It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youtube rolls out paid subscription 'RED'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Just saw this.

Why did they wait for so long to do this? not that its a good thing; most browsers have extension which disable Ads and lets you down for later online viewing for free.

i think this is just a subscription to Google play music in disguise, as the subscribers automatically get a google play music subscription in the deal, whether or not you want it; some have already sworn their allegiance to other music streaming outlets.

Google is finally taking the wraps off of its long-rumored subscription video service at an event in Los Angeles today. YouTube Red is a $9.99 monthly subscription that'll offer everything on YouTube without ads as well as variety of other content. But most importantly, YouTube Red gives you ad-free playback and the ability to save anything you want to a device for offline playback. YouTube Red will also encompass what was formerly called YouTube Music Key -- it's now known as YouTube Music, will have it's own dedicated app, and includes a full subscription to Google Play Music

source

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

That what they first offered way back with Cable TV, no advertising (for a fee). There were four channels, MTV, CNN, ESPN and the "G" channel (uncut commercial free movies).

Here, it sounds like they are already offering tiered packaging.

Guess where that tier will wind up? Eventually we get to pay for the commercials, too.

The rest of us get YOUTUBE politically correct, censored, network droll…

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Someone will make a new video sharing website.

It was only a matter of time until Google pushed something like this after buying out Youtube.

My opinion is the next step they are going to block more videos unless subscribed, and also they will be attempting to make a judiciary opinion favor removing 3rd party browser powered Youtube video download assistants.

Things just keep getting more and more dystopian as the corporations cater to the share holders' "earnings" at all costs.

We spend so much of our time on one of the last free bastions of free expression.

Since the "market base" is on the web, the corporations will make it a controlled space through which any sort of expression cannot be made without first forcing you to be the prey of the corporation.

And the legal system continues to stand for this? The United States is broken and any nation that forms their laws catering to corporations.
edit on 2015 by BlubberyConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Hopefully they don't sabotage the free services that YouTube has to offer.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
Hopefully they don't sabotage the free services that YouTube has to offer.

Im willing to bet that execs have already iron out all the kinks and this is the first stage, and they may impose restrictions for the free services or even impose some sort of levy to upload certain contents.

the evolution of an unstoppable force.... i wonder how many companies are already partnered with this subscription deal?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Time Warner Japan, TV Tokyo has already been covering our eyes for videos we "shouldn't be allowed to see" in the U.S. through Youtube.

If anything, the Trans Pacific Partnership is only accelerating the process with our bought out government's priorities.

edit on 2015 by BlubberyConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
YouTube has now cornered the market, so now's the time to make loads of money. In global internet terms, big is better. The competition don't really have a look in as these services are so pervasive.

Hey ho. YouTube is mostly full of the crap anyway.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Well depending on your skills you can get around Googles throttling of content.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Good. Now, not only will they have access to your personal details and personal mail (Google), but to your banking information, too.

Which is fine - I just hope people are aware of what they are doing.
(Personally, I stopped participating in YouTube discussions years ago - and I really loved some of them, you could find very nice and highly cultured, interesting people on there - because I wouldn't associate my Gmail account to Youtube. It was a matter of PRINCIPLE. The scary thing is how few people seem to care about principles these days.
Or even know how to spell it.
)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
This is great news! The internet is evolving and moving away from purely ad supported format. Ad rates at plummenting while use of ad-block software is quickly on the rise. What better way is there to support the content you want, that by the subscription model? There really isn't.

I pay a small fee for my music over here. A small fee to watch my favorite shows over here. A a small fee to play my favorite games.

The only problem i see is that the creators are gonna get jipped. From the OP

As for everyone else making content on YouTube, the rumors of forced participation in the subscription service are true. YouTube executives confirmed that if you publish videos to YouTube and support them with advertising, you must also take part in the YouTube subscription service. If you don't, your videos will be marked private and thus no one will be able to find them. YouTube said this was because they didn't want someone to subscribe to YouTube Red and suddenly discover that some videos aren't available. The question of revenue payouts is certainly a big one, so time will tell how YouTube's creators fare financially under this new system.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

This is already an issue on YouTube. There are channels that opt out of the ads that still show ads and don't get compensated for viewers watching ads.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
originally posted by: TheAmazingYeti

As for everyone else making content on YouTube, the rumors of forced participation in the subscription service are true. YouTube executives confirmed that if you publish videos to YouTube and support them with advertising, you must also take part in the YouTube subscription service. If you don't, your videos will be marked private and thus no one will be able to find them. YouTube said this was because they didn't want someone to subscribe to YouTube Red and suddenly discover that some videos aren't available. The question of revenue payouts is certainly a big one, so time will tell how YouTube's creators fare financially under this new system.

Whoa.. am I reading that correctly?

You have to pay the subscription fee, if you make videos, otherwise no one will see your content because it's automatically listed as private.

Pay to publish?
edit on C154103842 by Cygnis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Lets see...

Ad Block free of charge or 9 dollars to spytube?

oh wow, i misread, causing the video to be private instead is kinda messed up, if anything i hope it allows for competitors to take over.
edit on 21-10-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
At this point quality has been limited..I would pay if the quality of the uploads was allowed to be better..particularly audio.
Oh and no add's would be nice.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

As a former dot-com employee, I can tell you that the favorite word in staff meetings is "monetize".

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

And who in their right mind would make their video private, or only available to paid subscribers? The only ones I can think of would be music videos through record label channels.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

That what they first offered way back with Cable TV, no advertising (for a fee). There were four channels, MTV, CNN, ESPN and the "G" channel (uncut commercial free movies).

Here, it sounds like they are already offering tiered packaging.

Guess where that tier will wind up? Eventually we get to pay for the commercials, too.

The rest of us get YOUTUBE politically correct, censored, network droll…

I agree here. BUT that's the beauty of the internet (right now). Some other site will come out and offer free services again and Youtube will go down in flames.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
You Tube has really expanded itself but have noticed that some features now require... MONEY.

That ain't the way it began. Not what it was originally intended to be but... Google pretty much owns the web today.

Is Vimeo still what it used to was? That was once where you'd go to see stuff that YT wouldn't touch.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Well, something had to give. All those people making videos to profit off the ads which no one wants to see and ultimately don't generate a lot of sales. They weren't gonna just keep getting paid for nothing.

I guess we'll have to find something else to do because I'm not paying for Youtube.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: redoubtIs Vimeo still what it used to was? That was once where you'd go to see stuff that YT wouldn't touch.

Vimeo is good if you want a bit of intelligent content.

YouTube is dross in comparison.

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join