It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Canadian Prime Minister Plans to Legalize Marijuana

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com... New Canadian Prime Minister Plans to Legalize Marijuana

If Justin Trudeau and the Liberal Party follow through with their promise to legalize and regulate marijuana, Canada will become the second country in the world to have legalized all aspects of the marijuana market - including production, sale and consumption - following Uruguay's historic move to do so in 2013. In the United States, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Alaska and Washington D.C. have legalized marijuana, with more states set to vote on regulated marijuana in 2015 and 2016 elections.

The Liberal Party has stated that "[t]he Liberal solution is clear: If we pass smart laws that tax and strictly regulate marijuana, we can better protect our kids, while preventing millions of dollars from going into the pockets of criminal organizations and street gangs."

It promises to remove marijuana consumption and incidental possession from the Criminal Code and to design a new system of strict marijuana sales and distribution.

With the election of the Liberal Party and the new Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, at some point soon it is almost certain that marijuana will be legally sold and consumed by adults throughout the entire country of Canada. Add in the U.S. states of Alaska, Washington, and Oregon and there will be a very large continuous land area where marijuana will be legally grown and consumed. Better be lots of water and electricity to keep the industry afloat...and then in 2016 California, Nevada, and Minnesota may be added to the continuous land area where cannabis will be legal.

Eh!
edit on 20-10-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2015 by Aleister because: explanation mark thrown upon the page in a random edit

edit on 21-10-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Don't feel bad, they got one of mine last night too

...Unless ATS drug policy has changed again...

edit on PMq000000pmTuesday000000101120 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Aqualung2012

Not feeling bad, but reporting the news in my Canadian accent, thus the 'Eh'. Thanks for the beer though! Aye.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Good for them.

Legalize all drugs or at the very minimum, decriminalize them.

Not likely in the US especially when you consider that the "war on drugs" is a multi-billion dollar industry.

Time to end it, like every other failed "war": the "war on drugs", the "war on terror", the "war on poverty" etc.

Someone forgot to tell the "drug czar" that prescription drugs now kill more people than heroin and coc aine combined.

edit on 20-10-2015 by gladtobehere because: typo

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Their tourist business is about to explode.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Why 21, in most provinces the legal age to drink is 18 and some are 19. I would think they will go with the booze standard.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Grayarea

Yeah I was just about to say... The legal age here is 19...

18 In Quebec...

pretty sure they will stick to that...

The man is making changes already.... Excited to see what's to come

edit on 20-10-2015 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Well, Canada is about to reap the financial benefits of this very up-to-date, reasonable and logical decision.

I mean, why would a government ignore the cash-cow in the room? Folks are going to continue to recreation the hell out of this plant, so it stands to reason that if it becomes legal, businesses can be started that can can profit from it (recreational, textiles, clothing, oils, medical etc etc) then governments can tax it.

and we all know that government loves to tax stuff.

win-win.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Legalize all drugs or at the very minimum, decriminalize them.

That's a horse of a different colour, literally. Many many drugs do serious damage to the human body and to society, and lots of those are legal now with fancy packaging and televised ads with upbeat music and graphics which use half the ad time talking reallyreally fast while listing numerous side effects you wouldn't wish upon your worse enemy. Many of the still illegal ones are just as bad, if not much worse. Yet legalizing marijuana has momentum in the Western world, and it's probably about time for this recent legal phenomena to occur on an even further widespread basis.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

It had to happen, about 2 years ago the police chiefs from accross the country were calling for it because they knew the cost on the tax payers was too great to prosecute anyone for having a tiny amount. In most cases of small amounts the lab testing destroyed the evidence lol.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
The only way to get the criminals out of the drug business is to legalize drugs.

I do not advocate drug use.

However, I do believe in freedom. Currently here in the US you can get any drug you want on any high school campus so the war on drugs has done nothing except keep the price of illegal drugs up.

Let's get rid of the drug cartels and legalize drugs everywhere. Drugs are worthless.

(post by 711117 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet...

I'm sure your Big Brother to the south will have something to say about the new PM's plans.

Sad, but true.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: 711117
ya boi just turned 21 in july, can't wait for that skywalker kush

Aaannnnd this is how NOT to discuss this topic on ATS...

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Until the queen smacks him down.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

The new PM is not like Harper who just wanted to be Obummer's lap dog. It will happen, just not overnight.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck

originally posted by: 711117
ya boi just turned 21 in july, can't wait for that skywalker kush

Aaannnnd this is how NOT to discuss this topic on ATS...

Totally agree, folks, please do not mention personal use, now or planned for the future, on this thread. Thanks.

And I'll edit out the "over 21" in my OP, I'm not sure if there has been an age limit discussed and will let others more familiar with the topic add to that point.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Woohoo!

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

Until the queen smacks him down.

Nah, remember how independent minded his dad was and his mom still is (the dinner conversations in the Trudeau residence would have been educational and policy forming). His mom's profile will be raised even further by his election.

This decision by the new leaders of Canada will probably put even more social and economic pressure on Mexico and countries in Central and South America to follow suit.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Back in the early 2000's it seemed like Canada was on the verge of becoming the first country in the world to legalize cannabis (other than Afghanistan). But then the American government had a huge tantrum about it and the DEA demanded Mark Emery be extradited to the states to face charges of being a master mind drug lord... lol.

The whole Canadian legalization movement seemed to lose all its momentum after that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join