It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When I answer the telephone, I'm not waiting through the silence any longer!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I hate answering the phone only to get several seconds of silence. It seems there was a time when you answered the phone and got an immediate reply. Now with crappy telemarketers and businesses constantly trading around peoples phone numbers, I get these annoying phone calls that expect me to wait through crank call like silence just to know who in the world they are.

I answer, "Hello?'', no reply.... then I yell "HELLO!'' and feel like a jerk, but I'm wary of unknown numbers, scammers and the crank call feeling of nobody responding to my hello.

From now on, if I don't get an immediate answer, I'm gonna just hang up because since when has it been acceptable to call someone and make them feel as if they have been put on hold!?

Is there no sense of telephone etiquette these days???

Thanks for reading folks, just needed to get that off my chest.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

I've found that letting my 4 year old answer the phone deters telemarketers from calling more than once.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

That's genius. That will be my plan for the future.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
It's conditioning... Don't fall for it... There's probably all sorts of evil subliminal messages coming through in that silence.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
In the past, as soon as I knew it was a telemarketer, I would launch into...
"Praise god! I was just asking god who I need to tell about Jesus, and you called. Do you know Jesus as your lord and savior? Let me tell you, my friend..."

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22 That is a cute way to get them to stop, having no kids myself, I might just have to learn some obscure foreign language and pretend not to understand English.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified With my luck, they would be enthusiastic and want to go into prayer with me.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

A machine is calling you and a person doesn't come on the line unless you answer. It takes a few seconds for the machine to alert a person to come on the line on their end.

We never answer our phone. Here's our message: "Hello. We screen all our calls. If you'd like to speak with us, please leave a message and we'll get back to you as soon as we can." *beep* If someone starts talking, we can pick up, but those times when all we hear is that crank call-like silence, we ignore it.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Don't answer it problem solved.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree Sometimes I'm just old school and think it might actually be important as I live with different people sharing the same phone number, but yeah I really just don't want to answer ''Unknown caller'' or ''unavailable'' on caller id.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I answer, "Hello?'', no reply.... then I yell "HELLO!'' and feel like a jerk,

Thats part of their determining what kind of person you are to sell you stuff.

They hold their silence to see how you react, then they can apply different marketing tactics to your personality.

Heres what you do. Either: Don't answer, use an answering machine (you can always call somebody back), or…

…have some fun.

Pick up the receiver and cover the speaker. Then… just listen. If its a real friend calling they will go, hello? and you'll recognize them. If its a robocall and its a computer, it will kick in at some point and go mechanical voice on you… "hallow"… if its a live body telemarketer, they will eventually introduce themselves by name and ask, how you doing today? (as if they care about you). You know its a sell. But stringing them along, repeating everything they say or acting all enthusiastic, and after a minute or two just chuckle and hang up will waste their time, they got better things to do and they won't be calling you back… ever , after that.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Sounds a bit iffy.

Are you sure it's not a heavy breather?

Anyway, you can avoid that by having an answering machine - or else just have a mobile/cell phone. You need to know who's calling before you pick up.

Haven't had a landline in years; they're more trouble than soft mick.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
We never answer our phone.

Of course not. Typical phone call at BH's residence:

edit on 22-10-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
a reply to: eluryh22 That is a cute way to get them to stop, having no kids myself, I might just have to learn some obscure foreign language and pretend not to understand English.

Those are automatic dialing machines. They dial up a number and when they hear a fax machine they drop the line, if they hear a voice, they put the caller through to a live operator. But if there's no operator, the exchange just puts you through to the music-on-hold machine. If the machine doesn't have any music, you get the sound of silence.

You should get an automatic answering machine, and put some message on. Use Google Translate to make something suitable...

Nín hǎo, Zhāo cái jīn mó lóng sìchuān dài zǒu cāntīng. Wǒ néng yǒu nǐ de dìngdān hào ma?

您好 招财金魔龙四川带走餐厅。我能有你的订单号吗?

Hello. Lucky Golden magic dragon szechuan take away restaurant. Can I have your order number please?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

A machine is calling you and a person doesn't come on the line unless you answer. It takes a few seconds for the machine to alert a person to come on the line on their end.

We never answer our phone. Here's our message: "Hello. We screen all our calls. If you'd like to speak with us, please leave a message and we'll get back to you as soon as we can." *beep* If someone starts talking, we can pick up, but those times when all we hear is that crank call-like silence, we ignore it.

This is the trick, just don't answer your phone. I finally got old man to do that and he said the amount of calls he gets has dropped drastically. Been trying to tell him to just get rid of his Lan line but he won't do it.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
If you're feeling froggy make up your own gibberish language on the spot, you're guaranteed to be the one to get hung up on. If you can straightface it, doing it irl also works.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Now that was funny.

That is one of my all time favorite gifs.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Many calls are made simply to determine whether a number is live (in use), if it is, that number has monetary value!!!

Get a phone that display who's calling, that way if you don't recognize the caller; you should NOT ANSWER!

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk I live with others who share the same number and have to take calls whether I recognize the number or not. If it were up to me, I wouldn't ever answer the phone unless I knew the number calling or if the business is actually displayed on the caller id. Sucks.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Spend $15 on a digital answering machine. Let it answer, if you recognize the caller, pick up the call. If not, let them leave a message.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join