It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Patricia becomes the strongest hurricane ever!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

originally posted by: JackReyes

Somebody with the capability should record the live feed and do a time lapse video of the storm making landfall.

Its not going to be live in several hours.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I wonder what relics are going to be uncovered along the shores from this.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
WoW that's a scary storm.

At that wind speed. There is no chance for survival. Nothing can withstand that unless it's a seriously hardened and even then I'd have doubts.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...?large#contents

National Hurricane Center has more info.

I worry that since it's Mexico and probably nothing there is built to withstand a hurricane. That there will be loss of life and major damage.

Visible satellite loop
www.goes.noaa.gov...

IR Loop
www.goes.noaa.gov...

Water Vapor loop
www.goes.noaa.gov...
edit on 23-10-2015 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder

originally posted by: Answer

originally posted by: JackReyes

Somebody with the capability should record the live feed and do a time lapse video of the storm making landfall.

Its not going to be live in several hours.

True but it'll still be interesting to see the lead-up to power loss.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

No. Typhoons are West of the International Date Line and Cyclones are Southern Hemisphere. They're Hurricanes out to the Date Line.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Damn, that's insane...

From a Tropical Storm to the strongest Hurricane ever recorded? CAT 5+ - All in 24hours?

Good luck trying to prepare for that... That's New Age Weather Patterns for ya.

I'll be watching. S&F.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Here is a live feed from Peurto Vallarta overlooking the city.

www.puertovallarta.net...

Several cameras there I have been looking at have exceeded their bandwidth, so I dunno how long this one will last.
Updates every 30 seconds.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Granted, I'm only 30, so i haven't done much "living", but I feel like weathers getting more and more extreme each year... Not sure if that's just me, or if anyone else shares that feeling.. Regardless, I hate seeing these storms when they find populous areas... Be safe everyone, and please don't try to stay and "survive" the storm. You only put yourself and those who are forced to come rescue you at risk.. Be smart...
edit on 23-10-2015 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

It is going to miss heavily populated areas at least.

Everyone else is being evacuated from everything I have read.
So hopefully the death toll will be very low.

200+mph winds and 30 foot storm surge.
That is hard to wrap my head around.
I would not want to be anywhere near it.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Still people walking around on the beach.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Beautiful picture of Patricia, taken from the space station ISS.

Click

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: earthling42
Beautiful picture of Patricia, taken from the space station ISS.

Click

Good grief, that is massive. Winds could increase to 205mph, too.

Good luck, Mexico. I'll be praying for you!

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: earthling42

Thanks a lot Obama...

Thanks...you made me laff!

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: Nyiah
Grrr, strongest IN THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE, not globally. God, I wish the news would make that very simple distinction. Doesn't draw page views if it's not super-shocking I suppose.

At last check via the NHC, and as far as I can find online anywhere else, Patricia's lowest recorded MB reading was 880. Typhoon Tip (1979) had a reading of 870. It's a damn strong storm, but not the strongest ever. That was Tip. 36 years ago.

Quick edit: if their qualification for strength is the winds & not MB, then she beats Tip by a good 40 MPH for sustained winds.

Phew, man. Thanks, Nyiah. Sure glad you cleared that up. For a second there, I thought this was a serious hurricane.

And here I thought you were going to try to blame it on your gas. Again. Oh well,the day's still young.
Don't mistake picking "Worst EVAR!" BS out of the pile for not giving a rip, it's a strong storm.

Speaking of whether or not Patricia holds World's Worst title, here's a few snippets from Wunderground, Jeff Masters' blog, for those interested in hurricane/typhoon stats throughout history.

