It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Amazing 360 Picture of the Boneyard at Davis Monthan AFB

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I don't see an embed code, so here's a link to the amazing picture.

Davis-Monthan AFB's role in the storage of military aircraft began after World War II, and continues today.

It has evolved into "the largest aircraft boneyard in the world".

With the area's low humidity in the 10%-20% range, meager rainfall of 11" annually, hard alkaline soil, and high altitude of 2,550 feet allowing the aircraft to be naturally preserved for cannibalization or possible reuse, Davis-Monthan is the logical choice for a major storage facility. The geology of the desert allows aircraft to be moved around without having to pave the storage areas.

By May of 1946, more than 600 B-29 Superfortresses and 200 C-47 Skytrains had been moved to Davis-Monthan. Some were preserved and returned to action in the Korean War, others were scrapped.
Davis-Monthan Air Force Boneyard in Tucson: Boneyard Layout, Operations, Tours, and Maps

##Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First##

edit on 10.27.2015 by Kandinsky because: One line OPs aren't acceptable

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha
I don't see an embed code, so here's a link to the amazing picture.

Thanks, but some of us don't click on all links. Can you describe what you are seeing, and the importance or implication of this picture, thoughts about the subject, etc. Thanks again, s & f.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

THAT is amazing!
I wish I knew how to embed it for you!

NOT the same effect as the OPs link but cool none the less!
edit on 25-10-2015 by TNMockingbird because: more specific

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I had no idea it was that big as so diverse in types stored (cannot see the entirety driving by on Kolb Rd). If one is a military aircraft aficionado will be pleasantly surprised to see what is mothballed here. Thanks for the link anzha, haven't checked if one can zoom in.
edit on 25-10-2015 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

You can!
At the bottom of the page is a menu "button".
You can even turn on/off the rotate...

Pretty cool

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird
Will do! Kolb Rd dips down along that east side of the boneyard (you are driving a ditch/canal for several long blocks) can only see tops of fuselage only. I just can't believe some of the aircraft saved. Pima Air Museum is down the street, but nothing like this; here is the entire history of all planes in all wars the U.S deployed. One gets the idea somehow, the massiveness of production/cooperation of engineers etc to produce such a broad fleet of planes that do a specific thing.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
why do they all those old planes stored there? why don`1t they sell them for scrap?
It looks like they have a lot of empty space to add more planes.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
why do they all those old planes stored there? why don`1t they sell them for scrap?
It looks like they have a lot of empty space to add more planes.

Desert environment low humidity (they store very well). I would imagine not sold for scrap because they are not 'crashed/shot up" planes that are pristine and not relevant now; but tune them up, fill them with fuel are gone (reserved force) if necessary?

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

I think "spare parts" AND
maybe they are saving to use again...

According to this reporter, some are recycled...

Others are used for spare parts, with the components sitting in the aircraft until they’re needed. On site is a smelter, where some of the surplus aircraft are shredded and totally recycled

BBC

I am sure the distinguished member Zaphod58 would know though!
edit on 25-10-2015 by TNMockingbird because: If you're going to use a member's name respect and etiquette dictate to get it right!

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

They're kept in flyable storage if needed. A good example is a B-52 last year. One of the aircraft at Barksdale was severely damaged in a cockpit fire. Under the treaty, we're required to keep a certain number of B-52s flying, so they went to the Boneyard, restored one to flyable condition (replacing seals, fuel tanks, running engines, etc), flew it to Barksdale and took the equipment off the damaged aircraft, and put it on the replacement.

After time some of the fighters are restored to flyable status, and used as target drones for live fire training. The F-16s that are in there are undergoing that process now, since they ran out of usable F-4 airframes. The ones that are too old are cut up, after all the usable parts are removed. As others have said, many are stripped of parts that are kept in storage, and used for active duty aircraft, where parts are hard or expensive to come by.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Would not call what is stored at DM a 'boneyard" more this: planes 'mothballed'.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

It's some of both.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I've lived within 1.5 direct miles from Westover AFB my entire life and seeing all those C-5's lined up really bring back a lot of memories (including some house shaking
).

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
One of our trips by I saw the YAL-1A out there. Didn't see it the last couple of times by.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I found a link for a general list of all the aircraft at Davis-Monthan AFB and I got a kick out of this photo

source

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
As cool as threads and pictures like this are they always depress me. I know quite a few of these aircraft.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I know quite a few of these aircraft.
a reply to: Zaphod58and they know you.................

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
As cool as threads and pictures like this are they always depress me. I know quite a few of these aircraft.

Me too, big hug.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Out tax dollars not at work

Thanks, very cool.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: charolais
I found a link for a general list of all the aircraft at Davis-Monthan AFB and I got a kick out of this photo

source
F117s were deployed , moved or swallowed by the sand worms of "BeetleJuice" movie fame?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join