It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misinterpreting song meanings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I had a friend long ago whose hippy older sister would frequently misinterpret song meanings and song lyrics.
I find this subject quite funny. A little browsing on YouTube always produces results.

The explanations people give on song 'meanings' run the gamut from goofy to downright bizarre!

One example is a comment on the song "Back Door Man" by the Doors. A youtuber left a comment that
"I heard Jim Morrison say the song is about a serial killer." The fact is, it's a blues song about
a man who has affairs with married women. When the husband comes home, he sneaks out the back door.
End of story.

Here's another good one: The band Live had a hit song called "Lightning Crashes."
The song was written by Live's singer. I read in an interview with him that the song was about the circle of life.
As someone is dying, a baby is being born. He said he was at a hospital, and he thought of how birth and death occur there.
People leave comments on YouTube "explaining" how the song is about abortion, or about someone donating their organs when they die.
One commentor said the song was dedicated to a young mother who died while giving birth. There is nothing in the lyrics to even remotely suggest any of those scenarios!

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
There is a book about people getting lyrics wrong(which is also funny as hell). I think it is called "Excuse me while I kiss this guy". My ex thought Acdc's Dirty Deeds went " Dirty Deeds and the Thunder Chief" ... I do have a question is it "Big Hands, I know you're the one"... OR, "Because, I know you're the one" Let me go on... Like a blister in the sun...

You want to read some funny or off the wall interpretations of song meanings just go search up some about TOOL songs...

Take it easy... & if it's easy, take it home!,
Lucky

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

Big hands. :p

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
When I was a youthful metal head, my mother was adamant that the words to Hawkwind's Silver Machine were " I've got a sewing machine"...which she said she thought was an odd thing to sing about

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

John Lennon..

Start at 3:32

he talks about meanings in songs.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I used to hear a young colleague at work belting out the old Abba favourite, "Showing me, showing you, there is nothing we can do." I never did get around to asking him what he thought it meant.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Oldish Azalea Banks track I only heard this year - loved it. Listened to it a bunch of times and still love it.

Played it at a family gathering with the in-laws etc a few weeks ago.

My jaw dropped when they all picked up on the C-bombs I hadn't noticed. Must be every 20 seconds and she's dropping c-bombs in every verse...and worse lol. I'm not naive and have no idea how the xxx lyrics and message went over my head.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport
Yeah,Heh,heh,I could see why she said that.I thought the same when I heard the song...Rock on Lemmy!..Doremi Fasol Latido is one of Hawkwinds best..

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
"Wrapped up like a douche, a Roto-Rooter in the night."

I also used to think Elton John's "Saturday Night's Alright"
was about salad day.

edit on 23-10-2015 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
After seeing this thread I started looking up some of my favorite songs on the site below. Some of the interpretations were quite scary, especially in ones where the the artist has stated the exact meaning of the song. www.lyricinterpretations.com...

Warning read at your own risk.

new topics

top topics

join