It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Black/Urban English? Is the inability to speak correctly contributeing to unemployment?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:21 PM
a reply to: aeonminder
I decided not to point out the blatant grammatical errors. That's never a good way to make friends.

edit on 22-10-2015 by gentledissident because: more to say have you?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:29 PM

originally posted by: intrepid
Slang creeps into language.

I've had to introduce slang into my speaking as a matter of necessity. At one point, I was ranked nationally at the 99th percentile in grammar. That becomes a problem when one drops out of society.

On a side note, I've cursed like a sailor (and chased girls) since 4.
edit on 22-10-2015 by gentledissident because: It's this darn cold!

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:57 PM
I grew up in North Carolina and talked like the people there. I moved to the Mid-West and starting talking like Mid-Westerners. I moved back to the South but by then there were plenty of people who didn't have a Southern accent. So I still talk like I'm from the Mid-West.
a reply to: Khaleesi

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:59 PM
What really gets me is the "gangsta" type of language that's mostly in the big cities. I'm not talking about different accents or anything like that, nor North Eastern vs Texan, etc.... I grew up in Minnesota and developed a "northern" accent with some additional slang before I moved to Texas. Nobody told me "Pop" doesn't exist in Texas. It's mostly "Coke", and to a lesser extent, "Soda". Apparently being from the north also gives you a bit of Canadianism to. People looked at me weird when I said words like "About" or "Couch". I still made sure to retain a bit of that accent after converting to mostly Texan.

Anyways, back to the "gangsta" talk. The language is just a bunch of mumbling with a bunch of N bombs dropped after every other word and massive amounts of cussing mixed into each sentence. It's not like it's just one race or age related thing either. After living in Dallas for awhile, I've had the opportunity to have 40 year old white guys come up to me and say something along the lines of "Aye (insert N word here), holla atch yo boiii" or something similar and then also throw in a few cuss words into that sentence to. Then when it comes to trying to read something written down by some of these guys, I cant even begin to understand what's going on.

Quick example in this video of the speech I'm talking about.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:29 AM

originally posted by: crazyewok
I run a small buisness in the south London area. And I have noticed the extreme lack of communication skills among the black community.

I am binning around 8 out of 10 black applicants applications after speaking to them, not due to them being black, but there inability to string a coherent sentence together. In fact I have noticed this "urban" talk in some white candidates too, though not to the same extent, and resulting in equal binned applications.

Why is this?

Surely one must realise that urban "English " is not correct for the work place, interviews and especially not CV's?

Surely one can not expect to be employable with such poor communication skills?

Is this one of the reasons behind current black poverty and unemployment? Has a innercity culture incompatible with the job market established itself?

Is the poor communication skills driving the problems in community integration?

I know it may be rich comings from dyslexic me! But I am not talking missing a letter here or there, useing a comma instead of a full stop or getting the odd i and e round the wrong way on a message board. Im talking barely legible spoken or written English here on CV's and interviews .

It's called "Ebonics". And it's been around for a long long time.

What is Ebonics (African American English)?

It used to be used exclusively by the African Americans, but now tv and movies have helped spread it around the world.
Technology is to blame. TV, twitter, text messaging, celebrity worship.
All of these things are responsible for turning the younger generations into a bunch of idiots.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 01:07 AM
How bad of street slang are we talking? I can see not hiring someone for it if it affects their job performance, but other than that, I don't think it is a problem.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:45 AM
a reply to: crazyewok

interesting thread. I run a recruitment agency and understand your concerns.

I feel people really loose their inability to communicate to a certain standard, either vocal or written is probably due to us relying on technology to pick up our mistakes such as spell checker (as i am writing now i am correcting the mistakes with a red line under it) all the time whilst being brainwashed by other technologies. For example short hand texting, watching american TV channels like BET (Black Entertainment Television). Not just black but white people watching Only way is Essex, Jordie shore etc.

if you are repeatedly doing the above you start to lower your standards, repetition is a good way of changing the way you think. Alot of people still think Arabs destroyed the twin towers, why? because of repetition on the media.

the governments system is in favour of dumbing us down, makes them cleaver, the dumber and stupider we are the easier it is to control.

i look at so many Cv's and some are excellent, then when speaking they are terrible in terms of words they use. Im not educated but i like to think i can hold a decent conversation.

that's my personal view . im sure its not everyone s.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:49 AM
Its a culture thing,typical with that generation who listen to the rubbish the radios play all day

Doesn't matter about the colour of your skin,it's all about your circle of friends and their choices in media and entertainment

I'm not sure this fake street gang talk exists out of that genre of music and rap,but I could be wrong

Any rock or metal bands or fans talk in this manner?

