It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is marihuana still illegal in the U.S.?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Big Pharma is THE REASON.

I have M.S. and it sucks. I saw a commercial for a new M.S. medication the other evening... one of its stated "side effects" is death!

Side effect?

Do the research. I will leave it at that.

And, no, I will not be asking my doctor about that medication, as the commercial suggested...

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
Just because alcohol and cigarettes are legal don't mean we need more addictive harmful substances's legalized. I dislike alcoholics as much as dopeheads so whatever. Nothing good comes from addiction issues. Potheads will defend the stuff to death and say it's harmless only because it fits their agenda for legalization. Marijuana is a mind altering substance.

I know a lot of people that smoke marijuana and most smoke it like choo choo trains. From my experience I do not know any casual users. I've seen people that smoke on a regular basis that are dumber then a box or rocks with the memory span of an Alzheimer patient. They weren't like that before they started smoking.

I voted for medical marijuana because I thought cancer patients and the sick might benefit from it. I've come to regret my decision and I will not be voting to legalize it.

Then your a petty tyrant.

Adults should be able to choose for themselves!

Not have hitler wannabes decideding for them in a nanny state!

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I will always promote Medical .

Read up on Charlottes Web.

A very sad story and not about a spider.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Unless you have had to face a life-changing medical diagnosis, as I have, you can never understand what it means to get relief from your disease. Multiple Sclerosis is a crippling neurological disorder. "Western medicine" made it far more crippling for me; I could barely function. That was 5 years ago.

The sad thing is, serious research COULD be done, if this weren't such a politicized topic...

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

If you actually get off the weed due you might realize why!

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax

Yet use and overuse of alcohol causes problems too. This was covered in the OP yet you ignored it.

I ignored it because I think that two wrongs don't make a right.

We are where we are. Why bring in a cannabis to make more problems?

It's the argument of silliness and without intellectual rigour to think that cannabis should be legal because alcohol is.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Just because alcohol and cigarettes are legal don't mean we need more addictive harmful substances's legalized. I dislike alcoholics as much as dopeheads so whatever. Nothing good comes from addiction issues. Potheads will defend the stuff to death and say it's harmless only because it fits their agenda for legalization. Marijuana is a mind altering substance.

I know a lot of people that smoke marijuana and most smoke it like choo choo trains. From my experience I do not know any casual users. I've seen people that smoke on a regular basis that are dumber then a box or rocks with the memory span of an Alzheimer patient. They weren't like that before they started smoking.

I voted for medical marijuana because I thought cancer patients and the sick might benefit from it. I've come to regret my decision and I will not be voting to legalize it.

Pop it Smoke it snort it slam it or rectally insert it for all I care. I don't care if someone else screws their life up. I just don't want the people I care about ruining their lives by making dumb decisions. Legalization would legitimize marijuana as an ok thing to do. I've known a lot of people with addiction issues and I've seen a lot of lives ruined because of it.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Pop it Smoke it snort it slam it or rectally insert it for all I care. I don't care if someone else screws their life up. I just don't want the people I care about ruining their lives by making dumb decisions. Legalization would legitimize marijuana as an ok thing to do. I've known a lot of people with addiction issues and I've seen a lot of lives ruined because of it.

So throwing users in prison and slaiming people with permanent life ruining criminal records is the way to go?

Your useing the law to FORCE you opinion and your way of life onto a issue of PERSONAL CHOICE.

That make you a petty tyrant!

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: corvuscorrax

Yet use and overuse of alcohol causes problems too. This was covered in the OP yet you ignored it.

I ignored it because I think that two wrongs don't make a right.

We are where we are. Why bring in a cannabis to make more problems?

It's the argument of silliness and without intellectual rigour to think that cannabis should be legal because alcohol is.

Yet why fine people, lock them up and give the life ruining criminal records over a matter of what they do with there own bodies?

Why should you have a say what someone does or does not do with there own bodies?

Why should some one be crimilized over what they decide to do with there own bodies?
edit on 22-10-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   

So throwing users in prison and slaiming people with permanent life ruining criminal records is the way to go?

Your useing the law to FORCE you opinion and your way of life onto a issue of PERSONAL CHOICE.

