It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Possible Coup in Saudi Arabia Signals the End of US Dominance in the Mideast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
A Possible Coup in Saudi Arabia Signals the End of US Dominance in the Mideast

** Not my Title **

If Saudi Arabia didn't already have enough worries in a fast-changing Middle East, yet another crisis hit home for the desert kingdom: alleged hospitalization of King Salman, thought to have Alzheimer's disease or some form of dementia. He only assumed the throne in January.

While the 79-year-old monarch's hospital stay surprised many in the West, the question global affairs and security analysts ask is: What might the future look like for Saudi Arabia now that the controversial king is sidelined? Will the rest of the royal family accept and allow Crown Prince Muhammad bin Nayef to lead? Or will the kingdom's royal family see division within the ranks?
These events could coalesce into a major political storm, significantly increasing the risk of instability not only within the kingdom but across the greater, strife-torn Middle East (if that's even possible).

This turn of events comes on the heels of shocking news. London's Guardian credits claims by an anonymous Saudi prince who states that two letters have circulated among senior members of the royal family encouraging them to stage a coup against King Salman. The rationale is the king and his powerful 30-year-old son, Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, have pursued dangerous policies that are leading the kingdom to political, economic and military ruin. Disclosure of these memos raises serious concerns. I find myself recalling the assassination of King Faisal in 1975.

Should royal infighting reveal itself to the outside world, it'll mark the start of the end for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as we know it. Far-reaching consequences will resound not only economically and politically but religiously and geopolitically. How?

Click link for remainder of article.

** MODS - If this needs to be moved to a different thread please do so. I know it was from October 19th and updated on October 20th however I didn't see it posted here so... **

An interesting turn of events to say the least. I know the King has made some movements on reform for women, which for the Kingdom were pretty significant. Will he retain power or will another member of the royal family seize it?

If so who do you think will be the replacement, assuming the royal family survives the ensuing chaos. If the current defense minister takes power what will that mean for the region. he is the on behind Saudi involvement in Yemen and is under scrutiny for not having an exit strategy (this seems to plague all leaders).

Do we think other nations might try to move against the Kingdom, like Iran? Do we think the west will do what it can to ensure a transition in power that still supports western agendas? Will the Kingdom become its won power broker in the ME, running its agenda in terms of whats best for the Kingdom only?

Thoughts.

edit on 21-10-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Theres thousands of princes waiting in the wings. Their hearts pump oil and won't skip a beat.

In part, US dominance is ending in the Middle East because the Russians finally stepped up.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

This could be a game changer in the ME.

Of course that's if the new boss isn't the same as the old boss.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   
There is a very special relationship between Saudi and America things like the Quincy agreement have assured the defence of the Saudi regime. I imagine if any nation tries to intervene in Saudis security the US is compelled to protect the regime from any foreign aggression. Remember when Iraq invaded Kuwait America responded by amassing half a million troops in Saudi Arabia for its protection.

From 14 February, President Roosevelt and King Ibn Saud of Saudi Arabia met aboard the Quincy. During the meeting, President Roosevelt tried to persuade Saud to give support for Jewish immigration to Palestine and hoped that Ibn Saud might be able to offer constructive advice on the Palestine issue. There, Roosevelt and Saud concluded a secret agreement in which the U.S. would provide Saudi Arabia military security – military assistance, training and a military base at Dhahran in Saudi Arabia – in exchange for secure access to supplies of oil.[1]

en.m.wikipedia.org...(CA-71)
edit on 21-10-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Theres thousands of princes waiting in the wings. Their hearts pump oil and won't skip a beat.

In part, US dominance is ending in the Middle East because the Russians finally stepped up.

I am not familiar with how the Saudi Royal family is set up. I know they have a lot of Royals I just don't know how their line of succession works.

As for American dominance ending - to be honest I don't think Russia has anything to do with that. I think it has to do with the fact that if Obama's shirts didn't have heavy starch in them he would be unable to stand erect. The man puts the French to shame when it comes to having a yellow line running down your back.

Whats even more dangerous is Obamas possible replacement in the next election. If we elect a person with a spine will we find common ground with Russia and china or are they going to try and show off they have balls and go from there.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Maybe the KGB have taken a leave out of the CIA's book and decided to destabilize a western backed regime' and install it's own, one that would benefit non-western interests........

Lots of Oil is SA, right next door to Syria, which Assad has invited Russia in with open arms.

Looks like there's a new player in town.

London's Guardian credits claims by an anonymous Saudi prince who states that two letters have circulated among senior members of the royal family encouraging them to stage a coup against King Salman.

