It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking defence article - LRS-B LaPlante Confirms decision to be announced "very very soon"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Bill LaPlante has said that the decision is coming very very soon.

At a briefing yesterday he confirmed that -

1. There will be 100 aircraft purchased

2. The first tranche will be 21 planes spread over 5 options.

3. 4 of the first 5 aircraft will be test articles.

Breaking Defence Link

Interestingly he was also quoted as saying the RCO (Rapid Capabilities Office) has built a reputation of delivering "eye watering capabilities". I find this interesting as the only publicly acknowledged RCO projects are the LRS-B and X-37B, although they are also known to be involved in RQ-170, I look forward to seeing further developments managed by the RCO being released.
I remember a job being advertised a while back for a senior position in the RCO, the qualities of the successful candidate required 'significant experience in low observables, counter low observables and EW' or something similar.

Interesting times

Cheers
Robbie

edit on 22-10-2015 by stratsys-sws because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: stratsys-sws
You forgot the possible RQ-180.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: darksidius

Hi Darksidius.....I didn't forget it, I just didn't mention it in the post as I can't state anything about that as fact.

Cheers
Robbie

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: stratsys-sws

We're just waiting for word the review board has been called. It's usually within 72 hours from that point.

It could be as early as early next week.
edit on 10/22/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/22/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Northrop Grumman told Aviation Week (paywall, only saw rss blurb) the announcement is within days. Tomorrow or end of week next week is my bet.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

I wouldn't be surprised to see it tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

And I won't be surprised if it gets delayed again. It seems like each time it's been close to getting out, something creeps up and delays it again.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

They aren't going to delay again. Right now they have the full FY16 budget. Every month they delay they lose up to $100M.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Update from Aviation Week:

The Pentagon could announce the winner of the $80 billion-plus Long-Range Strike Bomber (LRS-B) contest on Oct. 23, but likely by the end of next week, according to industry executives from Northrop Grumman and the Boeing-Lockheed Martin team.

“The tea leaves are saying it’s most likely next week,” a Northrop Grumman source said. At midmorning Oct. 22, there was still “a diminishing chance” of an announcement on Oct. 23, one Boeing executive told Aviation Week.

Traditionally, the Pentagon announces major awards after 5 p.m. on Fridays to cushion against sudden shifts in company market valuations.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Government Mantra.

Never do tomorrow what you can't push back a while.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Some interesting bits from Flight Global:

In an earnings call this week, Lockheed chief financial officer Bruce Tanner said to expect lower margins on the bomber contract if the Boeing team is successful, saying LRS-B is a very strategic contract and Lockheed “bid accordingly”.

So, I sure as shoot hope they aren't low balling the contract. That'd be REALLY bad.

In terms of the government team, LaPlante says there are about 80 people within the Air Force Rapid Capabilities Office (RCO) working on the bomber project.

80 people. A non trivial number of govvies.

Flight Global article

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

If they did it'll bite them in the ass. The first 5 buys are fixed.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I wonder if the reason for doing it that way was to avoid exactly this potential problem. You lied? Gotcha.

If the other bidder's bird is already flying or the prototype thereof, then restarting the program with them instead would work.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

They're both flying. Have been for at least a year. They're finding a way to work the contract do both sides get work so they don't consolidate further.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

They're not going to do a 'navy' and do a split build order, are they?

(what happens with destroyer and other warship contracts between the few shipyards we have left for anyone not following my comment)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Right now they have the full FY16 budget.

Actually, no, they don't.

The President just vetoed the defense act.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

No, whoever doesn't get it will build components. It's like with other programs.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

The bomber is safe regardless. Even under a CR they have full funding for next year.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I think we may all be quite disappointed when they announce award. According to the FG article, most likely all the public will be privy to is the cost analysis...

Aside from the X-37B, I don't know if there's anything else that RCO has developed that isn't black. I'm just saying most of us probably won't get to see anything for a while.

I've asked some family that has a pretty high clearance / saw the pre-public unveiling of some past projects, and according to them they haven't seen anything yet.

On a side note - sounds like I need to try to make my way to RCO in my Contracting Officer career some day if I want to satisfy my inner avgeek. Problem is I love Texas too much to move anywhere else.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

We won't see much at first, but the AF has promised full media access to at least the proposals and admitted programs, prior to the reveal. They won't get full access to the aircraft since they don't officially exist, or the classified stuff obviously, but we should at least get something.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join