It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Between Pot and a Hard Place: Fed Rejects Colorado Marijuana Bank

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: lordcomac

I was under the impression that the alcohol lobby was more interested in keeping it illegal than drug companies.

I'd say the alcohol and Big Pharma lobbyists are at the top of the list of MANY industries trying to keep marijuana/hemp illegal... that alone should tell us just how valuable a resource cannabis is -- and it's criminalization is truly a crime against humanity. If cannabis were not a superior material for so many applications, there wouldn't be so many trying to keep it illegal.

Of course, one cannot "patent" and monopolize gifts of nature. At least not yet.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: ratsinacage

What really gets me is how the presidential candidates are trying to treat the marijuana issue like it was treated for years beforehand. Only two candidates (one from each side of the aisle) support full out legalization. All the others are still terrified to show support for it even though candidates who do are celebrated for it.

Sure shows who's really pulling their strings, eh?

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

a reply to: NihilistSanta

Mexico SHOULD legalize it. Then that country can FINALLY start trying to rebuild its agricultural industry that was decimated by NAFTA. Especially since America is being a stick in the mud about it.

The US and the "war on Drugs" created billionaire kingpins in Mexico with enough pull to be burrowed out of prison. Weed is a small part of their empires. "La blanca" makes up the majority of sales and Mexican tar.

If the US was really fighting a war against drugs, these people would not exist. They are open in their extravagence and flair. That's how they win the hearts of the locals. Until they dip too much into their own stash and turn to the dark side and start skinning and killing randomly.
You've brought up a great topic. If the US really wanted to, they could have firebombed every coca field, every weed patch, etc. Why billions to fight a war on drugs when the firepower that could have rained down on the producers could have ended said war when Reagan was confusing his wife with his mommy?

Instead we have Marines guarding poppy fields in Afghanistan. It's not all medical...
Drugs get into this country the same way they get into prisons. With the help of guards.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Oh trust me I know. That is a WHOLE other can of worms. I've made comparisons to the drug cartels and ISIS before. We worry so badly about taking out some terrorist organization that poses little threat to our homeland, but the organizations that are knocking on our door get completely ignored. It's infuriating.

Now, because we've let this problem fester for so long, the cartels have branched out into other types of crimes to maintain their portfolios. Taking them out by legalizing drugs isn't going to work anymore. Sure it'll hurt them considerably financially, but they'll recover. I lay the blame for the creation of cartels completely at the American conservatives' feet who passed and continue to support the war on drugs in any form.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

a reply to: the owlbear

Oh trust me I know. That is a WHOLE other can of worms. I've made comparisons to the drug cartels and ISIS before. We worry so badly about taking out some terrorist organization that poses little threat to our homeland, but the organizations that are knocking on our door get completely ignored. It's infuriating.

Now, because we've let this problem fester for so long, the cartels have branched out into other types of crimes to maintain their portfolios. Taking them out by legalizing drugs isn't going to work anymore. Sure it'll hurt them considerably financially, but they'll recover. I lay the blame for the creation of cartels completely at the American conservatives' feet who passed and continue to support the war on drugs in any form.

And who during the Reagan (I'm pissing my pants and just reading cue cards) years had the pull? The same guy that was head of the CIA during 'Nam. Conveniently Vice President. Handshakes and exchanges in chemical warfare for Saddam. Then invade and destroy when Saudi backers promised more.
It's all whorish.
Afghanistan was about a natural gas pipeline and control over opiates. 9/11 my ass...how many accused hijackers were Saudi nationals?
I know you know all of this...I'm just as frustrated as you are.
Wished I could have some medicine to get rid of all of this anxiety that has caused me to break two molars clenching my teeth...

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
I'd say the alcohol and Big Pharma lobbyists are at the top of the list of MANY industries trying to keep marijuana/hemp illegal...

I think Krazysh0t, as our FSME on cannabis, could probably answer who opposes legalization more but I would wager it is alcohol.

From what I recall the tobacco companies are tacit on the matter as it may open new revenue streams for them.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The biggest obstacle to legalizing marijuana is currently the Pharmaceutical industry. The alcohol industry is followed behind them. Then it's the police unions followed by the prison unions. Tobacco may or may not be involved depending on the company, but the big four are the ones I mentioned.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

See, that is why I gave you a promotion.

Now go reward yourself with something combustible.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
the feds want you to put money in the bank like nothings going on then wham it's theirs. It's happening already because the feds say it's still illegal. they need to start an Credit Union.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Lol. Gotta stay on top of these things for all my fellow hippies. Otherwise they'll just forget about it and talk to you about their fingers. "They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing. Oh. There they go." -Otto from the Simpsons.

edit on 23-10-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Set up a MMJ Bitcoin bank and F' the fed....

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Of course, one cannot "patent" and monopolize gifts of nature. At least not yet.

Actually in a way you can. Right now the US government owns the patent on the cannabinoids in Marijuana.
Does The U.S. Government Own A Patent On Marijuana?

The patent claims exclusive rights on the use of cannabinoids for treating neurological diseases, such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and stroke, and diseases caused by oxidative stress, such as heart attack, Crohn’s disease, diabetes and arthritis.

So why in the world is this illegal?

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I think they realized just how much money over the years this will generate and that probably scares them that they will eventually have a whole lot of extremely wealthy people out there that don't like them or agree with them.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Right now the US government owns the patent on the cannabinoids in Marijuana.

So why in the world is this illegal?

I had no idea this was even possible -- neither that natural cannabinoids could be patented nor that the U.S. govt could own such patents.

The patent (US6630507) is titled “Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants” and was awarded to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) in October 2003.

It was filed four years earlier, in 1999, by a group of scientists from the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), which is part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

At the end of the article it tells us that they cite several studies which show anti-epileptic effects as well. How many people -- and children -- are still suffering? And yet they are still fighting medical marijuana? I'm asking rhetorical questions of course. This is truly a crime against humanity.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

And yet they are still fighting medical marijuana? I'm asking rhetorical questions of course.

Think of it this way if you were big pharma and you were making hundreds of millions of dollars from drugs that "treat" these diseases would you want a drug legalized that a person could grow at home that has none of the side effects the drugs you sell does? Always remember in a capitalist system like we have in America profit is more important than people.
edit on 6970000001431America/ChicagoSat, 24 Oct 2015 10:44:14 -05002010 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Think of it this way if you were big pharma and you were making hundreds of millions of dollars from drugs that "treat" these diseases would you want a drug legalized that a person could grow at home that has none of the side effects the drugs you sell does? Always remember in a capitalist system like we have in America profit is more important than people.

Indeed... it's getting harder and harder to ignore. I've been doing research on cannabinoids -- particularly CBG, which is the precursor to all the other cannabinoids -- and I found research back to the 1950s proving the strong antimicrobial properties of cannabis, especially industrial hemp, which has the highest levels of CBGs (I'm assuming because the CBGs remain CBGs, as opposed to turning into THC or CBD, etc.). It sickens me to think how many people have suffered and died because of antibiotic resistant infections, and the best medicine is illegal. I cannot think of a bigger crime against all humanity.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join