It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for extreme Leftists.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Before anybody takes offense to the title and accuses me of being a Conservative, I'm not. I consider myself a moderate Leftist. That being said, I have a question for the more extreme edgy Leftists. Why do you defend Muslims? As a moderate Leftist, I thought we were supposed to support things like women's rights and gay rights. Defending Muslims would actually contradict these values, wouldn't it? Muslims have an aversion to homosexuality and women's rights. I'm by no means a racist person at all. I just don't think their religion is compatible with modern Western values. I'd be glad to hear other opinions on this if anybody else wants to chime in.

Also, here's a good debate about this.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xaphan
Before anybody takes offense to the title and accuses me of being a Conservative, I'm not. I consider myself a moderate Leftist. That being said, I have a question for the more extreme edgy Leftists. Why do you defend Muslims? As a moderate Leftist, I thought we were supposed to support things like women's rights and gay rights. Defending Muslims would actually contradict these values, wouldn't it? Muslims have an aversion to homosexuality and women's rights. I'm by no means a racist person at all. I just don't think their religion is compatible with modern Western values. I'd be glad to hear other opinions on this if anybody else wants to chime in.

Also, here's a good debate about this.

Why do you point out you are not racist? Following Islam is no more about the colour of your skin/your nationality than being a Christian is. Personally I would defend non extremists of any religion or non religion - why wouldn't you? That's not an extreme left view, it's based on the fact that we are all part of the human race and if you wish me no harm why should I wish it on you?
edit on 22-10-2015 by uncommitted because: typo

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I like Sam Harris and try to follow his line when it comes to religion. I also likes Dawkins too who is very anti Muslim, but I really try to not hate a whole religion or religions in general. I have no space in my life for hatred. If that makes me naive. I may well be, but my life is short and just don't want to have too much hate if any in my life towards anyone
edit on 22-10-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)
it makes me feel bad and that's a feeling I could do without right now
edit on 22-10-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Bill maher used to be funny, and he isint an expert on anything. Is this supposed to make me feel bad as a liberal.

edit on 22-10-2015 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted
Why do you point out you are not racist? Following Islam is no more about the colour of your skin/your nationality than being a Christian is.

You're absolutely right. The religion has nothing to do with the ethnicity of the people who follow it. I just wanted to clarify that because some people like to use strawman arguments and accuse somebody of being racist if they challenge the Islamic faith. I was just ripping up the race card before anybody could use it.

originally posted by: uncommitted
Personally I would defend non extremists of any religion or non religion - why wouldn't you?

Even if those non-extremists still have an aversion to homosexuals and women's rights? Why should leftists support them? That contradicts our values.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is this: Some Liberals (not all, but some) have a peculiar habit of bashing Western majority religions like Christianity and Catholicism, but defend minority religions for whatever reason.
edit on 22-10-2015 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Islam is a religion with a billion adherents.
To make blanket statements about a billion people is foolish.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Probably for the same reason women supported bill Clinton during the Lewinsky fiasco and all his other womanizer past.
They didn't turn on hillary for standing by her man either. Feminists still support her because she is a democrat.
For some reason feminist and gays can ignore Islam's contempt for them.
I can't figure it out either.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Xaphan
Why should I be any more anti-Islam than I am anti-Christianist or anti-Hinduist? As long as you let other humans live their lives as they see fit, I am ready to let you live your life as you see fit. See, that makes me a libertarian although in my own social context I am considered rather strongly leftist.

I defend any religion, any philosophy, no matter if majority or minority. I will oppose some Christianists as strongly as I oppose some Islamists when they are trying to infringe on the liberties of other people.
edit on 2015-10-22 by Pirvonen because: Minority, majority, whatever. Your actions as individual are what counts.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Perhaps because Muslims aren't the big boogie man that many governments and their msm bull horns would have you believe
2009-2013
Terrorist attacks in Europe ......2% attributable to religious extremism
The rest ....separatists, eco activists, animal welfare activists and opossition to the status quo
thinkprogress.org...

Or how's about the US
Turns out the FBI may be worse than those nasty Muslims
www.globalresearch.ca... of-them-combined/5454148

Muslims are just the excuse to impose globalist corporate government control

edit on 22/10/2015 by AlphaPred because: Corrected dates and added link

edit on 22/10/2015 by AlphaPred because: Fat thumbs

edit on 22/10/2015 by AlphaPred because: Added some more

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Probably for the same reason women supported bill Clinton during the Lewinsky fiasco and all his other womanizer past.
They didn't turn on hillary for standing by her man either. Feminists still support her because she is a democrat.
For some reason feminist and gays can ignore Islam's contempt for them.
I can't figure it out either.

