It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When I'm Not Moderating ATS......

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
.......I'm getting ready for winter. At least that's what I'm doing now.

Long range forecasts show well below temps for me this winter, with a 150% to 200% increase is snow levels possible, all thanks to El Niño out there and some other things.

So here's a video of me splitting wood.......too bad I don't have a hydraulic one, but this way is good exercise....but it does take some practice.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Lol @ Josh.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Yah....my hands actually ached in sympathy when he did that!

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

That is awesome!

Hard work!
I remember when I was young...Dad ordered an automatic one or something...LOL
He said it didn't work worth a darn and he was back to splitting the wood by hand. My job was toting and loading on the truck.
Mom said I shouldn't do it because it "would cause me to not be able to have kids!"?

The music was a good addition...I and my daughter (15) laughed at Josh!
Don't tell him though, you know how teenagers are!

Edit: I just noticed the chickens nervously pacing in the background! LOL
edit on 25-10-2015 by TNMockingbird because: see above

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I felt it too bro, lol.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
with a 150% to 200% increase is snow levels possible,

What the what!? No. Just no.

You are not that far from me.

Winter is coming.

edit on 10/25/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Looks like you need one of these dude.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

We're due for a harsh one. Seems like about a 10 year cycle. Just like the Ice storm...10 years later we got nailed with another bad one. And a few years after that one, it got really cold and we got the snow pretty good too...and that was about 10 years ago.

So I'm not surprised they're predicting it.

In any case: I'd rather have the firewood and not need it, than to need it and not have any, hehe.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
yeah, ill stay in West Texas. It doesn't get quite that cold, snows 1-2 times a year, and we don't have enough trees to cut down.

Win/win/win.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
There was a woman not far from me.

She predicted the weather by looking at the signs of nature.

Off topic! I know!

Anyway, here's a link and it's cool to me...

Count the fogs in August people!

Helen Lane NOW Melinda Lane Hedgecoth Predictions

On Sept. 17, 1959 in the Crossville Chronicle's Crab Orchard Happenings column, Helen Lane said everyone had better fill their coal and wood bins full for the upcoming winter. It was going to be a humdinger! She reported she had counted 12 heavy, August fogs, which denoted 12 heavy snows for the coming winter. Helen reported the "spiders and crickets were numerous and corn husks were very thick."

In fact, that winter, 60 inches of snow were recorded and 14 snowfalls — 12 of them were six or more inches of snow.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Well we had tons of fog but can't remember if it was in August or September.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dimithae

Looks like you need one of these dude.

www.youtube.com...

Lolz - that lever axe dude is cheating, Perfect straight grain wet wood is like child's play for any axe to split. I could achieve the same results with a tomahawk axe.

It's when you hit knots or try to chop something with twisty grain like Australian gumtrees that it gets annoying and difficult. Besides, I thought THIS is more the American way of doing it

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I see your ladies in the background there erik - how do you keep them cozy in the winter? Also LOLZ! at Josh's hand vibrating effort - that will teach him to talk smack.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Hen house is where they can go. I've got a heat lamp in it that can be used.

All of them are "cold hardy" and can do just fine to temps going towards 0 F. I've seen single digits here a few times, but never has it hit below 0 yet.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Uh-oh!!!!

You're screwed!

Just kidding!

Almanac

Almanac again! Not looking good!

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
You've seen the view in my video....here it is again from about 10 years ago or so:

People from the midwest will laugh at it, and I've lived where there is worst, but for here, this is actually pretty bad. There's no snow plows, and snow shovels are not something you normally find at the store, heheh.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I spit and stacked cord wood for three years as a summer and winter job when school was out...

I did not enjoy it and learned to hate the smell of fresh oak; Of course, I got paid half my salary in unspilt wood for the wood stove in my parents house (which I had to split and stack when I wasn't working). Not the best job memory for a 12!~15 year old....

Never again!!!!
edit on 25-10-2015 by notmyrealname because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
That has got to be my least favorite activity. A hydraulic log splitter is the way to go.

While I was watching you busting wood I heard Eye of the Tiger in my head, especially the part where you had the white shirt on and were having trouble with the knotty log.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
You need one of these:

One plus of having one: While operating it you can pretend that you're in a battle mech lol.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Log splitting is heart attack city, but even worse than that is snow shovelling.

Looks like all of us old farts with our old tickers are in for a big heap of trouble this winter...

I've been saying this for a few years now, but I honestly believe we are going to start seeing the same winters we had from the mid 60's through to the mid 70's.

We're back to that damn freeze-your-butt-off cycle again.

Brrrrrrr.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join