It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Anti-Aging Pill and how to Avoid FDA test that would take long?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Facing a long wait for evidence, a longevity researcher takes an unusual path to market.

Everyone is getting older. Few are happy about it.

An anti-aging startup hopes to elude the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and death at the same time.

The company, Elysium Health, says it will be turning chemicals that lengthen the lives of mice and worms in the laboratory into over-the-counter vitamin pills that people can take to combat aging.

The startup is being founded by Leonard Guarente, an MIT biologist who is 62 (“unfortunately,” he says) and who’s convinced that the process of aging can be slowed by tweaking the body’s metabolism.

The problem, Guarente says, is that it’s nearly impossible to prove, in any reasonable time frame, that drugs that extend the lifespan of animals can do the same in people; such an experiment could take decades. That’s why Guarente says he decided to take the unconventional route of packaging cutting-edge lab research as so-called nutraceuticals, which don’t require clinical trials or approval by the FDA.

This means there’s no guarantee that Elysium’s first product, a blue pill called Basis that is going on sale this week, will actually keep you young. The product contains a chemical precursor to nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide, or NAD, a compound that cells use to carry out metabolic reactions like releasing energy from glucose. The compound is believed cause some effects similar to a diet that is severely short on calories—a proven way to make a mouse live longer.

Elysium’s approach to the anti-aging market represents a change of strategy for Guarente. He was previously involved with Sirtris Pharmaceuticals, a high-profile biotechnology startup that studied resveratrol, an anti-aging compound found in red wine that it hoped would help patients with diabetes. That company was bought by drug giant GlaxoSmithKline, but early trials failed to pan out.

This time, Guarente says, the idea is to market anti-aging molecules as a dietary supplement and follow up with clients over time with surveys and post-marketing studies. Guarente is founding the company along with Eric Marcotulli, a former venture capitalist and technology executive who will be CEO, and Dan Alminana, chief operating officer.

The company says it will follow strict pharmaceutical-quality production standards and make the supplements available solely through its website, for $60 for a 30-day supply or $50 per month with an ongoing subscription.

Source: www.technologyreview.com... campaign=june2015

Not sure what to make out of this... it just sounds too good to be true, and avoiding FDA just leads to thinking about scam and conspiracy...

Would you take blue pill? (almost like matrix
)

This also brings to light recent comments about FDA not regulating all those products that not only don't have to do what they claim - but can also harm you.

www.npr.org...
edit on 22-10-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

If it is a safe supplement, has had human trials and is not offered as '14 day trial, money back" (yet you are never fast enough to stop 79.95 charged to your card)...why not try it? If somewhere like GNC were to carry it, I might try it.

I take L-Lysine, CoQ10, fish oil and a couple other supplements that I know keep me looking young and my hair and nails growing very fast. Simple Eucerin cream and a comfrey poultice are great helps. My mom is 63 and 2 weeks of a comfrey poultice I had made for her took 15 years off of her skin.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

It does not make much sense to avoid testing at this point.

If the results are real then funding would be no problem.

If animal test were not conclusive then they may go this route.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Why not avoid them?
If this pill doesn't kill anyone, they will be way ahead of the FDA and the pills they have approved.

I would try it.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Your link is from February. These pills are already available everywhere, including on Amazon here and they are only rated 3 stars. I think these are just a gimmick, but will not pay $45 to try it myself with the low reviews like that.

Edit: OMG, it's not some 'special components' it is VITAMIN B3! Hahahaha, go to Walmart, pay $3.00 for the same thing.

edit on 10/22/15 by Ameilia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I've taken d-ribose before and noticed an energy boost. For most people, these things will only "work" or be noticeable unless they have some kind of deficiency already.

A thing to always remember about stuff like this -- they may present "clinical studies" to prove the effectiveness -- but look to see what kind. If they list in vitro studies be careful. This means they did studies in a petri dish or test tub outside of a living organism. Because of this, in vitro studies can lead to results you wont see inside a living being. There are a lot of other factors going on inside an organism...

