It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multi front offensive launched against ISIS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
While the US wanted this started awhile ago the slower than hoped for advances by the Iraqi's have delayed it until now. Up until now, coalition forces would build up and attack a target and ISIS would respond. Now with many more forces available and ISIS ability to move heavy units limited by US air power an attack on sever places at one is starting. US/Iraqi Forces take offensive on several fronts

In Ramadi Iraq -

Supported by increased American air power, Iraqi forces are on the outskirts of Ramadi, pressing to encircle the capital of Anbar Province

In Baji Iraq -

To the north of Baghdad, Iraqi military forces and Iranian-backed Shiite militias are trying to expand their foothold at the Baiji oil refinery after retaking it from the Islamic State on Friday.

In Raqqa Syria -

And in northeast Syria, the American military last week said it had parachuted 50 tons of ammunition to Syrian Arab fighters. The intent was that those fighters would join a larger body of Kurdish forces in advancing toward Raqqa, the Islamic State’s capital in Syria, and perhaps draw some Islamic State fighters away from Iraq to defend the city.

And is looks likely a large Iraqi/Kurd offensive will begin in Mosul as well. Zero hour for battle of Mosul

Following a meeting with Kurdistan region President Masoud Barzani on Monday, officials from Mosul arrived in Baghdad on Wednesday to set “zero hour” for the battle for Mosul, said an official quoting a Nineveh province delegate, Iraqi President Fuad Masoum and Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi

However ISIS is still advancing near Aleppo. While Assads/Irans/Hezbollahs forces backed by Russia's airstrikes are fighting with other rebel groups in the area, ISIS is taking advantage and advancing while the other two factions weaken each other. ISIS advances in Aleppo.

Over all this a much needed move. Worn down by airstrikes and with more Western trained Iraqi forces coming online (including Iraqi pilots in F16s) to join the Shia, Sunni and Kurdish militias means ISIS is losing its advantage of interior lines of control. In particular coordinating the Syrian rebels and Iraqis against ISIS at the same time is a much needed change. Still this is going to be long slow war where the coalition advances will slowly wear away at ISIS.
edit on 20-10-2015 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

ETA: Syria crisis: Thousands flee Aleppo after fighting increases

There is surely some fierce fighting going on in Aleppo, BBC does not mention whether between IS or FSA or SA. It could possibly by between ISIS and the Advancing Syrian Army.
edit on 20-10-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

Never mind, this seems like pro-American propaganda, base off of outdated news source and a conflicting stories of US-Iraqi coalition against Taliban.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I hope things can settle with an independent Kurdistan.

My limited travel experience is augmented by Top Gear. The Middle East Special episode reveals a lot about this area of the world and gives a bunch of perspective. At least, this was immediately prior to the Syrian Civil War...now things are likely to be different. Still, somewhat of an abstract, which can be informative and enjoyable. Footage from the friendly streets of Mosul, late night pop-in at Iran's border control station, horseplay at the scary Turkish checkpoint, road trip thru Islamic State w/a Top Gear fan rally in the streets of some random Syrian city, and a look at tidy Damascus, plus a finish in the Holy Land.

Whoops, that youtube link is a pay per view. Here's a free one...(I had to scroll to the 3rd menu item, nbd)

archive.org...
edit on 20-10-2015 by FlyingFox because: freedom

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

If anyone wants a more up to date view on Aleppo that isn't pro America anti Putin here are a few links from the last 48 hours. The link on Aleppo in the OP is from October 10.

The battle for Aleppo, launched on Friday, is an extension of two weeks of other ground offensives in the provinces of Hama, Latakia and Homs aided by Iranian forces and the Lebanese militia Hezbollah. Mr. Assad is attempting to retake territory once considered out of his control, showing a new confidence with his growing international support.

Since Friday, the regime has netted a number of villages on the southern outskirts of the city and thousands of civilians are fleeing fighting in the area. On Sunday, the regime captured one additional village and U.S.-backed rebels destroyed two regime tanks using American-supplied weapons as they tried to stem the regime’s progress.

The regime appears to be advancing westward toward the strategic highway linking Aleppo with the capital Damascus, rebels said.
www.wsj.com...

More from RT if your interested
www.rt.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

I noticed the IS advancing news was old, it is kind of conflicting with the Russian claims of fleeing ISIS fighters. And BBC seems to be reporting fierce fighting in t Aleppo link provided in my previous post.

Is this some sort of Western media propaganda down playing Russia's successful airstrikes so far. It just makes me wonder. Funny there isn't much information provided by BBC on that article except claiming people are fleeing Aleppo....

