It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Permafrost warming in parts of Alaska is 'unbelievable'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: tkwasny

You think that permafrost is not thawing?

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

permafrost has been thawing for about 10,000 years. glaciers have been retreating for about 10,000 years. Its called the interglacial ice age and we are in it.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

permafrost has been thawing for about 10,000 years.
False.

glaciers have been retreating for about 10,000 years.
False.

Its called the interglacial ice age and we are in it.
Yes. It began about 10,000 years ago. Temperatures for the past 7,000 years or so have been quite stable in comparision to the change which occurred then, even showing a slight decline until recently.
oi55.tinypic.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: tkwasny
There will always be groups of people that change data to fit their agenda. Where are any documents proving chain-of-custody verification for any numbers from sensor to chart? It's required in the nuclear industry for every nut, bolt and light bulb. Why not for something this so-called important?

I really like when you honestly talk about yourself in this fashion.

Now, do you like to share with us your agenda?

And please remember, today we know that biggest oil industry KNEW about global changes back in 80s. (That is 35 years ago, you know) - but they decided to feed folks like you with disinformation, and that is why today we have folks like you who don't understand that for example computer models did not get worst, but better with time. Sure, some from 80 might not be good enough, but compared to today when we have multiple times more sensors around the world, satellites, when everything is connected with internet... sure as hell we can create more accurate models, and what is worrisome - that more we know, worst our future looks...

Of course, you can pretend that all of this does not make any sense, and pretend that superstorm that are more often, form much faster and are much stronger then ever before is not what scientist are telling all along...

But please, at least if you post a data or graph on site, care to provide source, so that is easier to debunk it with real data...
edit on 24-10-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

And you find it unusual that life, the temperature, the weather, the sun changes over time?????

Tired of control Freaks

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

Please don't blame all of the petroleum industry for denialism.

In truth, there is a substantial distinction between different companies in their attitude. It's important to give credit to those who accept science and at least some responsibility, because humanity will need their cooperation.

The worst offenders are Texas based, primarily Exxon.

Chevron (San Leandro, CA) is not a denialist, www.chevron.com... nor are the European supermajors BP and Shell.

At one point, BP even rebranded themeslves as "beyond petroleum" but have gone back on that.

edit on 24-10-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-10-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

And you find it unusual that life, the temperature, the weather, the sun changes over time?????
No.
But has the Sun changed a lot in the past 100 years? Enough to account for the increase in temperatures? What, besides CO2 levels, has done so?

I thought you said it's been warming up for the past 10,000 years.
edit on 10/24/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   

of course the sun has changed! Cycles of more sunspots and then less Sun irridescence, changes in solar wind etc etc. slight wobbles in the earth's orbit.

It is very clear that more global warming has occurred in the northern hemisphere among developed nations (bigger cities, more black pave roads etc etc

One this is absolutely certain in this world is change. The artic was once a tropical forest, now its a frozen tundra.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
could we just be returning to the earths natural state. Or is having frozen poles and deserts the natural state

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
/a reply to: chewi

That is my question!

The great lakes were carved out by retreating glaciers. This happened thousands of years ago and the glaciers are still retreating and permafrost is still melting. Why should I be panicking?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

No one is telling you to panic.

Our species needs to learn how to live more sustainably on this planet if we are to continue to thrive. Contolling our CO2 emmisions is the responsible thing to do. Now there is increasing concern.about CH4 as well.

Putting ones head in the sand and claiming environmental regulations is destroying.freedom and capitalism is an irresponsible knee jerk reaction that solves nothing.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
i love coming to these threads and still reading that some people still don't understand global warming. its sad and hilarious.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: InnerPeace2012

Yes and my flatulence is horrible also. Look, we are a virus on this planet. Earth will go on once we've made the planet inhabitable.

It's not a matter of "if we don't change our ways the planet will fail". It will be here long after we're gone. We are not going to change whatever outcome is headed our way. We will be gone, and earth will move on.

Sometimes, it just is what it is.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: InnerPeace2012

let it all melt.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: vjr1113
Oh super. Another "smartest guy in the room" guy. Just what we need here.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

I hope you don't mind but you see.....I am not a fake environmentalist. I spent 30 years of my life fighting pollution. And I know darn well that CO2 is the building block of life. The increase of which has raised productivity of living green plant material by 14 %.

You want to talk environmental protection - lets talk about spending the money to replace leaking septic tanks, lets talk spending the money to clean plastics out of the ocean. Lets talk about building sewage treatment plants and stop discharging raw sewage into our oceans and waters. Lets talk reducing airborne pollutants.

Don't bother me with global warming. Don't bother me with taxes on being alive. Don't talk about biofuel that is causing deforestration. Don't talk about building gas powered co-generation plants to cover the ass of that inconsistant and expensive turbine and solar power.

Like I said in a previous thread, I don't know whether global warming is something I should be concerned about. But when the people who are pushing the theory of global warming as a threat to the planet's survival, start ACTING as if they are worried instead of putting all their resource into creating personal wealth out of producing absolutely NOTHING. Then I will start to worry.

So how come your hero's are still pushing biofuel, even thought they know that it takes a litre and a half to produce one litre of biofuel, that it burns less effeciently than gasoline and creates more are pollution and that deforestration is required to create more agricultural space and that people are starving because it is more profitable to grow biofuel than food?

You want to talk about "crimes against humanity"? I say that is it!

Tired of Control Freaks

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Oh and lets talk about how India is going to the next conference with an invoice to pay for damages CAUSED by global warming.

I wonder how that money will be used and whose fingers it will stick to.

Like I said, when they start ACTING as if they are concerned, then I will pay attention.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Asking if climate change is real, to paraphrase John Oliver, is a bit like asking "is the Pope wearing a silly hat?" There shouldn't be any question of whether or not it's real.

In the United States, people are more likely to think that climate change is fake than anywhere else in the world. Other countries citizens don't have great long arguments over whether this is going on.

The only argument should be over how best to deal with it, not whether it's happening.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

Oh and lets talk about how India is going to the next conference with an invoice to pay for damages CAUSED by global warming.

I wonder how that money will be used and whose fingers it will stick to.

Like I said, when they start ACTING as if they are concerned, then I will pay attention.

Tired of Control Freaks

India and China are contributing to Global Warming because their factories are mass producing goods for Americans.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join