Just because something worked in a test tube doesn't mean it'll work in your body is basically what I'm getting at. It's a promising sign, for sure -- but don't let people use those studies to sell you hook, line and sinker.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Why not avoid them?
If this pill doesn't kill anyone, they will be way ahead of the FDA and the pills they have approved.

I would try it.

The thing is that amoung the reasons not to go to human trials like funding, time and corruption of the system there is also the possibility that the drug just may not work as intended.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   
If it was as promising as they said they'd be able to prove it and reap the benefits of initial investment and then by sanctioned release.
The fact that they refuse to do that is testament to the "effectiveness" of their product.

ALthough their release about not being able to show the FDA that it works will convince the gullibles that it does...

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Animal testing with IV NAD+ has amazing effects. Really off the wall OMFG level sorts of effects. It's probably the most immediately available thing that, if it works in people the way it works in other mammals, would BE a "rejuvenation medicine", not that it fixes everything, but it sure gets a wide swath of it.

The problems are that it takes a lot of it, and it's IV. And it's temporary. The real fix for what it does would be to repair or regenerate the defective mitochondria you are patching up with the NAD+ infusion.

I'm not sure you can take it orally and get the same result. They were planning to do human trials this year or next anyway so for this guy to say it will take forever and won't happen is sort of a fiction. Also the dose would be a lot more than that pill.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
If it does to people what it does to rats and dogs the FDA won't have any trouble approving it as a geriatric medicine, although getting approval as a life extender might take a while.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
For some reason - just fact that they are avoiding testing on humans to get FDA approval is rising red flag, as vitamins not only that don't need FDA approval, but actually don't even have to have what they claim is inside product you're buying.

I find it quite strange and disturbing that you guys don't mind to be lab experiments, even after link in OP about number of people treated in ER every year for those supplements/vitamins.

Please don't tell me you guys believe in homeotherapy.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Please don't tell me you guys believe in homeotherapy

It seems to be a real thing so believing in it would not be false.

treatment with a substance similar to the causative agent of the disease. Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, ...

It is real

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

They were planning to do human trials this year or next anyway so for this guy to say it will take forever and won't happen is sort of a fiction. Also the dose would be a lot more than that pill.

I have made a thread about a cancer drug in Australia that was in the same boat. They were curing animals of tumors very effectively and the same was said in 2012 about human testing. They spent almost a billion dollars to go to trials then got caught up in legal battles and we still can not get access to the drug.

It is not always cut and dry when big pharma gets involved.

EBC-46

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   

I continue to be amazed at how people just regurgitate the propaganda points of the oligarchy. Supplement injury is virtually non-existent compared to the injury due to prescription drugs. Also the propaganda piece many cite include things like nose and eye drops which technically aren't supplements.

Many enjoy improved health outcomes through supplements that patent medicine simply can not provide.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   
F### the FDA they have been stopping all kinds of helpful products which may aid people since they started. Trials cost millions of dollars. . . .

Lets hope someone gets the cure for aging out before the FDA puts a stop to them. . .

I dont see the FDA stopping cancer causing meat, Monsanto roundup, and stopping smoking. . . . .Because they are a BS crooked agency.
edit on 27-10-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-10-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
F### the FDA they have been stopping all kinds of helpful products which may aid people since they started. Trials cost millions of dollars. . . .

Lets hope someone gets the cure for aging out before the FDA puts a stop to them. . .

I dont see the FDA stopping cancer causing meat, Monsanto roundup, and stopping smoking. . . . .Because they are a BS crooked agency.

Tell you what then, why not let anyone release anything they want and put whatever they want on the label.
They don't need to disclose what's in it, they don't need to actually prove it does what they say, you just need to take their word for it.
(Saying that, that's what the supplement industry do now anyway, they just add a tiny disclaimer on the bottom of the packet).

I really need to get into that business as there are sooooo many gullibles who'll buy anything.
Would you like to buy some powdered toad eyes I've just made?
I believe it makes you immortal...

top topics

join