On intensification rates & eye diameter:

Patricia is estimated to have intensified 85 knots (100 mph) in 24 hours, from a tropical storm to a Category 5 hurricane. In the Eastern Pacific, Hurricane Linda of 1997 is the only storm on record to have intensified at this rate. The Atlantic's record holder for largest wind increase in 24 hours is held by Hurricane Wilma of 2005, which intensified from a 60-knot tropical storm to a 150-knot Category 5 hurricane--an increase of 90 knots (105 mph). Air Force reconnaissance observations indicated that the eye of Wilma contracted to a diameter of 2 n mi during this time; this is the smallest eye known to National Hurricane Center (NHC) staff. Patricia's eye diameter was 8 miles at it's peak strength.

On winds:

Patricia's 200 mph sustained winds make it the 3rd strongest tropical cyclone in world history (by 1-minute averaged wind speed.) Officially, here are the strongest tropical cyclones in world history, according to the Joint Typhoon Warning Center and the National Hurricane Center (using 1-minute averaged sustained winds):

Super Typhoon Nancy (1961), 215 mph winds, 882 mb. Made landfall as a Cat 2 in Japan, killing 191 people.
Super Typhoon Violet (1961), 205 mph winds, 886 mb pressure. Made landfall in Japan as a tropical storm, killing 2 people.
Super Typhoon Ida (1958), 200 mph winds, 877 mb pressure. Made landfall as a Cat 1 in Japan, killing 1269 people.
Super Typhoon Haiyan (2013), 195 mph winds, 895 mb pressure. Made landfall in the Philippines at peak strength.
Super Typhoon Kit (1966), 195 mph winds, 880 mb. Did not make landfall.
Super Typhoon Sally (1964), 195 mph winds, 895 mb. Made landfall as a Cat 4 in the Philippines.

However, it is now recognized (Black 1992) that the maximum sustained winds estimated for typhoons during the 1940s to 1960s were too strong. The strongest reliably measured tropical cyclones were both 10 mph weaker than Patricia, with 190 mph winds—the Western Pacific's Super Typhoon Tip of 1979, and the Atlantic's Hurricane Allen of 1980. Both storms had a hurricane hunter aircraft inside of them to measure their top winds. Haiyan's winds were estimated using only satellite images, making its intensity estimate of lower confidence.

Note there is debate over wind accuracy for historical storms. And who knows how many Patricias there were before records were kept, wonder if this would be the occasional baddie or a fluke to Ancient Mayans?

At the same time, we should keep in mind that not all hurricanes are sampled while at peak strength. Satellite methods of estimating intensity, such as the Dvorak technique, cannot capture the most extreme peak winds and central pressures found in storms such as Patricia and Wilma. It is possible that previous hurricanes, such as the 1935 Labor Day hurricane that devastated the Florida Keys, had intensification rates and peak winds on par with Patricia. The bottom line is that Patricia is at the very highest end of what we can expect in terms of a small, extremely intense hurricane.

The size of a hurricane also shapes its destructive power. Although Sandy was never a Category 4 or 5 hurricane, its longevity and size enabled it to move as much water in the form of waves and surge as Category 5 Katrina. We are lucky that Patricia is no larger than it is--although this is cold comfort for those who will be directly affected.

www.wunderground.com...

Whether or not the hurricane is an uber-cane is neither here nor there at this point. It's big, it's bad, and it's Mother Nature come unhinged like it's predecessors.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Spotted a link to this in the blog comments, Hurricane Hunters flight through Patricia. You can hear that beast over the engines, wow:

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Its not gonna hit at that speed, its a tropical storm...

But Mexico is gonna get broken into two..

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: shadownninja
LOL each cat 5 is dubbed as the strongest ever...

The next cat 5 will probably also be known as the strongest ever.

That's because they are. Instead of doubting fact, maybe you should be asking why that is. This is a trend that began in just the past few years. Why is that?

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I for one will be praying for the souls of those destined to be killed by this storm. There will be massive loss of life.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

That's because they are. Instead of doubting fact, maybe you should be asking why that is. This is a trend that began in just the past few years. Why is that?

There hasn't been a hurricane in the U.S. in over nine years. What are you even talking about?

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
This is kinda cool link. Got it from another thread.

www.youtube.com...

Thank you Superfrog.
edit on 23-10-2015 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join