It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Canadian Prime Minister Plans to Legalize Marijuana

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Back in the early 2000's it seemed like Canada was on the verge of becoming the first country in the world to legalize cannabis (other than Afghanistan). But then the American government had a huge tantrum about it and the DEA demanded Mark Emery be extradited to the states to face charges of being a master mind drug lord... lol.

The whole Canadian legalization movement seemed to lose all its momentum after that.

Not to mention Harper's ridiculous and absolute hatred of the substance.

Fortunately, the dictator is gone.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

pretty sure Harper is Infinitely worse then Trudeau

And its only been a day...

Please God don't let me regret that statement
edit on 21-10-2015 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I was taking a cab ride to the dentist yesterday morning and a conservative couple got in, asking how the election went. They were upset to hear the results. They kept complaining about Trudeau, but honestly, the only thing they really had to say was that he was going to legalese marijuana. And all they had to say about that was, "Well, I guess Joe Doe can go out and smoke pot now whenever he wants!" and "I guess Jack Doe won't have to worry anymore about getting caught!" And I kept thinking, 'And...you're point..?' Apparently, that was all.

Oh, and they did make a comment about people going around drinking while smoking pot. Maybe people will. I really don't know if this change will make things better or worse for Canada. Personally, I was always against the imprisonment of someone for such a victimless crime as someone smoking pot and not hurting anyone. Some of the best people I've known smoke it, some for medicinal purposes (without getting the legal permission, as either they couldn't get it or didn't want to deal with the government.)

People do indeed smoke it regardless. While illegal, criminals can sell it and make a profit. While legal, the government can tax and monitor it (for safety and age limits (the same with alcohol and tobacco.) And yes, this will indeed be great for tourism! I also had this thought. Our economy will have a big boost by a lot of Americans suddenly deciding to take a holiday to Canada.

Some people argue that it can cause problems if consumed in large quantities, overtime, but so can anything (you can literally kill yourself by drinking too much water.) Police say it's a gateway drug to harder drugs, and there definitely is truth to this. So like I say, it will be interesting to see if it ends up being more good or bad for Canada (probably some of each.)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Good for Canada! Congrats PM Trudeau!

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Pardon my naiveté , but how exactly would this play out? If it's made legal it may weed out ( pun intended) the big wigs, who stand to lose the most money. But the small timers will likely carry on business as usual. Does the government truly think by age regulating it, that those under 21 won't get it? Do they think people will flock to buy government regulated pot that is TAXED over their local dealer? If I know my fellow Canadians well enough, they will go to any length to screw the government and not pay taxes. They have already proven that with the "illegal" sale of cigarettes. How will this be any different? What will be the adjustment to the justice system for this? I truly think Trudeau made this campaign promise to gain votes, and will make a grand show of trying to push it forward, knowing full well it won't happen.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Just not gonna happen here... at least on a national level. The prison industry makes money hand over fist... of those incarcerated. If pot were simply decriminalized to the point where convictions didn't lead to years... even decades in jail, they'd loose untold millions. Maybe even billions.

Our current government serves those with the deepest pockets. It has, unfortunately, been this way since the Nixon administration and on the current path, there's no apparent chance for change. So... call it a form of reach-around between our beloved bureaucracies and the aforementioned prison industry.

Time for more coffee...
edit on 21-10-2015 by redoubt because: typo curse strikes again

edit on 21-10-2015 by redoubt because: Nope... ATS broke my coffee cup lol

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

True that. I think Harper meant infinitely worse to regulate and tax perhaps... Good luck Trudeau. Marijuana has been called a " gateway drug"... and if legalized/ regulated/ taxed I can see this happening. Not for the users mind you,but the dealers. Loss of revenue from one substance leads to others which infinitely does more harm than good. Legalizing pot doesn't eliminate the criminal element on the dealer side of the coin...it expands it to other avenues. Just my two cents which ain't worth nothing in Canada cause it doesn't round up to a nickel.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister
I'm certain that the process of legalisation will be conducted in a dignified, controlled, and well-reasoned manner, befitting the Canadian social milleux.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
It's aboot time.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   

So if Canada legalizes marijuana will anti-marijuana states along the US's border pull an Oklahoma and try to sue Canada for creating an "unsafe environment".

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

edit on 21-10-2015 by Akragon because: nvm, not in the mood to argue...

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Not so fast kids.

Don't be too glad about Mr.Trudeau's plans yet. I work in this industry and there is something they fail to mention.