^^ yep - that smacks of an alphabet agencies doing alright.

Just my humble opinion of course.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

This could be a game changer in the ME.

Of course that's if the new boss isn't the same as the old boss.

All the more reason to sink money into R and D and get off oil. If a new energy source is discovered / created and oil goes the way of the dinosaurs whats the reason for remaining engaged in the ME?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Not to mention getting arab countries, including Egypt and Syria, to send troops. That is the one thing Bush 1st got right at least.

What if the only threat comes from within the Saudi Royal family. Can you still use the agreement to intervene or?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Remember when Iraq invaded Kuwait America responded by amassing half a million troops in Saudi Arabia for its protection.

Crap. Little Kuwait was an excuse to justify invading the whole Middle East.

Proof? They're still there.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Hence the reason for posting it and asking the hypothetical questions. If an alphabet agency is in play it makes one wonder who might be behind it. With the hoopla around Obama and his apparent goal to destroy the US from the inside it certainly makes one wonder where he would fall on a coup.

I could see the KGP being involved however I cant rule out American services knowing Obama and how he acts.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The US is down to just Kuwait military installations. We use one air force base and 3 army installations. Everything else has been shut down. I don't think Iran and Kuwait have the best of intentions towards each other. I also am not sure about the relationship between Iraq and Kuwait. I know Iraq under Hussein claims Kuwait as Iraqi territory. Not sure where that is at now days.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   
oil is passed !...so there got to come something new.....

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Can you still use the agreement to intervene or?

If it's an internal family dispute I doubt the agreement is valid.so I don't know

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr they are there to protect Saudi and American interests. That's American oil those Saudis are sitting on

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Whats even more dangerous is Obamas possible replacement in the next election. If we elect a person with a spine will we find common ground with Russia and china or are they going to try and show off they have balls and go from there.

As a non American I would hope that Obama's replacement is strong and world minded. Russia has shown us all that it's not just a decaying former Soviet nightmare, it can step up to the world stage. The new president needs to acknowledge this and work with them to find a new way to work together as equals with common interests for the good of the planet.

As for the Saudis, I can't see this being too much of a bother. I'm sure there is another horrid leader to copy and paste into the anointed role of King and keep the dreadful Wahabi dream alive.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   
From what I heard nayef is already worried about assassination attempts from within the family itself.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I hope this evil regime of barbarians collapses.

After our PM pubicaly stating on TV the UK sucks up to them because they blackmail us with terrorist attack I say # the Saudis !

Its a shame our idiot politicians have sold these scum high tec weapons ! Least no F-35s got there yet.

Seeing as these animals have caused so many civil wars in its region it fitting they get one.

Hope Mecca goes down in burning flames too!
edit on 21-10-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Maybe the KGB have taken a leave out of the CIA's book and decided to destabilize a western backed regime' and install it's own, one that would benefit non-western interests........

Lots of Oil is SA, right next door to Syria, which Assad has invited Russia in with open arms.

Looks like there's a new player in town.

London's Guardian credits claims by an anonymous Saudi prince who states that two letters have circulated among senior members of the royal family encouraging them to stage a coup against King Salman.

^^ yep - that smacks of an alphabet agencies doing alright.

Just my humble opinion of course.

Knowing how "we" do things, this sounds extremely plausible.

I just hope we don't throw money at some radical group and create another Taliban/ISIS in the process. (not that anything like that could ever happen)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
I hope this evil regime of barbarians collapses.

After our PM pubicaly stating on TV the UK sucks up to them because they blackmail us with terrorist attack I say # the Saudis !

Its a shame our idiot politicians have sold these scum high tec weapons ! Least no F-35s got there yet.

Seeing as these animals have caused so many civil wars in its region it fitting they get one.

Hope Mecca goes down in burning flames too!

For the house of saud to collapse it will take the entire family dead to do so. IF they get uppity and try to kick out the US and western powers we will remove their Oil production ability since the US and Britain OWN the tech and the equipment that allowwed them to drill in th e first place. ALso stopping water deliveries and food deliveries. good luck eating sand and drinking oil. th e regime would collapse within a few years if not months with the saudi people beheading the royals.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
An SA leadership change could be huge deal if it changes oil production levels.

The current rate is hurting Russian economy badly and serves as a sop to US Democrat leaning enviromental lobby by stangling more expensive US domestic production.

I'd also not have trouble saying if low oil prices rose then it would jeopardize the Democrat election hopes by sinking US economy in an election year.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join