It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you determine what a successful thread is?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
How would I determine if one of my threads was a success?

I believe that success depends largely on intent. For instance, if your goal is to be a bum and you become a bum, were you successful? I would say yes.

Therefore, I would determine the success of my threads in different ways depending on what I intended. Sometimes I'm posting something to just get it off my chest and in those cases I won't even read the threads past the original post sometimes. In a case like that, if my original post says what I wanted it to say then the thread is done and over for me. Here's an example of a thread like that:

Can US soldiers (even US citizens) still imagine they're on the 'good side'?

I didn't read that thread past the original post because I was done with it. Reading and/or posting past that point would have been too painful for me anyway.

Sometimes I'm trying to increase my understanding of an issue so I'll ask a question and read the thread intently. In a case like that, if I can get anything from the thread that gives me a new thought or idea or modality or anything like that, the thread was a success for me. Here's an example of a thread like that:

Does enlightenment require any specific action (or absence thereof)?

As for determining whether someone else's thread is successful, if I can learn one new thing from the thread that I think is worthwhile, that's enough for me. In fact, that always makes for a successful thread in my book.

Concerning thread criticism as a general topic, I look at writing the original posts of threads as a specialized art form. What's terrible and what's brilliant may be easy for most to agree on. But, in-between those extremes, judging the value of original posts of threads is mostly completely personal IMHO.

Criticism as a pastime is often a silly thing anyway...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 25-10-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

From a participant's standpoint, as long is it is a good read over a cup of coffee.

There is something to be said about the ensuing argument. It's valuable insofar as those who participate in it, even though they may not have changed their stances, do not come out with the same ideas they went in with.

For what it's worth, your threads are great.
edit on 25-10-2015 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Who questioned your quality of threads?

I didn't see you mentioned at all.

More on topic, thread success is based on numerous things.

Personally a thread is a success if anyone learns from it.
That's all we can ask for really.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Who questioned your quality of threads?

I didn't see you mentioned at all.

More on topic, thread success is based on numerous things.

Personally a thread is a success if anyone learns from it.
That's all we can ask for really.

You're right. I made a mistake.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I'll let you know when I have one to go by.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Here's a reason to be cheerful Profusion...

Sublimecraft's link is a joke post intended to send whoever clicks it back to their own profile.

He wasn't singling you out.

That's why the other posters thought he was talking about them.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
if even just one person responds to it then it`s a success.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
A MOD, Heff I think, a few years back started a thread similar as that post.
It was something about disinfo agents and shills...

It linked back to your profile...

Funny as hell!

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

This may not be a popular answer but I create threads that interest me. So all my threads are a success, because I was interested in all my threads.

I like when many people respond but I don't judge the value of my work based on SnF or even responses.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Double Post
edit on 25-10-2015 by frostie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

LOL the post takes everybody to their home page.

Thats what I meant by

"I thought you were singling me out"

Until i got the joke

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I posted in the thread you're mentioning, and Sublime's post was a gag as everyone is saying.

In that post I recall you also speak as if you were familiar with forums and what could make or break them.

Which would suggest you're somewhat familiar with forums and how they work. I am a bit perplexed as to how you feel your content in that thread or any others was in question.

Everyone was replying to Sublime's antics, albeit the post and those that replied were offtopic, it wasn't difficult to see if you read all of the replies in the thread.

Your actual suggestion was even replied to by Skeptic...the site owner, among many others.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie

LOL the post takes everybody to their home page.

Thats what I meant by

"I thought you were singling me out"

Until i got the joke

Thanks for letting me know. I have edited out my mistakes from my previous posts in this thread. Next time I won't jump to conclusions around here. I've never seen anything like that before.

At least this (successful IMHO) thread came from that dumb mistake of mine.

originally posted by: UberL33t
I posted in the thread you're mentioning, and Sublime's post was a gag as everyone is saying.

In that post I recall you also speak as if you were familiar with forums and what could make or break them.

Which would suggest you're somewhat familiar with forums and how they work. I am a bit perplexed as to how you feel your content in that thread or any others was in question.

Everyone was replying to Sublime's antics, albeit the post and those that replied were offtopic, it wasn't difficult to see if you read all of the replies in the thread.

Your actual suggestion was even replied to by Skeptic...the site owner, among many others.

I've never seen anything like that before although I've been posting at places like this for over a decade.

Why would I make a mistake like that?

There are different personal reasons why I'm on edge and in a weakened state at the moment. I should have asked what it was about or looked more closely at at. I won't even bother with things like that on this site in the future.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Yeah he got us good.

I compared the links from clicking "MyATS" and what he linked.

Happens to the best of us. Plus we all got a kick at the expense of your embarrassment

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: frostie

Yeah he got us good.

I compared the links from clicking "MyATS" and what he linked.

Happens to the best of us. Plus we all got a kick at the expense of your embarrassment

I was given some advice when I started this account:

Question: Any advice for ATS success?

originally posted by: Eunuchorn
Lurk.

& whatever you do, do not engage.

I've followed that advice almost perfectly since I've been here. Should I make that my signature so I'll never forget?

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

My measures are as follows:

Did the thread spark healthy debate, and promote discussion of the topic at hand?
Did the thread state its premise in a fair and balanced manner?
Did the thread add something to the understanding of, and cogitation upon the issue which lead to its being authored?
Did people participate in the thread, in a way which expressed their understanding, not only of the subject matter generally, but in a way which shows they were engaged by the specific manner in which the OP was laid out and presented?
Did the thread improve understanding, or offer an opportunity for learning for at least one member?

Things like these, are what I consider, when examining the performance of a particular thread. It is all about measuring the quality of contribution when all is said and done. Don't get me wrong, I have missed the mark a fair bit over the years, as most of us have from time to time. The intent, however, is always to make the best of things, according to those measures I laid out at the top of this post.

top topics

join