It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will our species evolve to an emotionless state?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Hi

While doing some research on psychology I began wondering how the human species will evolve not physically but emotionally.
When looking at the majority of the problems in the world today I feel that the wide emotional spectrum of our species is to blame. Our ability to move from extreme anger and to sadness to joy controls ones decisions. Instead of thinking logically and emotionally detached we tend to think with our emotions. This has paved the way for religions, wars and many of the other horrific deeds in the history of our species.

Now imagine the future where our species has evolved to have a very small emotional spectrum. No sadness/anger but also no joy. We would think logically without letting emotions hinder the best possible outcome. I understand there would be a lot of horrible situation that would arise bit I genuinely feel that the pros would outweigh the cons.
I feel that emotional instability is what is creating most problems today in the world on every scale. Our minds our easily controlled and shaped when it is emotional. Whereas if this emotion is removed and logic is paramount then all I can see is massive progression of our species.

I understand there will be those saying that the beauty of our species is based on emotion. I agree but if we evolve past this emotional view then this feeling will be negated as it won't be a problem.

A world where our actions are shaped by facts and knowledge instead of fear and misinformation/disinformation is something I would be happy to be part of (until I can't actually feel the happiness)

So what do we think?
Are the changes in our society today with massive increases in autism etc be the start of a change in our emotional state as a species?

Would this world of logic be a better world for all given that no one will necessarily be happy yet no one will be sad?

In my opinion emotion is what is holding our species back. What do you think/feel?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

I mean, I guess it depends of that lack of emotion comes with a grandiose sense of ego and self. if we're strictly speaking of logical beings with out so much as a happy, sad or angry emotion then I believe the world could be at peace fairly quickly. And then stagnate. With out emotion, Will we have a drive to accomplish? What about our dreams? Would we still have any to fulfill, Or would we just go on as race and hope we don't die out, Trying to keep the status quo in the universe, Or at least our little chunk of it.

I'm an emotionless person and I can say definitively from my own person experience that this would be a double edge sword as a path of evolution. I would also need more parameters to make a general guess as to what way the situation could lead.

Would we still be capable of love? What about empathy, Cant any of those exist with out emotion? With out empathy we would constantly be turning our backs on one another and no progress would ever be made.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Maybe we'd lose our drive and thereby stop making progress? Emotions tend to drive our actions and, arguably, dictate the creation of new technologies. Something like the Cold War space race is maybe a good example. We launched satellites to spy on our opponents and developed the technology to fire ICBMs through the emotions of fear, jealousy and anger etc. Even though the reasons behind these developments could be argued objectively, the basis for the Cold War itself was based in emotions.

I'm not saying the Cold War was altogether a positive thing, just wondering if we'd be at this level of technology without it? Obviously there are a lot of people who'd say we'd be better off as we were pre-Cold War.

Another issue would be the other side of creativity - the Arts. Who'd be writing poetry and music without emotions? What of the artists? Who'd design the Ferraris? Or plant flowers in our cities and towns?

Your ideal world is appealing on the surface; who doesn't want peace? I just can't help thinking that we are what we are because of the emotions and that we must take good with bad.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Almost everyone, still in this day and age, act on their emotion before their logic. The heart (read: emotion) has overwritten the mind throughout history. The heart even has the power to corrupt good people. In terms of physical evolution I believe you will have a hard time getting rid of, what is to many, the driving force of life. But perhaps you mean societal evolution, however I believe it would have to be technological intervention that could shut down this part of us if we re talking about the next few thousand years.

I can't imagine a world in which beauty doesn't move me or passion doesn't motivate me.

I would rather have life than an experience.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I like how you mention the arts. I wonder. I think art can exist in a logical universe, Including the abstract forms. Everything needs a balance. I wonder how upset that balance would be with out 2 forces (emotion vs logic) fighting each other.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
If you really want to scare yourself, look at the estimated 1 in 10 figure of the population being psychopaths, and think about how that's accelerating, because psychopaths are incredibly effective breeders. And wonder at what point 50% of the population will also be psychopaths...

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   

"We would think logically without letting emotions hinder the best possible outcome."

How do you have a best possible outcome without emotion? Without emotion, what would you care about religious wars or any other problems? A world without emotion would be a world where extinction is no better than survival. No one would care one way or the other.

I think long term thinking and encouraging desire for healthy sustainable life styles would be more in line with evolution. As in Chess, emotions aren't very good for deciding moves; but how do you set the goal without them?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
If you really want to scare yourself, look at the estimated 1 in 10 figure of the population being psychopaths, and think about how that's accelerating, because psychopaths are incredibly effective breeders. And wonder at what point 50% of the population will also be psychopaths...

