It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Kill a cop, save a child' vandalism a 'hate crime,' North Carolina police chief says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
SOURCE: FOX News

The words, "Kill a cop, save a child," were found early Friday spray-painted across a partially finished mural at the Garner Police Department's new building, which is currently under construction, Garner Police Chief Brandon Zuidema told FoxNews.com. A similar incident occurred three nights later on private property about a half mile from the police department.

I think it seems hard to get the news to report on black on white crime as a hate crime in the US. It seems the police and FOX news have no such trouble labeling some graffiti scrawled on some building that shows the cops some hate as a hate crime. The praetorian guard have such special status it seems.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I think those police are either terrible at their job or did it themselves.

On a police building?! That's brave right there.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

So police targeting a minority is a hate crime yet when the police, which are also a minority, are specifically targeted its not a hate crime.

how does that work? Especially when the people are calling for cops to be killed.
edit on 20-10-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

What the heck are you talking about?

Every time a White person commits a crime where a black person is involved its labeled a hate crime, or that there was a racist motivation

Conversely when you see black people committing crimes on whites, like the mass beatings of white people or the outright murders of them because they happen to be in the "wrong area" , its never labeled a hate crime

So i have no idea where you can even fathom that Idea

That being said, what does that have to do at ALL with your OP?

You posted about anti cop graffiti and then go into a rant about hate crimes on blacks, without commenting at ALL on your own actual post?

Nice platforming

Naaaa no agenda there.......

Seriously so baffled and frustrated by peoples logic(or lack there of) anymore that its almost maddening, the older I get , the more I travel the world and my own country, the more it seems people have abandoned all common sense
edit on 10/20/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/20/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Kill a cop save a child is just wrong.

And I guess it could be considered a hate crime to specifically target a cop because he/she is a cop.

It is an occupation though, which I think what causes the grey area.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

And I guess it could be considered a hate crime to specifically target a cop because he/she is a cop.

Im of the mind set that just about any crime where you maliciously harm or kill someone is a hate crime, regardless of color or background, or occupation...

Thus I dont believe in protected classes

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Every time a White person commits a crime where a black person is involved its labeled a hate crime

Conversely when you see black people committing crimes on whites, like the mass beatings of white people or the outright murders of them because they happen to be in the "wrong area" , its never labeled a hate crime

I mean it's not like every crime when it is white on black is a hate crime...

People may call them that sure, just like plenty of people call black on white hate crimes.

They get charged too.
Racial bias
Among the single-bias hate crime incidents in 2012, there were 3,467 victims of racially motivated hate crime.

66.2 percent were victims of an offender’s anti-black bias.
22.0 percent were victims of an anti-white bias.
www.fbi.gov...

My point is not about the disparity in the percents btw, just that both sides get the hate crimes.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Go back slow down and read the OP again. You seem to have reversed what I stated and then gone off on a tangent. Not just that but 3 others starred your rant like they also had the same order reversal affliction as you displayed in your reply.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence

Go back slow down and read the OP again. You seem to have reversed what I stated and then gone off on a tangent. Not just that but 3 others starred your rant like they also had the same order reversal affliction as you displayed in your reply.

No I re-read it, and addressed it exactly the way it looked to me and apparently others

perhaps you would like to explain your viewpoint more clearly?

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I think it seems hard to get the news to report on black on white crime as a hate crime in the US.

In my post the word black precedes the word white therefore it indicates that blacks initiated the attack against a white person.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Im of the mind set that just about any crime where you maliciously harm or kill someone is a hate crime, regardless of color or background, or occupation...

Thus I dont believe in protected classes

Hate crimes are a special status beyond that. Killing someone is murder. Killing someone because they're black is still murder but also a hate crime.

The problem with hate crimes are that it's very hard to prove intent. If a white person robs a black person, the prosecutor will probably throw in a hate crime charge in an attempt to make something stick but for a hate crime you still have to prove intent, and short of written statements that the person wants to go make some black guy pay, or an affiliation with a group that's against a particular ethnicity that's a very difficult thing to do.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

I was thinking the same thing. is it a hate crime if it targets an occupation?
I thought hate crimes were committed against a race of people , if bankers were being targeted would that be a hate crime too? That might be the next thing I guess. What if it said. ...kill a banker , save the people. ?
edit on 200600000010 by JHumm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Hate crimes are a special status beyond that. Killing someone is murder. Killing someone because they're black is still murder but also a hate crime.

You dont murder someone unless you have hate them for one reason or another whether logical or illogical , self defense or accidental aside.......

Again, I dont believe in protected classes.......

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
The problem with hate crimes are that it's very hard to prove intent.

Which is why some states have completely yanked their hate crimes laws and opted instead to use punishment enhancements. The Federal government is about the only entity that has comprehensive hate crime laws and they are used in state cases where state hate crime laws do not apply. We saw this occur with the guy who shot up the black church. The state is prosecuting on their laws and the feds are prosecuting under their hate crime laws.

An eye opener -
Hate Crime Laws in the United States

Click to enlarge -

In 2008 16,272 people were killed by murder / non negligent manslaughter.
Of all of those deaths, only 7 were categorized as a hate crime.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence

I think it seems hard to get the news to report on black on white crime as a hate crime in the US.

In my post the word black precedes the word white therefore it indicates that blacks initiated the attack against a white person.

that being the case I stand corrected on that part of my post and I apologize, however I dont remember reading it that way.......

but if im wrong im wrong!

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I'm not a fan of hate crime laws at all, so there only being 7 hate crime convictions is good news to me. Criminals should be judged on their proven actions, not on what we think was going through their heads.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

I'm not a fan of hate crime laws at all, so there only being 7 hate crime convictions is good news to me. Criminals should be judged on their proven actions, not on what we think was going through their heads.

I am of the same mindset as some others.

Murder is murder and when we start classifying those murders we are creating a system with built in prejudice. Is a white man killing a black man any less / more of a crime than a black man killing a white man?

Black people are not criminals.
White people are not criminals.
Asians are not criminals.
Native Indians are not criminals.

People who break the law are criminals, regardless of skin color.

We enter very dangerous areas when we try to legislate how people think. As an example just look at Nazi Germany.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I think the idea behind hate crimes is a good one. The theory is that we add an additional charge to criminals who are acting out to attack a specific group, white, black, chinese, rich, homeless, or whoever. It's an attempt to help legislate away bigotry. The problem is that it doesn't work. In practice, hate crimes are simply tacked on to everything by the prosecutor to increase their leverage in a plea deal. Then on the rare occasions they do go to trial it is extremely difficult to figure out what a person was thinking when they were choosing a victim.

Hate crimes are a failed experiment and we should do away with them. Society itself, while not perfect has also become more tolerant over time on it's own without any judicial meddling. There is no reason to have hate crime laws on the books anymore.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

So police targeting a minority is a hate crime yet when the police, which are also a minority, are specifically targeted its not a hate crime

They're not a race. Or a religion. It's a job.

"Hate crime" legislation is stupid, anyway.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   

I understand that you did not read the post as it was written. Your mind reversed the sequence so that what you saw was white on black and not what I wrote which was black on white. No matter the point was that hate when it comes to murder is a given motivation factor. Hate crime statutes serve protected classes. The media bloats facts for stories that promote this division of protected classes.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join