It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Patricia becomes the strongest hurricane ever!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Hurricane Patricia Becomes Strongest Hurricane Ever Recorded; Catastrophic Landfall Expected in Mexico Friday

At 4 a.m. CDT, the eye of Hurricane Patricia was about 160 miles (255 kilometers) south-southwest of Manzanillo, Mexico, and was moving north-northwest at 12 mph (19 kph).

In addition to its unprecedented 200-mph (320-kph) sustained winds, Hurricane Patricia now holds the record for lowest pressure in any hurricane on record. With a minimum central pressure of 880 millibars (25.99 inches of mercury) at the 4 a.m. CDT advisory, Patricia broke the record of 882 millibars set by Wilma almost exactly 10 years ago.

Data from an Air Force Hurricane Hunter airborne reconnaissance mission late Thursday night provided critical data demonstrating the extreme intensification of Hurricane Patricia in near-real time.

Within 24 hours this tropical storm developed into a cat 5 hurricane and the strongest ever recorded.

Predicted landfall is friday night, puerto vallarta seems to be in its path.

Wunderground

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: earthling42
Hurricane Patricia Becomes Strongest Hurricane Ever Recorded; Catastrophic Landfall Expected in Mexico Friday

At 4 a.m. CDT, the eye of Hurricane Patricia was about 160 miles (255 kilometers) south-southwest of Manzanillo, Mexico, and was moving north-northwest at 12 mph (19 kph).

In addition to its unprecedented 200-mph (320-kph) sustained winds, Hurricane Patricia now holds the record for lowest pressure in any hurricane on record. With a minimum central pressure of 880 millibars (25.99 inches of mercury) at the 4 a.m. CDT advisory, Patricia broke the record of 882 millibars set by Wilma almost exactly 10 years ago.

Data from an Air Force Hurricane Hunter airborne reconnaissance mission late Thursday night provided critical data demonstrating the extreme intensification of Hurricane Patricia in near-real time.

Within 24 hours this tropical storm developed into a cat 5 hurricane and the strongest ever recorded.

Predicted landfall is friday night, puerto vallarta seems to be in its path.

Wunderground

Hopefully it breaks up some or that is going to leave a mark.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

The equivalent of an F4 or F5 tornado if it stays at current strength, that sure is destructive for everything in its path so i hope it will miss Puerto Vallarta.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: earthling42

Damn!!!!!

I hope they have a plan in place.

That strong at that size.....it will flatten all but the sturdiest structures.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: earthling42

This should jump start the downpours expected for Ca this winter. Hope no lives lost and minimal damage to our neighbors south of the border!

Good luck and God Bless you, Mexico.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
NBC news has called this hurricane"the strongest storm ever measured on the planet."

Hurricane Patricia

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I am sure gas is going to go way up and I hope all oil platforms are ready!

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

edit on 23-10-2015 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Being in the pacific, should this not be called a typhoon or cyclone and not a hurricane?
Still a big some bitch...

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Grrr, strongest IN THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE, not globally. God, I wish the news would make that very simple distinction. Doesn't draw page views if it's not super-shocking I suppose.

At last check via the NHC, and as far as I can find online anywhere else, Patricia's lowest recorded MB reading was 880. Typhoon Tip (1979) had a reading of 870. It's a damn strong storm, but not the strongest ever. That was Tip. 36 years ago.
edit on 10/23/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

Quick edit: if their qualification for strength is the winds & not MB, then she beats Tip by a good 40 MPH for sustained winds.
edit on 10/23/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
An EF5 tornado* has winds of 200 MPH or above.

What happens when one of those hits a populated area?

Now imagine, 200MPH winds, the size of a hurricane.

edit on 23-10-2015 by JackReyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

That's the kind of thing that passes for journalism today. Its gotta big the biggest or the worst. Awful just don't cut it today.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

That's the kind of thing that passes for journalism today. Its gotta big the biggest or the worst. Awful just don't cut it today.

Any storm that takes one life is too much.

I am reminded of Jesus when he was tired once, and his apostles were rowing a fishing boat from one side of the sea of Galilee to the other. The way it is situated winds from the mountains above can blow down and cause great wind storms, and on this occasion during night it did. It rocked the boat so violently, these veteran fisherman of the sea grew afraid, and saw Jesus sleeping soundly and woke him.

He merely looked up toward the sky and said: "Hush." And the wind listened to him, and the sea became still.

Man has made so many fictitious superheros that supposedly will take care of man. But there is a person who is real, and he can hush the wind with but a word.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

My doom is bigger than your doom!

Sorry, couldn't resist.........

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
The craziest thing for me seems to be that up until only a couple of days ago, this was a Tropical storm......hits the warm blob and BAM.......biggest recorded hurricane. Will this be typical this year? If so, it could be quite an uncomfortable season ahead......

It already looks like there is another one qeueing up to follow on its heels (thanks for the maps PurpleDog).

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Grrr, strongest IN THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE, not globally. God, I wish the news would make that very simple distinction. Doesn't draw page views if it's not super-shocking I suppose.

At last check via the NHC, and as far as I can find online anywhere else, Patricia's lowest recorded MB reading was 880. Typhoon Tip (1979) had a reading of 870. It's a damn strong storm, but not the strongest ever. That was Tip. 36 years ago.

Quick edit: if their qualification for strength is the winds & not MB, then she beats Tip by a good 40 MPH for sustained winds.

Phew, man. Thanks, Nyiah. Sure glad you cleared that up. For a second there, I thought this was a serious hurricane.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Those poor people. It accelerated so fast from a tropical storm to a category 5 hurricane that they're scrambling to get their homes prepared.

They're saying this will affect Texas, as well. The moisture from the storm will mix with the storms already here and will make a bad situation worse. Right now in the Dallas area we are dealing with heavy rainfall/flash flooding and Patricia could make it worse.
edit on 23-10-2015 by texasgirl because: spelling

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

If I were in the projected path, I would have packed my car, with my family and some clothes, filled the tank, and hauled it out of there. I hope those people are going to be safe.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I'm in the Houston/Galveston area and we are expected to feel the affects of this storm.

This is a doozy make no mistake.

Even the rains from this thing will do a lot of damage, and don't forget coastal flooding from storm surge.

Buckle up ladies, this one has a high pucker factor.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join