It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do We Want Private Corporations Educating Our Kids?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Ohio's schools have become a national joke. Governor John Kasich and his cronies have run amok with the charter system, so today myself and my Vigilant Producer Alex Logan are following the Money Trail. Since Kasich is campaigning for the republican presidential nomination, what could that mean for a high school near you? Find out on today's Off The Grid!

edit on 22-10-2015 by JesseVentura because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Kasich is a supporter of 'Common Core' and a traitor to the state of Ohio in which I live. The problem I see is public education is already broken and I don't want those union clowns educating our youth any more that I do corporations. If I had to start over again I would likely turn to home schooling because you really can't trust anyone to do something right besides yourself.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

No!

How long before kids say to each other "Which corporation do you belong to?"

Home education

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JesseVentura

I dont really watch these anymore mainly because Jesse doesn't actually get involved in the debate on here, clearly he either has someone else putting it up and then walking away and not commenting back or it's one of his underlings pretending to be him rather than him replying.

I've commented a few of these and asked him if he'd look into the huge pedo ring running through the VIPs of my country's elite and nothing, not a dicky bird.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus
Common core is NOT in and of itself 'bad'. People paint it like SATAN. It is more 'show your work and show it in a certain way'. Not every math problem in every common core math book is right, it certainly needs corrections. Just like past math text books where parents freaked out about the 'new math' .

As for this OP, the Governor is correct.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
a reply to: Metallicus
Common core is NOT in and of itself 'bad'. People paint it like SATAN. It is more 'show your work and show it in a certain way'. Not every math problem in every common core math book is right, it certainly needs corrections. Just like past math text books where parents freaked out about the 'new math' .

As for this OP, the Governor is correct.

Common core is designed to exclude the parents! I've watched quite a few vids on this subject and came to the same conclusion as the parents. They even have posters in the schools telling kids their work will be marked down if they get their info from anywhere else, whether or not it is right or wrong.
And I'm sorry, but I dont think 5 year olds should be taught about anal sex! do you?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

First I had to worry about my kids belonging to the state. Now I have to worry about a corporate cronnies watching my kids.....great. What in the blue bloody hell has this country come to.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

It's probably inevitable. We already have Corporate prisons, Corporate Armies fighting in the ME, Corporate contractors taking over what used to be under State and County supervision, etc.

The future of a Fascist Corpratracy where the citizen is just a resource for "taxes" to pay for it.

It's a brave new world....

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is a private corporation!!!!! Look it up. If you send your children to a government school, then they are already educated by a private corporation. Might be the reason US children rank in the middle third of the world's education rankings.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I see a couple of home schooling advocates and im sure there are many more. But i will argue for the public school system. The key to a successful student is the marriage of parenting as well as school diligence. Public school can never get everything right, but can you as a homeschooling parent really rely on your teaching skills of say high school chemistry, biology, or physics? If so, good on you, but public schools done right set a foundation that will drive a students curiousity and education far into the future. We should not shun the public school system in its entirety but rather enrich an evironment that encourages cooperation of studious school and home life.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: doclec
I see a couple of home schooling advocates and im sure there are many more. But i will argue for the public school system. The key to a successful student is the marriage of parenting as well as school diligence. Public school can never get everything right, but can you as a homeschooling parent really rely on your teaching skills of say high school chemistry, biology, or physics? If so, good on you, but public schools done right set a foundation that will drive a students curiousity and education far into the future. We should not shun the public school system in its entirety but rather enrich an evironment that encourages cooperation of studious school and home life.

If schools were genuinely about a good all round education I would agree with you, but they are not.
The purpose of schooling is all about creating an obedient worker, able only to think about work!
There is more to this life than just being an obedient worker!
Have you noticed the recent bs being pushed from the tv's?
"Work ready"
Wouldn't it be better if it said "Life ready" ?

As for your comments about whether parents can provide an education, sure they can, thats what the Internet is for! I know quite a few home educated children, and they are way ahead of those stuck inside the state schools!
I recently learned the following.
For the first six months at school children will learn to count to fifteen, and learn the first half of the alphabet.
I was shocked by that! ALL the home schoolers that I know could count without limit and knew the entire alphabet when they were just four years old!

