It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magic Leap shows off AR demo made with no special effects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Augmented and Virtual reality is about to get real. Within the next 5 years these technologies will be commonplace for some serious gaming and just everyday experiences. Here's more:

Earlier this year, Magic Leap published a video that demonstrated its vision, no pun intended, for an augmented reality experience with a still unknown device. Back then, it was already a sight to behold, showing off what AR dreams are made off. That said, it was for all intents and purposes a concept video that showed what can be done. Now Magic Leap is showing what has indeed been done, with a new AR reel that it claims was shot without the use of any special effects or compositing.

www.slashgear.com...

Here's more on Magic Leap:

Magic Leap, which has raised half a billion dollars from investors including Google, has been building its technology in secret for years. But it's getting closer to show us its version of mixed-reality computing. "We're actually gearing up to build millions of things," said Rony Abovitz, the company's president and CEO, speaking at the WSJD conference in Laguna Beach, CA. The company is using part of an abandoned Motorola factory in south Florida and is now developing its manufacturing processes, he said. "We're not ready to announce when we're shipping, but it gives you a signal that we're not far," Abovitz said.

www.theverge.com...

I personally have tried some of these things and they're great. I'm sure what Magic Leap and others are doing will take it to a whole other level.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Put some of the new computer chips to work on this and let's see what a couple of more years brings. Would be good tech for museum tours.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I'm a sceptic
Not sure I would invest my money

Just looks a little dodgy

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Dodgy?

First we're talking about new technology and they have raised a half a billion dollars. So we're not seeing the final product. This is also being done with no special effects. You put on the Magic Leap glasses and these graphics will be superimposed over whatever environment you're looking at.

Imagine the possibilities.

Kids could go to a museum and a room is turned into Jurassic Park with Dino's walking around.

A person can be sighting at a bus stop and he could be watching and playing a superhero game where superheros are in the streets fighting and blowing up cars.

When the imaging gets even better, Doctors could be looking at X-Rays and scans that are 3-Dimensional and right in front of them.

It's far from dodge and that's why Google and others have put a half a billion into this.

Here's another key why AR is huge.

Augmented And Virtual Reality To Hit $150 Billion, Disrupting Mobile By 2020

Virtual reality and augmented reality are exciting – Google Glass coming and going, Facebook’s $2 billion for Oculus, Google’s $542 million into Magic Leap, not to mention Microsoft’s HoloLens. There are amazing early-stage platforms and apps, but VR/AR in 2015 feels a bit like the smartphone market before the iPhone. We’re waiting for someone to say “One more thing…” in a way that has everyone thinking “so that’s where the market’s going!”

We forecast that AR/VR could hit $150 billion revenue by 2020, with AR taking the lion’s share around $120 billion and VR at $30 billion.

We think AR’s addressable market is similar to the smartphone/tablet market. So AR could have hundreds of millions of users, with hardware price points similar to smartphones and tablets. This could drive large hardware revenues for device makers.

techcrunch.com...:R0vA

Just imagine your Apps augmented onto any environment you're looking at and you can interface with your computer or smartphone.

This is just the beginning of AR.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
a reply to: Raggedyman

Dodgy?

First we're talking about new technology and they have raised a half a billion dollars. So we're not seeing the final product. This is also being done with no special effects. You put on the Magic Leap glasses and these graphics will be superimposed over whatever environment you're looking at.

I am sorry, just looks a little fake to me, just looks dodgy.

Hope its the real deal and its going to be implemented, just looks fake to me.

Kinda like a ufo youtube video, lots of spec fex and dodgy

I dont know, just think that, didnt say I was right or knew anything.

Could be legit, just looks dodgy

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Not eyeing the rack, love. Just observing the solar system.

I see he's using it the way I would. Bet he's already built an x-ray app.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
Put some of the new computer chips to work on this and let's see what a couple of more years brings. Would be good tech for museum tours.

I was thinking classrooms. Imagine the visualizations you could do for STEM classes, especially. This might be the thing that gets the US back in that game. Personally, visualizations helped me with physics and mechanics classes. I did very well in those subjects when things were put into real-world scenarios rather than just formulas on a chalkboard.

I see a whole content-creation industry emerging for this technology.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I hope, thats about it, dont think i will see it during my lifetime, so i just hope

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
You already have Virtual Reality cubes - these are rooms where there are projectors that project real-time computer animation onto each wall.

Doctors already use augmented reality applications. They can place a tablet against a patients hand, arm or torso, and let both the doctor and patient see a real-time animation of the bones and internal organs (beating heart, moving joint).

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
You already have Virtual Reality cubes - these are rooms where there are projectors that project real-time computer animation onto each wall.

Doctors already use augmented reality applications. They can place a tablet against a patients hand, arm or torso, and let both the doctor and patient see a real-time animation of the bones and internal organs (beating heart, moving joint).

new topics

top topics

join