If it continues the way it has, Trudeau along with the former PM Stephen Harper will have set up most of their friends and business partners to OWN this industry before it ever even starts. This means that people like me or others, who have worked in this industry for years on the medical side of things will not get the chance to create and run our own businesses for the public.

I will only support this legislation if it includes the following:

1.Complete decriminalization for both possession and consumption.
2. A wine model of sale where I can personally ( with the right licensing) grow and sell product to those I see fit.

If they make it so that only regional, large scale growers can make a profit, then it's no better than the tobacco industry and doesn't help Canadians or the economy.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
Not so fast kids.

Don't be too glad about Mr.Trudeau's plans yet. I work in this industry and there is something they fail to mention.

If it continues the way it has, Trudeau along with the former PM Stephen Harper will have set up most of their friends and business partners to OWN this industry before it ever even starts. This means that people like me or others, who have worked in this industry for years on the medical side of things will not get the chance to create and run our own businesses for the public.

I will only support this legislation if it includes the following:

1.Complete decriminalization for both possession and consumption.
2. A wine model of sale where I can personally ( with the right licensing) grow and sell product to those I see fit.

If they make it so that only regional, large scale growers can make a profit, then it's no better than the tobacco industry and doesn't help Canadians or the economy.

~Tenth

Then I suggest you immediately take out a Liberal Party membership so that your voice will be heard just a little louder than the rest of the multitude. Sure, it's a cynical response, but it, too, is a fact of life.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I have a feeling things will play out the way you hope they don't. I'm a Texan, but one of my best buds lives in Ontario. When I visit him we can only buy beer at the state run "beer store" or one other type of store (forget the acronym) but its basically also a state controlled beverage store.

A case of Budweiser is around $40 (I can get a case here in Texas for about $17), due to the high taxes and monopoly on the distribution market. I always fly in through buffalo, max out our beer purchases at duty free (or in NY) and then drive across into Canada.

Another example is tobacco. We were at the gun store buying ammo for an IDPA match and the gun store owner (American ex-pat) said he would buy all my dip from me for $10 (it costs me about $4.50 per can of dip) and in Canada it runs over $12 (if you can even find it in a store).

I fear this whole "legalized" marijuana industry will just lead to more sweet heart bureaucratic jobs for political friends, making over $150k a year with full dental and be another debt burden on Canadians. By the way, from what I've read and heard, Ontario has to borrow money just to pay its current debt. I have also read and heard phrases like "the Greece of the West"...

Good luck to y'all up north!

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

I've been in talks with the Liberal Party for months now actually. Even had a short email exchange with Justin.

He's been very receptive to my ideas but I am cautiously optimistic.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wildbob77
The only way to get the criminals out of the drug business is to legalize drugs.

I do not advocate drug use.

However, I do believe in freedom. Currently here in the US you can get any drug you want on any high school campus so the war on drugs has done nothing except keep the price of illegal drugs up.

Let's get rid of the drug cartels and legalize drugs everywhere. Drugs are worthless.

I agree fully with you on the legalization of ALL drugs. Alcohol is legal and also Alc does cause many social problems I have yet to meet an alcoholic that pick-pockets, breaks into houses and likewise to "sustain his habit". "Drunks" usually panhandle and beg and it doesn't take much for them to get enough money for the next bottle. Drugs however are expensive. They cause turf wars. They cause "poverty prostitution" A F**k for the next FIX. As well cause the many break ins and other crimes just to sustain the habit. MAD -(Mind Altering Drugs- incl. alcohol) - abusers will do anything for their next Fix. Can't change this! However as we observe with alcohol, the same since it is legal is not that much a burden on society for the exception to the directly affected members of the abuser. The total legalization of all drugs would sure put a dent into organized crime.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Grayarea
The new PM is not like Harper who just wanted to be Obummer's lap dog.
Don't worry that will change.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Buddy we have so much water and electricity in canada that we are able to sell it to other countries like the us and china. We can afford to do this.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Being that I live in MI, I'm really curious to see how this works out. We have Medical legal here, but our governor has promised again and again it won't be legal under his watch. Since we have him until 2018 now, I just have to wonder what more kind of chaos he is going to cause, at the bridge and the tunnel. It sucks coming back now, I can imagine what this will do when it is legal in Canada.

Can we force him to have a change of heart? Will his neighbors do that?

Going to be interesting to watch.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

They already rarely do. People are regularly slapped with 6-24 months for being caught with multiple KILOS of marijuana.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join