It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beach Combers find Megaladon Teeth in N. Carolina

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I'm placing this in the fragile earth forum. Pets and cryptozoology seemed inappropriate. I'm on a mobile device. So I'll do my best to give some context given ATS policy.

Beach Combers in N. Carolina are finding shark teeth some 6 inches long. Suggesting of course the once 60 ft. Megaladon shark.

www.wpxi.com...

No it's not a conspiracy. But a really cool find in my opinion. I can't wrap my head around the size of this prehistoric shark. The bite alone has got to be terrifying. I imagine being able to stand inside it's mouth with a touch of headroom. To give a bit more perspective. I'm linking info on the Blue Whale. The Blue Whale can get some 70 to 90+ feet. So if the Megaladon were around today, it could be a big impact on the ocean ecosystem. Or simply put, the oceans food chain.

The Blue Whale.
www.marinemammalcenter.org...://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=blue%2 0whale&source=web&cd=17&ved=0CGAQFjAQahUKEwjlkaHokdzIAhUFND4KHTJvAz4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marinemammalcenter.org%2Feducation%2Fmarine-mammal-informati on%2Fcetaceans%2Fblue-whale.html&usg=AFQjCNG9XvmVdMRD-Kh-6GPYbuvOH_SBLA

Giving how in today's Atlantic coast. We hear and see the migrations of Great White Sharks, Bull Sharks and even Hammerhead Sharks. Swimming is scary enough. For me in waters that I can't see clearly, as to what else is swimming around. If this bad boy was around. The Princess Cruise ships "would not be a big enough boat".

When I was young, I loved the beaches in So. California. I went on whale tours. I was mesmerized. And taking the ferry to Catalina Island, I loved watching the dolphins and flying fish. I wanted to become a Marine Biologist. Ended up as Paramedic/Firefighter/Flight Rn.... but that's behind me now.

Perhaps it's time to get back to the sea and ponder.

Here's some more info on the Megaladon
www.enchantedlearning.com...

edit on 24-10-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-10-2015 by Bigburgh because: selling grammar fat fingers! :-)

Add on: Megaladon fossil tooth buyers guide.
www.fossils-facts-and-finds.com...
edit on 24-10-2015 by Bigburgh because: add on

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Man, I would never even go near the ocean if something with teeth that big was still around

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Brings to mind a story.
Years ago I was walking through the Smithsonian Natural History Museum with my daughter. Overheard this comment from another visitor to his young companion upon encountering the megaladon jaw on display, "that's from a whale shark!"

I laughed and laughed. There was a plaque and everything.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: mymymy

I would hope giving the size. I would be swallowed whole with a knife and cut my way out. Though I'd likely succumb to lack of Oxygen or drown . But it would probably chomp away first... most sharks will bite first to see if it's OK for consumption.
But yes, I'll swim in a pool near the beach. And tan only at the beach.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Vapid comes to mind. And even more funny considering whale sharks are the gentlest of the sea. They feed on Plankton.

Thanks Phage.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
a reply to: Phage

Vapid comes to mind. And even more funny considering whale sharks are the gentlest of the sea. They feed on Plankton.

Thanks Phage.

And if whale sharks are like most baleen whales, they couldn't swallow you as their throats are only the size of a grapefruit, but then again, I think the shark is constructed differently. But, you'd choke a whale.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

And if whale sharks are like most baleen whales,

They aren't.
No baleen and they are fish.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

They aren't.
No baleen and they are fish.

Ummm, I do know that. I was talking about the anatomy of their throat.

I know you think I am a moron, but generally I am not.
edit on 24-10-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

No. Not a moron.
Just not big on fact checking.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Great find, buddy.

They must have been a formidable creature.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I don't want to do that. Thanks. Now I got to go find how human waste in the sea affects them.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Thanks buddy!

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

No. Not a moron.
Just not big on fact checking.

What part of what I wrote indicated that I did not know the whale shark was a fish and that baleen whales are mammals?