Sometimes I can't help but wonder, are they truly concerned about protecting a minority religion? Do they genuinely feel bad for these people and want to defend their rights, regardless of how intolerant their religion is? Or is it more just a case of putting on the Liberal mask and advertising how tolerant they are to the world to make themselves feel like they are important? I just don't understand how they can reconcile two opposing views like that.

This is the reason I even avoid telling people I'm a moderate Leftist. Most people will just put me in the same pile as the unreasonable Social Justice Warrior turds — the really extreme ones who will call you an intolerant bigot just for questioning something like I did above, and when you try to explain yourself calmly they surround you like an angry swarm of bees until you're simply forced to walk away feeling like you got hit with a face full of autism.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: AlphaPred

You didn't answer the ops question.
Nothing was said about terrorism.
The question was, how can extreme leftists support an ideology that has repeatedly repressed women and gays? The very rights that leftists support.
I think that is a valid question especially considering that many of the women in question can't just walk out of the countries they live in.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

I know what you mean.
I'm always leaning conservative because of economics but I believe gays should be able to marry and women can have abortions.
everybody wants to stick people into catagories.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Well The Christian faith has done the same and continues to in some regions of the world
And if you can deny that Christianity has watered down, spun and almost institutionalised, which if you think about it is blasphemy in itself perhaps one should ponder religion and what it means to live by a religion.
Now I don't deny many things about Islam bother me
Hell I was unfortunate enough to find myself in a cordon position during a hearts and minds med op in ....yeah, anyways the locals used the opportunity to conduct mass female circumcisions - then the mothers would come to us to dress and supply antiseptics .... Over 2 hours I was in position next to the compound being used
And yeah their laughs before and their screens during haunts me still
But WHO THE F##K AM I TO TELL THEM HOW TO LIVE BY THEIR BELIEFS
I've lived with fought with and against Muslims
There's just elements that like to force the bad points down your throat for its own gains
a reply to: Bluntone22

edit on 22/10/2015 by AlphaPred because: Added t's

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I would just imagine that most "extreme leftist" wouldn't support or defend any denomination of organized religion, I certainly don't.

Most, if not all, organized religions restrict women's rights and/or authority in one way or another. It's just a matter of, how much or to what degree they do so.

Don't know that I'd qualify as an "extreme leftist" though. While I am definitely liberal, I really don't consider myself to be extreme anything.

On top of that, I don't think my beliefs regarding spirituality have anything whatsoever to do with my political stance.

edit on 22-10-2015 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Muslims have an aversion to homosexuality and women's rights

That's news to me, thanks for telling me I'm doing it wrong.

Now I know who to hate.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I didint know that islam was the only religion that hated gay people, thats news to me.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I've posed the OP's question to leftist as well and have never received a well reasoned answer either. It is typical leftist inconsistent logic.

On one hand, leftist will defend Islam under the guise of freedom of religion or "diversity" inspite of the fact that they brutalize women and gays. However, these same people will throw Christians under the bus for refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding. It is logically inconsistent. You literally will have leftist defending Islam forcing women to wear burkas but god forbid a Christian doesn't want to participate in a gay wedding.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xaphan
I have a question for the more extreme edgy Leftists. Why do you defend Muslims?

Defend them how? Their right to religious expression? What do you see being defended that you don't think should be?

As a moderate Leftist, I thought we were supposed to support things like women's rights and gay rights.

The reason I defend MOST people is that I defend the Constitution and the rights of all citizens, be they women, gay or Muslim.

That's the problem with labeling everyone in site. Belonging to a group implies they all think with one mind. They don't.

Muslims have an aversion to homosexuality and women's rights. ... I just don't think their religion is compatible with modern Western values.

Neither is Christianity or Judaism. And I defend their rights, too, though I am a member of none.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
That's news to me, thanks for telling me I'm doing it wrong.

Now I know who to hate.

Do you need a hand oppressing them? I did not have my morning coffee and I am feeling a bit cranky.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
On one hand, leftist will defend Islam under the guise of freedom of religion or "diversity" inspite of the fact that they brutalize women and gays. However, these same people will throw Christians under the bus for refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding.

If a Muslim baker did what the Christian baker did, I would say EXACTLY what I said about the Christian. The religion doesn't matter.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join