It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the deal with the x files movie being so crap?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Is it just me or was there something grimey going on behind the scenes of the x files movie?
Firstly Chris Carter who had made so many interesting episodes during the x files reign, touching on all sorts of interesting topics and phenomena of the time, managed to then direct a movie, hopefully meant to be a conclusion on all the 'mother of theories' comes up with a simpleton idea of a pedophile pyschic priest! Huh what the?
Billy Connelly was the strangeness?
I hypothesize that the reason for the movie was to denounce and discredit any ounce of perplexing interest that anyone or anything associated with the x files episodes had.
It may very well serve the interest of those unwilling to go forward with project public disclosure to basically ridicule anything associated with the x files that helped bring some interesting ideas to the public forefront.
When i think of the x files now, all i can think of is how stupid and hopeless the movie was, there was nothing intriguing about it.
It essentially lacked everything a fan could be hoping for. And there inlies the problem. Why is that is my question.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: GoldenBuddha84

Maybe you're right - or maybe that's the issue with big productions - they have to pander to the masses to make money.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   

I dont think its an easy topic to take on.... The theory of it all is so complex that you could spend years to unravel all the ends and present them.
I think it was a money machine.

However, I get the feeling the new mini series will offer some of what was missing from the latest movies.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: flice

Cool well im not about to spend years becoming moulder, pun intended.surely chris carter was capable of something more inventive. I think he got paid off in a big way by rome and by other big wigs, it was his curtain call and he had to go down in the 5th.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Just a duff script. A lot of duff scripts get filmed.

Look at all three of those Star Wars prequels.

You'd think at some point in amongst the spending of all those hundreds of millions of dollars, somebody would have said uh, guys, this script is garbage?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Just to be clear you are only talking about the second Xfiles movie as the first movie was right in line with the show.

The second movie was okay, at best, if taken as stand alone film.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
Just to be clear you are only talking about the second Xfiles movie as the first movie was right in line with the show.

The second movie was okay, at best, if taken as stand alone film.

I was just about to say the same thing. The first movie picked up basically right where the show ended. Sure made 2012 that much more interesting
great movie!
edit on ndpamThu, 22 Oct 2015 07:40:18 -0500k1510America/Chicago2240 by Sparkymedic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I really enjoyed the first X-files movie, but the second one fell flat.

edit on 2015/10/22 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

I need to watch the first x files movie, sorry guys.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoldenBuddha84
a reply to: Sparkymedic

I need to watch the first x files movie, sorry guys.
i have been vacant from ats from 51,761 posts thats probably about 4-5 years.
I had a recent encounter with the mib that was fairly interesting in cyprus of all places. I should write a post about that, it involves wrinkly strong men, mind meld, a strong jawed american and me wetting myself, strange bruises. And other recollections.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

lol i know i loved the x files growing up and thier first movie.
ut that was like a 2 hr episode i would of skiped over if it was on dvd

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

I haven't seen the x files movies. But when you said pedophile pyschic priest, what many people are saying about Alister Crowley, occult, and the "Illuminati agenda" came to mind. Personally I think Crowley wrote a lot about all sorts of stuff. And I would like to think the Illuminati have diverse interests as well. But I constantly see the theme of children in rituals and magic being talked about. So maybe the film makers thought it a popular truther theme that will sell tickets.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:12 AM
link   
The 2nd movie was more shipper fodder than anything else. It was good for showing where they were at that time in thier lives and what their relationship was. I like to think of it as more of a "Where are they now?" documentary than an X-files movie. It was supposed to set the stage for the 2012 movie that was still a possibility at that time, but instead it kind of blew the chances of that happening. Didn't help that it opened the same day as the Dark Knight.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
The first movie takes place between seasons 5 and 6, and is very much part of the central X-Files mytharc.

The second movie was meant to be more of an homage to the series' "monster of the week" episodes, without any direct ties really to the central mytharc.

The new mini-series run about to begin in January is centered on the mytharc again, and serves as both a refreshing of the show to be more contemporary to today, and to address the fact that nothing happened on the date of the colonization alluded to on the show (just like nothing happened in 2012 in reality.)

While Chris Carter admittedly takes a lot of material from real conspiracy theories and unusual phenomena to inspire both the show and the films, and presumably the forthcoming mini-series, and while some may wish to read into this that he is "trying to tell us something" (and if you believe this, that is your prerogative and I respect your opinion,) personally I have always seen the show simply as reality-based fiction.

Still one of my favorite shows and ensemble casts ever, though.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   

The theory I have is that the wages of the actors and complete production took most part of the budget. They had to cut back on the writing (writers) and no money for expensive UFO and related CGI special effects.

I agree, it was a huge disappointment.. When I heared Scully and Mulder would join forces again for the big screen I was looking forward seeing it...what a bummer.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
they went with a monster of the week story for the movie . . . even tho no one ever liked those on the show just the big conspiracy with the aliens that fit into the overall story. That and people liked the possibility of romance with the two characters so they barely touch on that and act like they fell in love off screen before the movie. So they slapped long time fans in the face twice with that movie. Who knows why. Incompetence or told to? Will the new miniseries be crap too, we shall see.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: HorusChrist

Hey... I liked the monster of the week episodes, and the second movie.
I know that's not a popular opinion among fans, but I dug it. And I think the intent was for a third film to wrap things up by 2012 (the supposed date of colonization in the show,) and when that didn't pan out, they went with the miniseries instead.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AceWombat04
a reply to: HorusChrist

Hey... I liked the monster of the week episodes, and the second movie.
I know that's not a popular opinion among fans, but I dug it. And I think the intent was for a third film to wrap things up by 2012 (the supposed date of colonization in the show,) and when that didn't pan out, they went with the miniseries instead.

Peace.
well it did ok at box office just not a smash hit, monster of the week is good idea for a standalone film, people like monsters and horror movies, scary movies, but for that smash xfiles hit movie they should know what it should be about . . . aliens and romance between two leads . . . this stuff writes itself and it will be proven profits. they don't have the cgi budget for showing UFOS? come on it was never about big special effects anyway, in that first movie they showed the ufo just once quickly at the end and no one complained.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

The second movie was meant to be more of an homage to the series' "monster of the week" episodes, without any direct ties really to the central mytharc.

Exactly, The second movie was really just a long episode. Which is why it fell flat on the big screen. People wanted to see more with the mythos of the show....not another freak of the week episode.

Give me aliens, the whole shadow government, the "deal" between them, the cigarette smoking man, etc. That's what people want from the X-Files.
edit on 11-11-2015 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok

Exactly, The second movie was really just a long episode. Which is why it fell flat on the big screen. People wanted to see more with the mythos of the show....not another freak of the week episode.

Give me aliens, the whole shadow government, the "deal" between them, the cigarette smoking man, etc. That's what people want from the X-Files.
yeah it's as if they made a star wars movie with no jedis or made a batman movie where it's just bruce wayne and he never wears the suit.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join