It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Permafrost warming in parts of Alaska is 'unbelievable'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

These scientists just love to keep us alarmed. Every year they announce the heat records. Have you ever googled the cold records?

Yes.
In the US, in the past 365 days, there have been 32 all time low temperature records set. There have been 163 all time high temperature records set.

Globally, in the past 365 days, there have been 58 all time low temperature records set. There have been 374 all time high temperature records set.

Seems the high temperature records are winning.
www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

Global warming has been on "pause" for the last 18 years and 8 months, contrary to all predictions. Atmospheric CO2 has risen but contrary to the predictions, global temperature has not.
False.
www.forbes.com...

The all seeing, all knowing give us the all time record temps. It's odd that you're usually such a skeptic, but then in cases like this you take on the other role.

Not that Phage needs defending, but he generally falls on whatever side of the topic is best supported by science, research, and facts, regardless if that means in agreement or disagreement with said topic.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: derfreebie
a reply to: InnerPeace2012
This is quite telling, as Professor Wadham has described a 6.6C
rise in global temperatures over the projected period... and
answered in effect we are doomed while he was smiling about it.
Why would this almost jovial accounting lend to my concern?

I noticed that too, I think he was just being honest that it just sounded too ridiculous for the interviewer and himself to be talking about such dire consequences as result of this methane release, that they just had to smile about it.

Whether he smiles about it or not, doesn't really matter, his studies and data in this area of work speak for themself.

Prof Wadhams is just one of many, in this case it was Prof Vladimir Romanovsky, who come out with this news on BBC.

Here is an old video of Prof Romanovsky on Permafrost.

edit on 22-10-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-10-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley
Buddy of mine lives in Kodiak. Fishing was unusually awsome this year. Warmer waters.

I slightly disagree with that, I was up fishing for B Season up until earlier this month and fishing seemed normal (I do this every once and a while to make some extra money and help my buddy out with his ship, hard to find guys with solid surimi tech experience), earlier in the season, during summer, the fishing was hot, but later on around September fishing slowed down majorly, if anything we had smaller fish than usual, my guys on the candling tables were absolutely hating it.

That's normal though when you hit this time of year. So nothing seemed unusual. We found a tooth about the size off three thumb widths in a stomacho though.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley
a reply to: AK907ICECOLD

I cant tell if you are supporting or not supporting my comment lol.

But I am very jealous of you. That place is on my bucket list.

Hahahaha... Little bit of both. All I did was work there. At the end of April it snowed 3" and was gone by late afternoon. It rains 20 out of 24 hours there. I was on the job that has the biggest crane in Alaska for Horizon, and Coast Gaurd bases. It's not as easy to live there as you think. Gas and food is extremely exspensive.... So are the women hehehe.

I was catching fish while working. Miserable I tell you lol.

Only come here for work, Asians, and fishing.

Half the town is Asian, so be prepared to love rice n' fish
edit on 22-10-2015 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AK907ICECOLD

Actually a friend of mine ran into Ke$ha in the Kodiak airport, got a picture with her. I almost didn't recognize her with out make up and a fancy outfit on. I guess she went on a date with some guy for a TV show.

It sucks that the fish you guys catch goes down south first before its sold to us here. You'd think we'd have awesome prices at the stores here...nope. Not unless you catch your own.

It was a really warm winter last year. A lot of people were ticked off about their studded tires being worn down from the lack of ice/snow. I know I'm waiting as long as possible before switching to my studded snow tires...those puppies aren't cheap and I need to get as many winters out of them as I can.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Predictions, although based on scientific evidence, usually aren't all that accurate. Especially when it has to do with our climate, which is tremendously complicated as far as i'm concerned.All that aside, the questions that we really need solve is can anything be done about it? If not, then whats the point in funding all of this research that in the end, just points to our eminent doom? If we are the cause of our on demise than we kinda deserve our fate?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
But that's impossible. Permafrost can't be melting, because Jim Inhofe, who is in charge of quite a bit of science in the USA, had a snowball last year.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Can't call it permafrost anymore.

Tempofrost.

Let us see what the future holds.

Did your know that planting 1500-2000 trees a day is realistic for one person to do??

Maybe we should plant more trees to help cool down the planet?

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: bitsforbytes

Planting trees would only work for a short while, while they grow. Eventually they get old and die and decompose and their carbon is re-released to the atmosphere.

The only solution is to stop mining and burning fossil fuels.

So, how did the fossil fuels get produced from millions of years of organic material in the first place?

Back then, bacteria and fungi had not evolved the capability to break down certain harder parts of trees & plants, and therefore the dead material could pile up and turn into coal and oil and be trapped underground.

Now bacteria & fungi have this ability. So even if we get the same climate & plant growth in which the fossil fuels were made, we will never be able to get the carbon concentration back down again by plant growth.

What's more, the Sun is stronger now than it used to be, so with the same atmosphere we will be hotter than then.

You see, mining and burning fossil fuels is going to # us up.

Back to permafrost: You're seeing a physics-based long-term temperature sensor. No niggling concerns about calibration and 'adjustments' or any BS like that---it works by eternal laws of physics and reflects the temperature trends over many years.

Of course greenhouse physics predicts that the global warming will be most prominent at the polar areas (as greenhouse effect is a larger fraction of flux compared to areas which have strong direct sunlight), and so that's what exactly what people are seeing.

edit on 23-10-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

No, you are not supposed to believe anything....

But what about folks in Mexico that will be on the way for storm??

www.usatoday.com...

I know, nothing to worry, unless you live in Mexico or Texas later this weekend...

it is very easy to recognize climate change deniers today...

edit on 23-10-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
By 2070? By that time most people on this board would have died anyway...

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Yes, you are supposed to believe it because that's what the data say it is.

0.85 C degrees is the average, over all the planet.

70% of that is ocean, which of course has more stable temperatures.

And the warming is not uniformly distributed---it is substantially stronger in polar regions (and that will have other effects on climate as the transporter of heat from equatorial region to poles that's the primary pump in the system will weaken).

Melting 'perma'-frost is exactly what you would expect. And the 0.85 C is not the danger---it's the going to 3-6C which is the big problem.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

I am just wondering....how do you know the future?

The computer models of IPPC have all been wrong to date but I am supposed to believe that they got it just for something like a century from now?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

The computer models of IPPC have all been wrong to date but I am supposed to believe that they got it just for something like a century from now?

Tired of Control Freaks

You can join and watch...

LInk for video...

Some have front row seats...

That is our future... the same future scientist tried to alarm for a long time...

edit on 23-10-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

Thanks for that link!

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

laws of physics.

The models haven't been that wrong, and they've been better than anybody else's half-assed guess or unsupported assertion.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Thanks for posting this link. I have been watching the weather channel, and watch radar.

Very cool to be able to track this.

At this time I believe it is close to 5.5 hours before landfall.

Just to add: If you watch the live feeds, and pay attention, you can see the waves getting closer to the log. How soon will it be beyond that?
edit on 23-10-2015 by crappiekat because: to add

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

OMG!! I'm so sorry, I justed reliezed we retracked this thread.

Will go look for proper thread.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

hey Superfrog

here is a secret - hurricanes existed 100s of years ago. Even before you bought your SUV.

How is it that global warming supporters point to weather in order to prove that the climate has changed?

Don't you know the difference between weather and climate?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

They have been completely wrong!

Tired of Control Freaks

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join