around, I'd go right to Tractor Supply and buy me one of those Hydraulic log splitters if I could.

It would be well worth the investment if you were able to scratch the funds together.

Not only would it double your amount of firewood in half the time, just think of how much it would save you in Robaxacet and Aspirin.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Forgot to mention the wood!

It's mostly oak (we have a LOT of oak here in the South: White Oak, Red Oak, River Oak, Scrub Oak....), but there are some others:

Wild Cherry (my favorite to split, once it's dried out..but durn does it pop when burning!).
Sweet Gum
Hickory. This is actually what you see me splitting that is stringy looking, and takes me more to split. Love the hickory smell and taste. Love how yellow the leaves get during the fall. HATE trying to split it, green or seasoned, as it doesn't split very easily.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 05:32 AM
link   

There's no way to know if the weather's gonna make it a bad winter. I mean, the forecasters seem to be getting worse at predicting further than a day or so ahead. It's not that rare for them to get it wrong with only hours to aim at a full suite of satellites giving minute by minute imagery and data. At least that's how I see it these days.

On the other hand, there was news in Russia that the swans left two weeks earlier than ever. Apparently they only do this when a particularly bad winter is coming. Such stuff is folkloric, but I guess we'll wait and see. The UK breaks down into hysteria when snow is mentioned...centuries of snow and a moderate climate and every damn year it's a big surprise. "OMG! It's actually snowing in winter! What is this madness??"

We've had very, very mild winters lately and long may they continue! Our mild winters are probably like a wet day in fall for you guys.

Love the video. Were you picturing zombies? Great exercise too.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I only pay attention to the general forecasts (general temp ranges and precep possible totals.). Whether there will be snow or not, is a hit or miss. Last few years have been spot on in a general area sense, but of course plenty of places down here that didn't see any as predicted like last winter.

I do know this: The story about the grasshopper and the ant is a good lesson that one should pay attention to if they live in a temperate climate (IE a place with cold winters). Two years ago when we had our last bad ice storm, just a few weeks before we had temps that went down close to 0 F and stayed there.
That winter I had not prepared for it at all. And we suffered because of it. House got very cold, pipes burst and life was just miserable.
I had not prepared for it as I had gotten lazy because the previous 2 winters had been very mild, with just a cold snap or two, and certainly no frozen precep at all.

So it's better to be prepared for the worse, and not have it happen or not be that bad, than to have it get that bad and you're not ready, because you may not be able to be ready during it. The firewood is a good example: it has to have time to cure so it burns right, and that takes time. Many people think they can just go out and buy some, and while you can get small cords of it from stores, the price you pay will cost you dearly. Many who sell firewood by the truck loads tend to be out of wood because of all the people that have bought them up prior to winter.

It is good exercise!

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Keep your chin up my man,I am from Canada and we get pounded every year....try sleeping on a frozen lake in minus 30 for 2 days.
You'll make it,I have faith in you.

Your son needs better wood chopping skills though.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Yeah, you're doing the right thing to prepare for the worst. It reminds me to run some grit sand over to an elderly relative who lives alone. Fleeing Siberian swans notwithstanding, it's just safer to be sure and there was panic last time we had a bad winter.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

You know, each year when I do get ready (cutting up and splitting the firewood, plastic on the windows, double checking the exposed insulation on piping, etc, etc), I think: "Bring It On! I'm ready for you! I've done all this stuff, and I've canned food, stocked up on propane for the gas cooker, filled the water so if I need it, it's there, stocked up on candles and lantern oil, I'm ready!"
Instead I always end up with a winter that's more like early spring........

I hope it drops 5 feet of the white stuff! While I'm kicked back with a warm fire, hot coffee and enjoying the view, everyone else can run around screaming: I GOT TO GET THE MILK AND BREAD!!!

Always wondered why bad weather makes people want Milk Sandwiches.....

edit on 10/26/2015 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   

You know, there is little as satisfying as splitting logs with an axe.

That being said, if you are looking to make things a little easier for yourself, without breaking the bank, you could just build yourself a weighted drop guillotine. Sure, it would take some pulleys, basic engineering knowledge, and an understanding of Newtonian mechanics, not to mention some good steel frame pieces, but if you could build yourself a rig then it would save you an awful lot of back snapping effort.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Ah, #ing wood man. i used to have to do it every year as a child with my parents, and then again every year at my best friends house (helping hand). Wood is the worst.

Sticking, itchy and bug filled. We had a hydrolic splitter so that part wasn't so bad. The going back into the woods, Cutting down trees, stripping the trees, Chainsawing it into manageable pieces, Hauling it all back to throw in a pile. Then when the pile got big enough, We had to split it then throw it into the basement, then go down into the basement and stack that #. I pay for electricity now.. it's easier.

But i know someday i'll have to go back to that method. Just hoping i wont have to clear cut a Forrest and will be able to use my engineering knowledge to construct a better furnace! Perhaps using hot water from thermosiphoning to heat the house?
edit on 26-10-2015 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Bless all of you out there! Wanting to make this easier for me!

Just in case none of you have noticed from the video, I'm rather pear shaped, and NEED the exercise! hehehehehehehe.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

ddp yoga has done a lot for my buddies.
One lost 20 lbs in a month and my other buddy with back problems tried it and lost his belly and feels better.

Ok error occured,check out Arthurs story.

edit on 26-10-2015 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I'd get one if I had the money too. Besides being handy it looks like it would be fun.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

I hope it drops 5 feet of the white stuff!

Just in your area.

Always wondered why bad weather makes people want Milk Sandwiches

I worked at a grocery store. The things I noticed that people wiped out the most was bread and milk when the weather was bad. It's a phenomenon that I still can't explain.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I just buy wood by the truck load...
To old and lazy to do that anymore....

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Snow already on the hills above 750 metres in Scotland
it is going to be a cold one

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
eriktheawful,

The only reason I suggested a labour saving device, is because if you throw your back out then the result of that will be that you get less exercise in all, than you would have if you had used such a thing. Trust me, I have seen too many hardy folk throw a disc or mangle a muscle and be inactive for years at a stretch, not to be concerned when I see someone using their spine like you do.

Don't get me wrong, your technique is superb, but that does not mitigate entirely, for the potential to damage yourself seriously while about your log splitting exercise. Let's face it, there are other ways to get better exercise, and other ways to cut logs. I only suggested an alternative out of concern. Herniated vertebra in the middle of winter will not please you in the least, of that I can be certain!

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

On the other hand, there was news in Russia that the swans left two weeks earlier than ever. Apparently they only do this when a particularly bad winter is coming. Such stuff is folkloric, but I guess we'll wait and see. The UK breaks down into hysteria when snow is mentioned...centuries of snow and a moderate climate and every damn year it's a big surprise. "OMG! It's actually snowing in winter! What is this madness??"

Nature is better than forecasters when it come to predicting winter weather. Woolly worms which have a 80 to 85% accuracy rate have been as black as midnight which means a bad winter is coming. Persimmon seeds are also good for predicting winter weather and the seeds I have seen are in the shape of spoons which means lots of snow.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Reminds me of why I moved from northern Ohio to Texas LOL

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Lol

Erik the awful

Like Ivan the miserable or something

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>