Cry me a river personally I value my freedom over getting high. You want to get high then live with the consequences when you get caught. Take responsibility for your actions and live with it.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Cry me a river personally I value my freedom over getting high. You want to get high then live with the consequences when you get caught. Take responsibility for your actions and live with it.

And you live with the label of petty tyrant. As that is what you are.

I have no time or respect for people who think they have the right to dictate to me what I do with my body.

I dont use MJ myself by the way I just respect other peoples FREEDOM'S and think busy bodies who use the law to force there life style on others are one of the lower forms of human life. Somewhere above terrorists pedophiles and politicians but below, theives, fraudsters and drug dealers.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

You might want to take note, it has been legitimized since the 20's. Ask any high school or college student. 9 out of 10 agree.

Look up what Dr. Sanjay Gupta thinks.
He is by far no quack lol.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

When you get caught? FNA!
What on earth does this even mean?

What are you, a mouse stealing crackers? Maybe a cockroach hiding from the light?

Oh, you poor thing.

# 524
edit on 22-10-2015 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Your right. It is silly to use that argument.

Because anyone out there that does a good hours worth of research, just on the medical benefits alone, can bring way better arguments for legalization to the table.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I can concur that as an Epileptic, I had medically treated myself for two years. I did not find it addictive, and after going a year of no seizures and no other meds, I discontinued my medical m use too, to the shock of my doctor. I am still seizure free and med free, 2 years later! I believe medically it is reasonable. I don't understand recreational use though, but from my speaking to others, it really seems there is a big difference in when one actually begins to use. Over age of 26, it seems individuals reasoning capabilities have been more fully established and their use does not effect their overall reasoning. Earlier imbibers, seem to become more addicted and yes, seem to abuse it more, and make poor decisions. Just my take on it. I naturally 100% approve medical, but to completely legalize it...maybe only if the age limit were established like 26.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Isolated anecdotes make for a weak general argument. Most of the people I know drink socially. But I've also known a few people that have abused alcohol and destroyed their lives in the process. Does that mean none of us should be allowed to drink because a minority aren't responsible? Similarly, I know a significant number of people that have used cannabis for a long time. None of them have had any issues that could remotely be linked to their use. Nor have any of them been heavy or daily users (one daily for medical reasons but still no adverse life effects as a result).

Cannabis has been an integral part of cultures all over the world for thousands of years. It was only made illegal in the U.S. relatively recently --- 1920's. Although the typical 'gateway drug' arguments were being made because hashish parlors were common and in close proximity to opium parlors, a major advocate for prohibition was Rockefeller due to hemp's financial threat to his paper pulp empire.

In more recent years, three primary groups opposed legalization:

> big pharma for reasons already cited
> ABA because they saw cannabis as a potential threat to alcohol sales
> LE/prisons since 'the war on drugs' was essentially their meal ticket

So, as is almost always the case, it boils down to special interests wanting to protect their profits.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Yes, from a friend of a friend story, but hear me out.

I was told that the Laws against MJ passed in 1971 were really enacted by the Nixon administration to control the Black population since the Federal government had pushed the states into the Civil Rights act in the 'mid 60s and the white establishment were scared of the integration of blacks into white society.

Basically, The Feds wanted a "back door" control of the black populace when they crafted these laws.

My friends friend is a Washington insider and could be spouting BS for all I know. But with all the statistics gathered about who, how and where these laws affect, there may be some truth behind this.

Sirric

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150
The government aka local police make far to much money seizing assests from petty drug busts
For them its free money with no limits

edit on 22-10-2015 by deadcatsrule because: ?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Bought and paid for politics funded by pharma,etc. Just have to look at why the left Coast's once most Liberal state on drugs, California, is still not legal recreationally. Where as the rest of the state have gone legally on the rest of the West Coast. Unfortunately looks though as the votes may fail again as projected by supporters of the upcoming legalization bill for California.
edit on 22-10-2015 by dreamingawake because: ,

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
A lot of folks will note Big Pharma and they certainly have a lot of pull but there's also...
... the prison industry.

They like to keep their beds full and pot laws have been a gift to them. For every prisoner comes state and federal dollars that are divided between the deep pocketed corporate, who get the most, prison personnel who are underpaid and the inmates who can't complain about anything.

It's the perfect crime.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join