It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speed of progress does not dictate human happiness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Why do we try so hard to change, evolve, and improve at the fastest possible pace, but yet all humans throughout history have been able to achieve happiness in their present state? Nothing that we do today is vital to the happiness we found yesterday. I don't get it. Where are we going and what is the purpose of it if we already have what we need? Sometimes I feel like our obsession with progress ruins the small things in life and pulls us away from life's most important moments. Just a thought.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

You hit one of several possible nails right on its head.

The present is never good enough, the future always disappointing and the past is reinvented as something that was better than either.

We're a tough crowd to please...

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevy

By the time you blink the future has become the present and then the past and this is the way it will be for 78 years until you move on to the next, chapter.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokedownChevy

Why do we try so hard to change, evolve, and improve at the fastest possible pace, but yet all humans throughout history have been able to achieve happiness in their present state? Nothing that we do today is vital to the happiness we found yesterday. I don't get it. Where are we going and what is the purpose of it if we already have what we need? Sometimes I feel like our obsession with progress ruins the small things in life and pulls us away from life's most important moments. Just a thought.

Because rapid "progress" facilitates high rates of consumption. They've brainwashed us to all hail technological development as the salvation of mankind...

...simply to sell us stuff.

new topics

top topics

join