And is it or is it not true that baleen is the stand-in for teeth in baleen whales?

Then most baleen whales have throats that are very small with the blue whale having one that is less than 1 ft. wide meaning they could not swallow a human being. Now there would be no baleen in the throat as it stands in for teeth and prevents food from escaping.

So, unless the whale shark has a different throat anatomy which it well could being a shark, something I freely admitted in my post ...

but then again, I think the shark is constructed differently

It would have a trouble swallowing you too. And that is not a horrible assumption to make given that species that evolve for similar purpose can develop analogous structures - bats and birds both have wings even though they are not at all related.

So I made a light post, not expecting to have to link to several different scientific dissertations supporting my assumptions, none of which I stated as fact, and you come along with your arrogant attitude. Thank you, but no.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

What part of what I wrote indicated that I did not know the whale shark was a fish and that baleen whales are mammals?
This part:

But that's not really what I was talking about and it's off topic anyhow.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if these things weren't still around...

With so many other credible eyewitness sightings of live Pterosaurs in places like Papua New Guinea and a 12-foot tall giant killed in the Middle East in 2005 by Special Forces why not living Megaladons?

Megalodon Sightings

In 1918, Australian marine biologist David Stead recorded events when local fisherman refused to go back out to sea after witnessing an incredibly large creature. These were experienced sailors, well familiar with whales and large sharks, but whatever they witnessed, frightened them so much that they refused to work any longer. Stead said: The fishermen described it as between 35 and 90 meters long and pure white in color.

That seems unbelievable though, even for a Megalodon. Could a shark really grow to that size? Were these men exaggerating, or were they just confused? If it wasn’t a Megalodon that frightened them so much, then what else could it have been?

The Black Demon of Cortez

In the last few years there have been many reported sightings to suggest a Megalodon may be terrorizing the Sea of Cortez, just south of the California border. The locals refer to this giant sea monster as the “Black Demon. It is said to be around 60ft long, dark and with a huge tail that whips to the surface before diving away quickly.

There have been so many sightings of this mysterious sea creature that Monster-Quest decided to investigate. The team went out to to the Sea of Cortez in search of this animal, but like with every other episode, they didn’t find anything. ...the Sea of Cortez would make the perfect hiding spot for a giant prehistoric shark. It is home to some extremely large sea creatures that would make a great food supply for a shark that size, and it’s deepest portions can drop down to 12,000 feet.

www.bizarbin.com...

In 1944, in (Papua) New Guinea, Duane Hodgkinson and his friend saw a "pterodactyl" with a wingspan similar to a Piper Tri-Pacer (29 feet). This is one of many many eyewitness testimonies of pterodactyles in Paupa New Guinea with one including a whole village witnessing a pterodactyl grab a man, fly him up to a tree and start eating him.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 24-10-2015 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

It makes my day just walking the beach and getting boring old shells, sand dollars, and regular shark teeth. I can't even imagine...

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
www.afsc.noaa.gov...

Hunted not just for it's oil but more importantly later in hunting them... hunted for their Baleen or whale bone which is like plastic. Before plastic? Interesting. As it was had many uses, even ladies Corsets.
Also a plankton and crustaceans diet.

Ironic since we dump plastics back into the sea.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

I'm land locked. But walking a beach and finding anything would be refreshing. As I read on more. Almost every source claims that if the Megaladon were still around. The great white would be a Guppy for a snack. Any other sharks would be Sardines.

Some sources even suggest other than knowing what the teeth and jaw look like. But other than that, they are not actually sure what he Megaladon looked like.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Some sources even suggest other than knowing what the teeth and jaw look like. But other than that, they are not actually sure what he Megaladon looked like.

Scary. Really, really scary.
Of course, whales look scary too. But come to think of it, I wouldn't want a whale of any sort to get mad at me.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Having lived smack on the outer banks coast at Carolina Beach, as kids, we commonly found sharks teeth. I had a box of them. Although none coming close to the size of those.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join