It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Your Genome Isn’t Really Secret,’ Says Google Ventures’s Bill Maris

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Man, if you're smart you would stay current with all the latest news in this area and a few others because things are moving rapidly. I have to say I agree with him on some level. We're in a world of data and the more data you have the more intelligent algorithms can find connections.

For instance, I don't get too worked up over the Government looking at Facebook posts or Tweets. This is because it will be an algorithm looking through the data for a signal in the noise. The more data the better the signal. There's 500,000 tweets a day and around 200 billion tweets per year. It's just so much data in so many different areas that we need machine intelligence to look over the data. Here's more from the article:

The venture capitalist wants to extend human life expectancy, and he says fears over privacy and the security of DNA data shouldn’t stand in the way.

Bill Maris has a simple proposition for those who are a little freaked out by his efforts to digitize human DNA: “If we each keep our genetic information secret, then we’re all going to die.” OK then.

The Google Ventures managing partner has shifted the firm’s focus this year to investing in companies that aim to slow aging, reverse disease, and extend life. Many of those life-sciences companies do this by collecting customers’ genetic information and looking for trends.

Hoarding this kind of personal data introduces risks, particularly as hacking becomes an everyday occurrence. But Maris dismissed privacy concerns surrounding the prospect of genomic data becoming public. “What are you worried about?” he said at a Wall Street Journal technology conference in Laguna Beach, Calif., on Tuesday. “Your genome isn’t really secret.”

That’s because people constantly leave traces of their genomic material lying around in public. If someone really wanted the information, they don’t need to hack a server. They could just pull a cup with your saliva out of the trash and test it, said Maris, who studied neuroscience and helped form Calico, a company within Google parent company Alphabet that focuses on age-related diseases. Google Ventures is an investor in 23andMe, which sells a $99 DNA spit kit to provide customers with ancestry information.

www.bloomberg.com...

In these areas, it's just too much data to go through and machine intelligence will become a huge part of human evolution because it may take humans many, many, many, many, many , many years to go through the data and machine intelligence a few months. Knowledge will increase by leaps and bounds because of this.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Your headline reminded me of a great book from Michael Chricton.

Great read.

I don't know what to think about your article. The statement that "we're all going to die" sounds rather like fear mongering to me.

Maybe I'll start a bidding war between Google and bing for my genetic info. But I kid

edit on 20-10-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

another way of looking at is; we will cerainly die or get sick and they will sell us targeted remedies once they know our genome. His elite 1% ers will have the antidotes for themselves. Georgia Guidestones/depop agenda- no thanks

[SNIP] u elite

edit on 21/10/2015 by Gemwolf because: Removed censor circumvention

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

I would rather give up my genome then have the government recording everything I do. My genome might actually be of value. My phone conversations not so much.
edit on 20-10-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I've wondered about that Ancestry.com DNA service. Is that really confidential? People are filling in a LOT of blanks for those who want to track everyone - family tree, DNA samples.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: HighDesertPatriot

That's a good point, and there's so much data out there that it would take humans forever to go through it. So they may say it's confidential then 5 years from now we will find out those records are far from confidential.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Ancestry and 23andme shares their data with research and pharmas, Familytreedna doesn´t share your data without your consent like the previous two.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

That's a good point, and there's so much data out there that it would take humans forever to go through it. So they may say it's confidential then 5 years from now we will find out those records are far from confidential.

They've been advertising it on the radio, too - at a discount.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
As far as surveillance is concerned, you have not seen nothing yet. Your genome was never secret.
Go figure

top topics

join