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
It looks like a mad dash to grab as much land and influence as possible, Operation Iraqi Liberation 2.1

When the music stops, is this what it will look like...?

i2.wp.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: InnerPeace2012

I noticed the IS advancing news was old, it is kind of conflicting with the Russian claims of fleeing ISIS fighters. And BBC seems to be reporting fierce fighting in t Aleppo link provided in my previous post.

Is this some sort of Western media propaganda down playing Russia's successful airstrikes so far. It just makes me wonder. Funny there isn't much information provided by BBC on that article except claiming people are fleeing Aleppo....

That is my take on the issue. Especially because the recent news from both the WSJ and RT suggest that both ISIS and the US backed rebels are losing ground.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Just tried searching news about US backed Iraqi advancement against IS, seems to be either from Iraqi news outlets or Western media. No other media outlet reporting this. hmmmm

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
In Aleppo ISIS is fighting the rebels on one flank and Assad's forces on the other. Although it is not likely even combined ISIS and Assad and drive the rebels out of Aleppo. And you are thinking of the first ISIS advance last week that took seven villages, the rebels then took two back, and now ISIS has retaken those two again. Needless to say the only place ISIS is not on the defensive at the moment is Aleppo. With Assads forces fighting the rebels neither side will be able to do anything beyond slow ISIS advances. Or you could run with the stories of great victories against ISIS that has had them defeated 3 times in last few weeks and yet nobody seems to have told them that. I mean 30 aircraft that sure is going do the job.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Ok enough is enough Mrspad

I gave you another chance after seeing you were promoted as a mod but your posts against Russia on this forum have been dishonest from Ukraine to Syria

So many times you have said Russians use dumb bombs and that's highly ironic considering the garbage you post here you must have been hit on the head by them many times :-/

Russia are in Syria by the government asking them while the west is there for regime change and arming the terrrorists.

Russia has done far more than our devious countries have done to combat ISIS in Syria and also the other terrorist groups that used chemical attacks in the past

In case you don't know the FSA had their back broken by Assad and the wests plan to put their own puppet in power was stopped dead in its track

Then somehow Isis suddenly arrive in the country and amazingly start to take over big chunks of that country!

The reason Isis did so well is other countries supplying them weapons and giving them intel and training

I hope ISIS is utterly destroyed in Iraq and Syria and ANY person found out to have funded and aided them in any way is dealt with harshly by the law with a long prison sentence for them to reflect on their evil ways

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
While the US wanted this started awhile ago the slower than hoped for advances by the Iraqi's have delayed it until now.

Funny how Iraq, recently bombed back to the stone age and conquered by the US, is now 'helping' the US to fight (or is it protect) some new found 'enemy' of the US and Israel.

If Iraq, was not a conquered nation but a mere ally, why would they put their soldiers in harms way for a neighbour who did nothing to help Iraq when it was invaded by the US? Why would they put their soldiers in harms way for the US in any event considering its highly unlikly that there is any support among the Iraqi population to help the US in any event?

I notice Australia in 'helping' the US fight ISIS to so I wonder if the Australian govt is an ally or is it too a conquered nation??

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
yeah, godspeed!

shove their snackbar up their allahu

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

If anyone wants a more up to date view on Aleppo that isn't pro America anti Putin here are a few links from the last 48 hours. The link on Aleppo in the OP is from October 10.

The battle for Aleppo, launched on Friday, is an extension of two weeks of other ground offensives in the provinces of Hama, Latakia and Homs aided by Iranian forces and the Lebanese militia Hezbollah. Mr. Assad is attempting to retake territory once considered out of his control, showing a new confidence with his growing international support.

Since Friday, the regime has netted a number of villages on the southern outskirts of the city and thousands of civilians are fleeing fighting in the area. On Sunday, the regime captured one additional village and U.S.-backed rebels destroyed two regime tanks using American-supplied weapons as they tried to stem the regime’s progress.

The regime appears to be advancing westward toward the strategic highway linking Aleppo with the capital Damascus, rebels said.
www.wsj.com...

More from RT if your interested
www.rt.com...

How are you gonna use that argument then post Russian propaganda?

Obviously you're just gonna believe whatever you want to believe.
edit on 21-10-2015 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

I was going to comment about that myself...seems rather disingenuous.

I keep hearing how the mighty Russians have all but defeated the IS fighters, yet the fighting rolls on, somehow... So someones info is almost certainly wrong, if not falsified at the source.

top topics

join