It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US approves $11 billion Saudi buy of Lockheed littoral ships

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
SOURCES: Bloomberg article
Stars & Stripes Article

Snippet:

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon has notified Congress of a planned sale to Saudi Arabia of as many as four Littoral Combat Ships made by Lockheed Martin Corp. for $11.25 billion, as the United States works to bolster defenses of its Gulf allies after the nuclear deal with Iran.

I am sure this will make Lockheed very very happy as well as the communities in the US that will benefit with jobs from this sale. I wonder if the US will inadvertently escalate the arms race in the region and fuel ship sales to Iran from Russia and China?

edit on 10pm2015-10-20T16:35:14-05:00043510America/Chicago351031 by machineintelligence because: Fixed link

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Fantastic news, you get to build ships for the House of Saud, whilst here in the U.K, we have Nuclear reactors being built by the Chinese.

I think I know who's winning.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Charlie Sheen?

Seriously, does Lockheed Martin build safeties into hardware like this in case the Saudis decide they are no longer our allies? Something that the DoD can use to disable them?

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
House of Saud. Created by the British government and protected by the US government. Saudis are nothing more than puppets. What's the surprise?

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: HighDesertPatriot

Without a doubt, just like the Chinese will do to Britain's Nuclear Reactors.

When the Chinese Ambassador suggests that Britain's security services wouldn't allow it, well it is possible to allow something that goes undetected.

The way the Tories are talking down the Human Rights Bill, they are probably sucking up to the Chinese to learn some lessons on oppressing the people. They could learn lots, and I am sure they will.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

You linked to an RT article, 'America is a bomb waiting to explode'

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Thanks

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
So the US Navy found a sucker to buy their Lack of Capability Ships, Good for them, and a better customer I can't think of.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kukri
So the US Navy found a sucker to buy their Lack of Capability Ships, Good for them, and a better customer I can't think of.

I was just thinking the same when i saw our post

The Saudi's just bought $11 mil worth of crap.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: bg_socalif

The contract was for 11 billion and I would hardlt call these ships crap.

These are state of the art coastline defense ships. I pointed out that they may in fact be cause for an arms race escalation in the region.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: HighDesertPatriot
Seriously, does Lockheed Martin build safeties into hardware like this in case the Saudis decide they are no longer our allies? Something that the DoD can use to disable them?

Sure. It's called an UGM-84. These ships aren't very well armed. It'll be interesting to see the details of the fit and finish when they come available.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Congratulations US war profiteering really knows no bounds does it?

Not only have you outfited these desert barbarians with a state of the art airforce , now your giving them a state of the art navy!

*clap**clpa**clap*
edit on 22-10-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
These are perfect for operating in the Gulf. Iran's Navy (along with its regular forces) have been neglected (not trusted) in favor of the (trusted) Revolutionary Guards. So they are who the Saudi's would most likely end up in any real combat with. These play perfect in that role. Keep in mind these not the type of ships that take on a blue water navy but, for smaller, close in operations they are just what you need. In a conflict in the Gulf they would play a nice combat multiplier working with the US fleet.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

No not "perfect".

The USA should not the supplying ANTHING to such despotic regimes!

Nor should the US be getting into conflicts in the gulf!

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

www.theguardian.com...
Sometimes, you need to look inward for reflection.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

www.theguardian.com...
Sometimes, you need to look inward for reflection.

And I am 100% against UK arms sales to these backward barbarians.

But this thread is about a US arms sale not a uK one.

You will find I have commented on more than a few UK threads and my disgust with our PMs know towing to the saudis.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Seems ATS doesnt like my anti saudi stance......

Sorry O great saudi! Beacon of freedom to the world! May our pitiful western nations strive to be more like you enlightened people! May we beat, stone and flog our women and behead all protesters in your enlightenment way! May you blackmail us with terrorist attacks and energy dependency! May you honour us with more hijacked planes! May we offer the blood of our men to fight your enemys in your every so righteous proxy wars!
May we be honored your many princes abuse diplomatic immunity in our pitiful nations in there quest for pleasure , the laws and safety of our humble inferioir people do not apply you you exalted ones! May you spread your wannbiiam across the ME and bless the rapeing, killing and pillaging of your enemys! O great saudi ever may I dare not critize thee on ATS!

Better?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Oh, stop.

There are plenty here who share your views that it's a mistake to sell these ships to the Saudi's. I happen to agree with you. I'd just as soon tell the House of Saud to pound sand. Pun intended.

Most of us don't choose to express our disdain for the Saudi's in the fashion you choose. OK?
edit on 10/22/2015 by seagull because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/22/2015 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: HighDesertPatriot
Charlie Sheen?

No but we don't give them the newest stuff or the redundancy. 10-20 years behind in range, capability etc...

new topics

top topics

join