It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking defence article - LRS-B LaPlante Confirms decision to be announced "very very soon"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

So did they lose that for September already then? That sucks...

Do you think it'll actually be 100 birds this time? Or will it get slimmed down eventually, similar to the B-2?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

I think they are pretty set on at least 100. They know that a cut in that number will cost them big-time and put undue negative attention on the whole program.
Also they need that number to start replacing B-52's and eventually B-1's. Not getting at least that number will mean they have to extend those two fleets into dangerous territory in regards to expected life.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Wasn't that kind of the plan of the B-2 anyway? To offer some relief for the already at that time aging B-52 fleet?

And aren't they (the B-52 and B-1 fleets) already planned to get into dangerous territory for their lifetimes?

Isn't there another bomber in the works for 2025/2030 already too? How does that factor into the aging fleet and the new bird?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

No, the Fiscal Year starts in October. This is the first month. They lost a lot for last fiscal year, but it was excess since they pushed the award back.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Oh, okay. I was thinking it started September 1 of each year. Good to know. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Yes to all those points. That is why I don't think they are going to cut the number of new bombers down. I think they will start retiring older airframe legacy bombers once lrs's start reaching FOC. Once the 2035 bomber is due to come into the picture, both the remaining legacy bombers will be retired.
The Air Force learned some hard lessons through the course of the B-2 and F-35 program and will try to avoid those pitfalls as best they can.

At least I hope they did anyway.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

I think it's somewhat impossible to say. We've got a new president coming in who will bring with her a new cadre of staff. The B-3 run can absolutely be cut down against the best advice from the AF.

I'll be very interested to see the public numbers on the bomber, the RCO handles it's business VERY well but this one is exceptionally delicate.

And from what I'm hearing we'll might get; cost, payload, aprox range and a render but no white sheet being lifted off an airframe. And certainly NO close ups. First sightings will be to those around Edwards whom look up.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: stratsys-sws

Don't forget this little project:
www.hanscom.af.mil...

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   

The folks in the Air Force in charge of such things may have learned something from it all. However, by the next time big procurements like this are in action they'll no doubt be mostly retired and the lessons will be of no use. Those still in play will no doubt get shunned by the bureaucracy, which clearly never learns.

So by the time the next bomber comes around it'll just be all the nonsense all over again.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: aholic

...First sightings will be to those around Edwards whom look up.

I know two of those.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

If Boeing loses, they can always propose and probably get a conract for 20-25 B-1Rs that theyve already basically designed.

What an incredible 1-2 punch, LRS-B with a Mach 2.2+ B-1r as the fleet? DIZZAM!

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: BigTrain

If Boeing losses they have a real chance at building quit a few F-15SE's to the Koreans and maybe Canada to replace the F-35 if they go that route. Plus they'll have the two VC-25's and the remaining F-18's and F-15 for a little while.
The AF is wanting an all stealth fleet so I'm not sure they will go with a B-1R concept just for that reason, even if it does have a high dash speed, it's still vulnerable.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Well yes, wanting and needing though are two different things.

Also, we are using the B-52 today, so saying theres no role for B-1r is just not true.

Youre not going to want to only use youre super duper brand new bomber for every role either, and also, lets be honest here, this new LRS-B wont be flown in actual combat until probably 2030 at the earliest. We will still be using B-52s in 2030.

I would field the B-1r in 2025.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

We're using the B-52 and B-1b today for low or no air defense zones and they do a fine job at it so why would we need to take money from other programs for a few B-1r's to do the same thing? It's not survivable in the areas the Air Force is preparing for.

There is really only one role I can see the B-1r in and it's not as a bomber.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Someone just notified me that they're expecting a B-2 flyover at the Nascar race this weekend in Alabama. I would laugh until the day I died if they just up and decided to use one of the prototypes instead. Obviously it won't happen but it would definitely be the most hilarious aircraft reveals ever. Too much to hope for.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkpr0

Fingers crossed. Anouncment today, flyover over the weekend! Pretty plz!

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Interesting read on the RCO.

www.defenseone.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

They've already lost $460M from R&D for next year. So with an additional $100M a month coming out thru won't delay any.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

They're not two different things in this case. The AF needs a new generation strategic bomber that can kick the door of any IADS in the world down to clear the way for other strike assets. Imagine how advanced those IADS and other A2AD systems will be in 2030.

Yeah we'll still be using BUFFs in 2030. Not on night one though (B-1s neither), unless they're lobbing JASSMs from hundreds of miles away.

With all the upgrades going into the Bone now, there is no legitimate role for the B-1R specifically.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

Hell I want to see them build the B-1R just do the damn things get their generator back. Heh.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join