I already have 7 children in the world, I'm only 25 and I'm not done yet. My largest goal in life is to spread my genetics and create a lineage as long as time. At least, I hope.
edit on 22-10-2015 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Tjoran

You sound like a virus

Edit: Or Genghis Khan haha
edit on 22-10-2015 by BelowLowAnnouncement because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Art could potentially exist in an emotionless society. I just wonder what the urge to create it would be? Its very essence is to stir emotions in others or tap into concepts that have an emotional basis. If it can't be evocative, can it be Art??

It's got me thinking too

edit on 10.22.2015 by Kandinsky because: errant possessive apostrophe...who did that?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: BelowLowAnnouncement

You sound like a virus

Edit: Or Genghis Khan haha

Lets just hope i don't get one eh

Genghis Khan is my hero, But i would like to accomplish the same with out raping 1/4 of the population

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Art could potentially exist in an emotionless society. I just wonder what the urge to create it would be? Its very essence is to stir emotions in others or tap into concepts that have an emotional basis. If it can't be evocative, can it be Art??

It's got me thinking too

:Mind Blown:

But what if art was just a tool to use imagination to fuel creativity. A substitute as you would, For emotion? One could even consider it a stop gap measure preventing stagnation of technology and ideas?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Will evolve into a motionless state yes once the Governments insert those chips into people, we will..... but not if we don't allow them to. Unfortunately it could be too late for the children of this World because us Adults are letting it happen.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: VP740

"We would think logically without letting emotions hinder the best possible outcome."

How do you have a best possible outcome without emotion? Without emotion, what would you care about religious wars or any other problems? A world without emotion would be a world where extinction is no better than survival. No one would care one way or the other.

I think long term thinking and encouraging desire for healthy sustainable life styles would be more in line with evolution. As in Chess, emotions aren't very good for deciding moves; but how do you set the goal without them?

I don't think that's the case. Just as a race of robotic artificial life forms could be programmed with the desire to reproduce and continue existence, Humans ARE programmed with this base desire. I don't think emotion really comes into it in that respect.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Yeah....if a purely logical society recognised the value of Art in driving creativity, they'd, rationally, have to pursue its creation. If the alternative was stagnation, they'd have no objective choice in the matter.

That then brings me back to the earlier question: can Art exist without emotion?

Head hurts

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

I agree with what you say but I mean literally losing the size of our emotional spectrum. Instead of a wide scale of emotions we evolve to a very small scale of emotion allowing only to feel one state all the time. This would prevent any swings in emotional state allowing one to remain calm and focused and logical.

The idea losing emotion will result in losing drive is wrong. Creating a society working purely on logical decision making will increase forward drive. Because logically it is beneficial to create new technology and create a better world. Moreover it will logically decide if pushing forward in certain areas will benefit the world or would be detrimental to society.
Although emotion creates so many amazing beautiful things like art and love etc. I feel we have come to a point in our species where the bad is outweighing the good. We have come to a point where we are destroying ourselves and our world.

So in conclusion emotion doesn't drive us forward and inspire us to create. Rather is hinders our logical progression.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Yeah....if a purely logical society recognised the value of Art in driving creativity, they'd, rationally, have to pursue its creation. If the alternative was stagnation, they'd have no objective choice in the matter.

That then brings me back to the earlier question: can Art exist without emotion?

Head hurts

This is a question for philosophers and greatest minds to think about for the next 500 years. I don't think we could just come up with an answer with out some sort of simulation experiment.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: liteonit6969
a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

I agree with what you say but I mean literally losing the size of our emotional spectrum. Instead of a wide scale of emotions we evolve to a very small scale of emotion allowing only to feel one state all the time. This would prevent any swings in emotional state allowing one to remain calm and focused and logical.

The idea losing emotion will result in losing drive is wrong. Creating a society working purely on logical decision making will increase forward drive. Because logically it is beneficial to create new technology and create a better world. Moreover it will logically decide if pushing forward in certain areas will benefit the world or would be detrimental to society.
Although emotion creates so many amazing beautiful things like art and love etc. I feel we have come to a point in our species where the bad is outweighing the good. We have come to a point where we are destroying ourselves and our world.

So in conclusion emotion doesn't drive us forward and inspire us to create. Rather is hinders our logical progression.

Ahh I see what you mean now. I will still have to disagree, but I couldn't tell you if that's my emotional response or logical response. I have been shaped by sadness, love, regret and every other change in my life. I have been humbled beyond belief by the scope of feelings.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I don't think art will have a place in a emotionless state species. This is due to it logically won't make sense. Due to the emotional spectrum being limited to a feeling of content at all times then the idea of happy sad won't exist within our possible emotional capabilities. Therefore it would be logically pointless to experience art.

Maybe in the process of the evolution towards this state will art be seen as logically beneficial. As it will be seen as important for society to inspire and create happiness. As it will be logical to experience art rather than remove it. Over time as this emotion spectrum decreases then the need for art will disappear too.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
If you ask my family and friends, I'm already an emotionless robot.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join