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:51 AM
Also watched the video posted by the OP showing this Jamaica sounding street slang and I'm at a loss to why anyone would want to talk this way when it makes them sound like uneducated idiots

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:54 AM

originally posted by: Whereismypassword
Also watched the video posted by the OP showing this Jamaica sounding street slang and I'm at a loss to why anyone would want to talk this way when it makes them sound like uneducated idiots

Because being educated, just ain't cool bruv.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 03:05 AM

I call this the spread of Stree Kulcha, which is idiot for street culture. Truth be told, street culture is merely a euphemism for not having any culture what so ever. Round my way, this is a problem affecting 70% of young people below the age of twenty, and it matters not what skin colour is involved. If you want a description of the heart of irony, hear this sentence at a bus stop, uttered by a young white fellow:

"My fam is da EDL blud, innit."

I hate the EDL, but hearing a supporter who cannot even speak English, announce his support in this fashion was...educational.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 03:44 AM

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Vroomfondel

The ones who kill me as a proofreader are the ones who think they need to stop every sentence with an ellipses.

Yep, that was what I was trying to get at...

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 04:14 AM

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

I saw on the morning Detroit News shows that they are teaching Shakespeare to rap music altering the real words so the kids...heads bopping...will "get him".

I'm at a loss...we're doomed.

Why would that make us doomed? A lot of Shakespeare's work is based upon older tales which he adapted for the stage and made contemporary for his time, using of course his fantastic ability to re-imagine them with more contemporary language - a lot of which he invented. I'm sure there were purists at the time who saw that as heresy and thought they would all be doomed..... kind of a relief he didn't listen to them eh?

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 04:33 AM
'Ebonics' = simian speak. People who use this patois form of English as their 'mother tongue', are likely clinically, intellectually handicapped.

It's bad enough that U.S. English dumbs down words in order to help the nation's uneducated plebe multitudes sound out words -- e.g., "sufur" (sulphur), "labor" (labour"), "skeptic" (sceptic) et al.. But, 'ebonics' is beyond the pale of language bastardisation and connotes a sub culture no sane-minded human being would want to be associated with.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 04:39 AM

Government has decided it's acceptable in schools and is racist to ask them to speak proper English.

Look at the recent college debate winners. It's a travesty. A group tried to organize an ACTUAL debate, where you needed to use English, and stay on topic .. they were called racist.
edit on 23-10-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 04:49 AM

originally posted by: Revolution9

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I received a resume last year and, under experience, the person listed, this is verbatim, 'Helping day customers wit day bags.'

This person, sadly, will never have meaningful employment.

O god. That has minimum wage for life written all over it!

Hah! I managed to get this far before you set me on fire and just had to reply.

You bigot, you. In your OP I could gather enough information to have you in court for racial discrimination as an employer. Is a Scottish or Irish or Cornish person suitable to you, because many of them have equally colloquial variance of vernacular? The English language incorporates many variants. Patois among the Jamaican people is just one example. You are too much the judge in life. You are measuring out your own narrow standards as something we should all be striving for. You are old fashioned, too. Too late, the world will not bow to your white England. Most native white English people I speak to have a terrible grasp of their native language.

I wonder what you would think of me? I have studied at university and did an English Literature degree. I have written so many poems, songs and read so much prose and poetry. I am totally versed in one of the English language's most eloquent poets. I expect verbally I am more experienced than you. Yet I scowl at your version of England and what a person should be. Indeed, I am in rebellion. I operate outside of your society very successfully and live a free life away from the fetters of your imprisoning perception. The black person who you unfairly judge on their language abilities and accent is my friend and I can see deeper the value of their being beyond the veneer of an illusion of outward propriety. Some of the most eloquent, intelligent, well presented high society individuals have committed unspeakable crimes. Intelligence, eloquence and the cut of your garment does not guarantee an individual of good character. Frequently mutton is dressed up as lamb.

The worst of it is that you are the biggest victim because you judge, dismiss and lose out on so much LIFE! I could judge you and call you names because of your dyslexia, but I would never do that. I see deeper than that. I will not ask you to be anything other than who you are. If I was black and stuttered you have told me that you would throw my application away. I would not work for an employer like you even if it meant starving.

Yet you invalidate your entire point by writing that entire entire post in coherent English we all understand .
If you showed such skill in your CV and interview I would have little problem.

If wanting someone that speaks clear, fluent english at work makes me a evil racist..........sue me.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 04:53 AM

originally posted by: aeonminder
Ah... The irony of the OP not being able to spell "contributing" in the title of this thread is sublime.

I postulate it is definitely the OP's lack of education, and possibly their skin colour that contributed to the hilarity - and I also doubt his ability to find gainful employment due to one too may "e"'s in his contribution to society.

I put one stupud e in?

ATS two hour edit window would not let me change it.

But that extra e does not make the title illegible or impossible to understand does it not?
edit on 23-10-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-10-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 04:55 AM
a reply to: redoubt

I have a book "High school subjects Self Taught" by Lewis Copeland. First printed in the 1940's.
It covers English, Latin, Trigonometry, Geometry, Calculus, Science, Chemistry, Physics etc.
Those were not electives back then but requirements.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 04:59 AM

One caveman says to another, "Grunt properly".
In the grand scheme of things, a lot of you are that caveman.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 05:10 AM
a reply to: mikemars261

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>