It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia proposes Massive Superhighway that will make it possible to drive from U.S. to Europe

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Actually the idea started with a US businessman in the late 1800's / early 1900's who floated the idea of a rail bridge linking Russia and the US. His goal was to create a world wide rail system with Denver (where his business was based) as the main hub.

The Russian government at the time was open to the idea however they had a revolution and the idea was killed by the now Soviets.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Yeah that'd be great. Have all the muslim refugees from Syria and the middle east come flooding into Europe, through Russia and straight into Alaska... the good Ol US of A.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Ahhhh crap! And they just decided to scrap Ketchikan's 'bridge to nowhere'.

US | Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:03pm EDT
Related: U.S. Alaska's 'bridge to nowhere' plan finally scrapped. www.reuters.com...

It's too bad they didn't put that bridge much further north, it might have been useful for something at least.

Maybe they can repurpose it.

I'm super excited about this becoming a reality. It would provide jobs, stimulate economies etc. I have always loved the idea of a tube crossing down in the ocean. I've been hearing rumors about it for years. Travelling it would definitely be on my bucket list if it were completed in time.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
Oh no doubt the Bering strait / Bering sea would be the hardest part of the architecture to deal with there.

I'm not sure on the tectonic plate movement up in the part of the world. I believe it is the North American plate that is moving at 4cm a year over the Atlantic plate. Tho, I do not know if that includes the Bering sea area or not. I'll have to look it up on a map later.

Yes, Russia would make a decent few shiny coins on their route, between speeders, and what not, to gas an amenities offered along the way, from oil changes (for those using conventional engine oil, synthetic users can go a max of 12,000 miles I understand), to petrol/gasoline fill-ups to snacks and other treats, Motels and all sorts of things.. Perhaps even you might get to wrestle a bear like Putin at an off-road side attraction.

Yes, the tunnel to Taiwan, and other places China offered to do that were turned down, for fear of them being able to move large number of troops and other such things through the tunnel in short order for a hostile take-over of the country. I'm not sure how feasible it would be for Russia or China to pull that off coming at us from Alaska, over 50 miles of bride, or tunnel.. But anything is possible.

Here is where it would get interesting. PLant explosives to prevent military crossings over the bridge. Then have someone monitoring the bridge on either end. if they see military vehicles that section of the bridge goes bye bye. Its extremely doable especially with todays military explosives that can last for years.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis
I remember people talking about a highway like this all the way back in the 90's. I have one point to make: Most countries in Europe drive on the opposite side of the road than Americans. How exactly would this work? Would they have a section of road where you switch sides?

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I have one point to make: Most countries in Europe drive on the opposite side of the road than Americans. How exactly would this work?

No, I think you'll find that this is true only about the UK. Another reason for starting at Calais instead of London.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I wonder which points of the drive would be most dangerous/most remote? I'm assuming if some multi-continent highway was developed, they would need to put a crap load of emergency stations along the drive, because a lot of those places seem pretty damn remote... Like, are gas stations being put along this drive?

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
If they build a bridge in the straight then it would be an awesome fishing spot.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Evacuated tubes or no go. If they're already dishing it out might as well do it right.
edit on 24-10-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
A highway makes very little sense considering the remoteness on both sides of the strait.

A rail route would be a better option but even then the Russian system is over 1,500 miles away from the strait and the Alaskan system is not connected to the rest of the North American system.

edit on 24-10-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

Never gonna happen. Now a rail system would be amazing.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Look at it this way...

Most of the land has been heavily exploited around the globe, but there's a chunk east of Moscow that's relatively untouched. Mix that in with the trends towards warmer weather in the coming years, and the economy which will boom in the Arctic... I can maybe see cities cropping up maybe where people want to get away from the fast lane lifestyle or be a part of new growth, new economies, new opportunities.

I still think evacuated tubes is the way to do this.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese
Me thinks you have been climatly indoctrinated.

I do not see countries banking on things warming up like gore said they will.

Other than that I think you have good ideas.

There is not much that humans can build that could combat the massive amount of ice that flows through the area yearly.

edit on 24-10-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
Me thinks you have been climatly indoctrinated.

I'm sure you do, we'll never agree.

I do not see countries banking on things warming up like gore said they will.

Then you're deaf, they most definitely are. Look to the major powers military presence in the arctic for starters.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I am not deaf and I also am not naive enough to think one or two yrs of less permafrost does not equate to that area warming enough to support a highway much less a tunnel system.

Long way to go before any investment in the bearing straight will pay off as related to temperatures warming up enough.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

Yes, you're deaf.

Russia

US/Russia/China

France Knows

All major powers are looking way deeper and further than you are. Sorry, not going to waste my time arguing details that you goof up.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
By all means do not waste your time...

Any ideas on how you believe a tube or a road would survive such harsh conditions other than a miraculous warming trend that last a few decades?

Even if your fantasy came true yrs from now there is still the issue of deep water crossing that has never been done before.

The referenced longest bridge does not even come close because of the depth and currents.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
If this were to happen, it would absolutely be on my bucket list! They need to get going on it though - I have far more years behind me than ahead of me.

And contrary to some of our fellow posters here, if this intercontinental highway were to be built I would think Russia should be more concerned of an American invasion that America should be of a Russian invasion. America is the country who invades those who don't comply with us... especially when they elect leaders who aren't American puppets.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
By all means do not waste your time...

Any ideas on how you believe a tube or a road would survive such harsh conditions other than a miraculous warming trend that last a few decades?

You need to expand on this question. I have no way of answering with such sparse details. There is no need for a "miraculous warming trend", for starters.

Even if your fantasy came true yrs from now there is still the issue of deep water crossing that has never been done before.

I'm uncertain what you mean here. We have drilled tunnels that submerge below sea-level, and there's a bridge that spans roughly the same gap in Louisiana right now. Maybe you should educate yourself instead of wondering?

The referenced longest bridge does not even come close because of the depth and currents.

Whatever you say, chief. Engineering feats once thought impossible happen generation after generation spanning the beginning of civilization. I'm not qualified enough throw out specifics, but am also not foolish enough to believe for no good reason our advancement comes to a stop. If hardcore engineers are proposing the projects, and simply waiting on funding, then they will probably eventually succeed.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I love the idea, but wouldnt it cost more in gas and costs like food/ travel etc than an actual flight?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join