Just down the road from where I live there's a home schoolers club, the kids pop in and out whenever they want, and what really stands out when you go past is how well adjusted those kids are!
When the local state school closes at the end of the day and the kids are on their way home you will see fights, spitting, shouting and swearing, kids smoking, bullies, kids buying from the school dealers etc etc etc.

The schools themselves now resemble high security prisons! They have eight foot fences, cameras everywhere, entry systems, and the kids are marched between classes as if they are high risk prisoners.

They are not schools anymore, they are factories churning out what our corporate masters require.

edit on 22-10-2015 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I want a choice. I don't want to have my kid funneled into this or that school because my zip code says this is where he has to go with my taxes siphoned off to go there no matter what.

Whose business is it where I send my kid? Who cares if I do the legwork and determine that I want a classical curriculum education, a Montessori approach, something that is religiously centered, to stay in the public system, go with a charter, go with a magnet, or some combination of these?

Why do I, as the concerned parent, trying to be involved in my child's education, as the person who knows my child best, not have that choice?

Why shouldn't I have that choice? And what makes any of these decisions more or less better than any other so long as I can get my child a solid education from it?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Do we want to have the option of Private Hospitals for treatment when we have that wonderful Government run VA hospital?

Yeah,

How about everyone gets a voucher and they can send their kid where they think is best.

Progressives are all about the "rights to choose" unless it is a Progressive leaning organization that you want to "choose" to be away from.

edit on 22-10-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Double post

edit on 22-10-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

I think generally schools are all about good learning. It maybe a handful of teachers and students who are bad and reflect as such to the outside observer, but i dont think there is much that can for example rival being in a laboratory and dissecting animals for the first time.

I think schools produce the obedient worker in relation to the barrages of standardized tests. Ive never been a fan of the created environment of teaching to the test. But i have seen many well adjusted kids come out of public schools as well.

I guess my point is that i think public schooling is an important part of organized society. As i mentioned before parenting is important because along with the fundamentals that public schooling provides, the parents should be the counter balance to make sure family and societal values are maintained as well.

Im ok with the state teaching my kid, as long as i know whats being taught. Im not ok with a corporation teaching my kid, because they are not going to be regulated as rigorously as we see with the Teach For America program.

If you get any group of kids together youre bound to get shananagins. Some schools look like prisons yes, but this is what we as a society have decided to do because people walk into schools and shoot them up, a metal detector acts as a deterrent.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: doclec

You realize the every single material used in the state school was produced by a corporation and that most of the standards being used by the public schools were designed mainly be corporate experts, not academic ones or even many child development experts?

So explain to me again how the state is teaching your school when it uses corporate materials and corporate standards designed to produce corporate drones?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

But you do have a choice in most situatons. Public, private or chartered. If you go public, unfortunately you have to attend from within your zip code. If you go private, you pay your money and you take your pick. And charter schools are some combination of both those options.

As far as public as it relates to the zip code, there has to be some form of regulation, otherwise you get people from across the city trying to get into the "good" schools.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Its produced by a corperation that makes educational material that is voted into usage by a school board (It is hard to get away from those pesky corporations). And the school board has usually been elected by the public in that area. Most of the school board members are former teachers or education administrators. Look closely at the attributes of people running for school board. They almost always include their education experience as a reason to be elected.

The state is teaching school and yeah, sometimes a corporate candidate makes it onto the board, but usually they are identified, drowned out and removed come next election cycle. The problem now is the corporate candidates disguise themselves very well. They get into the system and start advocating for vouchers and charter schools.

And please, what exactly is a corporate standard? I think some school criteria produces people without critical thinking skills, but they can calculus the hell out of anything. Teaching to the test has to be done away with though, imo

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Sir, that is the beauty of capitalism. You're not a communist, are you?

Homeschooling would be the best if we could get a bunch of kids together. We might have to live close to each other collectively to facilitate the consensus of knowledge. Oh no! I'm turning commie. Help.
edit on 22-10-2015 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Dwoodward85
I just started checking these threads out (not the videos). You mean the Governator doesn't actually hang out at ATS? In Ventura's defense, we are a pretty strange group.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join