It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I have to RENEW my car registration?!?!?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

You're really gonna love the VMT, Vehicle Mileage Tax. That's the next "progressive" tax scam. So, each year you're billed pennies for every mile you drove. They'll say it'll replace the gas tax, but.....they'll never repeal the gas tax either. All part of the plan to end personal mobility.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Well, at least it's every two years...mine is annual. Plus a vehicle inspection that has to be passed. My check engine light is on. Mine is due next month. Automatic fail.
My ex once had to put windshield wipers on before they would pass her car that was less than a year old.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I've never checked, but I wonder if you could pay in advance or is it something they require you to do, in person every year/2 years.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The registration is kind of like a vehicle tax. If your car is going to use the roads, you ought to chip in to their maintenance and upkeep. The registration is proof you've paid to legally drive that car on the road.

It may be inconvenient, but I don't want freeloaders in unregistered vehicles driving on the roads that I helped pay for.

Besides, you generally have to show proof of insurance when you get a vehicle registered. I don't want some uninsured, unregistered (non-paying) freeloader out on the roads with me.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
a reply to: Grimpachi

They are gonna get your money... one way or another.

32$ for renewal VS. ticket and hassle

It is an easy decision.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
32$ for renewal VS. ticket and hassle

It is an easy decision.

Eactly. In New Jersey you are looking at a ticket, tow and impound until it is registered.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I hear what your saying. I would point out though that plenty of people have insurance just long enough to get their registration then let it lapse.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I know *grumbling* and then I have to carry uninsured motorist for extra $$$.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

How would they know?

Besides, they need the revenue stream, why ask why?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Hey you guys NOT SO LOUD!!!!
In the uk we register when we take ownership, then notify them when we sell the vehicle, and thats it!

So please remove this thread before our British masters see it and realize they've been missing out on a great scam!

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Before it was just a tax thing.
But, now it's more of a way to keep tabs on suspended drivers, cars without insurance, stolen cars, illegal cars etc. Also, administration fees for keeping said tabs on your vehicle and you.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I think the real question here is:

Why don't you have to "register" your body?

That sounds amusing until you let it sink in.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

I think the real question here is:

Why don't you have to "register" your body?

That sounds amusing until you let it sink in.

What do you think Obamacare is?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It actually is a slippery slope to the end of life as we know it.

The body of economic knowledge is an essential element in the structure of human civilization; it is the foundation upon which modern industrialism and all the moral, intellectual, technological, and therapeutical achievements of the last centuries have been built. It rests with men whether they will make the proper use of the rich treasure with which this knowledge provides them or whether they will leave it unused. But if they fail to take the best advantage of it and disregard its teachings and warnings, they will not annul economics; they will stamp out society and the human race.

-Ludwig von Mises

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
a reply to: amicktd

Eh. They say that about everything. Gas tax? To repair the roads. Tolls? To repair the roads.

I wish they would just send me a bill in the mail that simply states, "F U... pay me!!!"

yep, and I can`t even remember the last time I saw a road crew fixing the roads around here.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
It's a tax. The state wants your money. Georgia adds a tax on top of the registration fees, based on value. That's one I don't miss.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
Well, at least it's every two years...mine is annual. Plus a vehicle inspection that has to be passed. My check engine light is on. Mine is due next month. Automatic fail.
My ex once had to put windshield wipers on before they would pass her car that was less than a year old.
I was floored when this happened to me. I always heard California was the worst when it came to car emissions test and cost of registration. Nope! Utah is way worse! My car would have passed in California, but here, because I had a leak in my windshield wiper fluid reservoir, they failed me. The longer I live in other states, the clearer it becomes that California is not the liberal welfare state everyone claims it is, in many regards, compared to other states. Note: This comment does not apply to the small land area, yet populated place called San Fransisco.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

I live in Utah. Never had my reservoir checked, ever.

Wiper blades, lights, tires, brakes, and the obd2 tattles.

But never that.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

Shoot, I wanna go to whatever Safety and Emissions check place you went to. I have been told that outside of Salt Lake County it is more lenient, and there are places like Tooele that don't require the safety check, but in the Salt Lake Area they do. My husbands car is new so he doesn't have to have the safety part done at all. *pouts*

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join