It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

am I the only one that thinks star wars is overrated?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:34 PM
No, you're not! I've never really got the hype to be honest, but I think I can understand it from the perspective of the people who saw the first one back in the 70's. To me they are just ok movies, nothing special.

I am interested to see the new movie in December though, enjoyed the trailer, however as a big Batman and Harley quinn fan since I was a kid, I am way more excited to see Suicide Squad and Batman vs Superman

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:56 PM
Maybe you are...not sure...I know my family is wanting to go see a STAR WARS MARATHON!!!!!
Not sure how I feel about 16 hours of it....

But what if you feel like whetting your appetite for the seventh "Star Wars" film by watching the previous six all in a row? One Middle Tennessee theater has you covered

The unbelievable "Star Wars Marathon" will take place at Carmike Thoroughbred 20 in Franklin. It starts at 3 a.m. Dec. 17 with "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace" and will work its way through the entire saga, culminating with the premiere of "The Force Awakens" that evening. Without factoring in the breaks, that's a nearly 16 hour-long space opera.

Tickets for the Marathon are only $30. So, that's a good deal financially for movie goers (if you like star wars and sci fi, etc.).Tennessean

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 04:14 PM
No OP I am right there with you. For years I have thought what is wrong with my mental state lol. I love Sci-Fi and for some damn reason with Star Wars I'm like...meh. I never seen any of the prequels but I am tempted to start with my oldest son who is 7.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 08:31 PM
All the newer CG - Star Wars sucks with bad production/directing and acting (well I've seen some parts at least, could not watch an entire movie..).

The only good ones were the first three made between 1977 to 1983 imo.. but you had to be teenager at the time and be in a 1977 state of mind, to appreciate them. That's when a digital watch and a pocket calculator was still pretty cool. You couldn't watch them now and enjoy them the same way.

Compared to what came out at that time, they were an epic experience on the big screen.
edit on 20-10-2015 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 09:56 PM
a reply to: Bluntone22

Empire Strikes Back is possibly the greatest movie sequel of all time

and Darth Vader is one of the greatest villains of all time

who doesn't know the imperial death march?

Han solo, Chewbacca, Lightsabers, blasters, epics space battles, the force, Yoda, Obi-wan. So much greatness

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 10:24 PM
No your not.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:35 AM

originally posted by: SirKonstantin

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: SirKonstantin

I thought avatar was just dances with wolves in space

You are a man of few

Just letting the force speak aye..No words required

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:01 AM
Well it was his step-brother..... and I am pretty sure Vader believed his children had died when padme died. If you read the new comics its also clear that Vader does not know at first who Luke is but he recognises Anikans lightsabre and eventually learns that Luke is his son.

So when you delve deeper into Star Wars lore the idea of Vader being Lukes father is not quite as daft as it sounds for the story.

And that is why i love star wars, its not just the movies, which are awesome, its the lore that goes with them, I love both the new and old EU stuff.

I think you either love star wars or hate it, you either accept its many flaws or embrace them as just something else to love.

Besides today should we not be talking about Back to the Future instead?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:41 AM
I liked all 6. I liked the story, the unique world's and imagination and creativity put into it. Plus it doesn't get much better than the twist at the end of Empire Strikes Back.

Its cool if you don't like them. I'm not here to convert

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:44 AM
I grew up with it. My granddad, recorded it on to vhs and every time I was at my grand parents I would watch Star Wars on constant repeat. Han Solo became a role model in my life and it's just the classic mythology rolled into a space age drama. It's been one of the greatest interests of my short life. I love the way all my friends kids are now hooked on it too. It's magical and will always be with us in one form or another. The episodes I and II, we're a real disappointment, but they certainly drew in a new generation of kids who went on to love the originals. It was a really important part in my growing up, some real magic to get the imagination firing.
Joseph Campbell talks about the age old mythologies woven into the star wars story

edit on 21-10-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 06:29 AM

originally posted by: blupblup
They're definitely not up there with the greatest achievements in film ever from a technical perspective or in terms of acting or whatever, but hey... some things can't be tested and measured and analysed.

Acting I'd grant, though James Earl Jones was a gift. Harrison Ford would still be around without that role maybe.

Technical though:
* The creation of ILM who would have huge numbers of firsts: first CGI character, character morph effect, completely computer generated sequence, human skin texture, and more as well as perfecting existing techniques and technical issues. They also would invent the open source file format OpenEXR which was later adapted by Pixar and heaps of others. They didn't revolutionize the work flow - they invented it.
* First use of a motion control camera ever
* Orchestral score, the highest grossing non-pop music record of all time. Still.
* Impacted the industry so heavily that we still follow the patterns it set down. Would Chris Nolan's Batman trilogy exist today without it? What about our approach to VFX?
* The Phantom Menace produced an all digital work flow which very possibly killed Kodak

Star Wars is to technical what Casablanca was to writing.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 11:00 AM

No, I am with you. I saw the original in the theater when it came out and I hated it. Couldn't even pay attention to it really. My buddies with me loved it though. I've never seen a sequel.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 11:31 AM
Yes, Star Wars is simply Joseph Campbell's "hero's journey" in space:

Compare Star Wars to that, fits pretty good eh? In fact, take just about any movie with a hero and compare it to that? Notice anything?

The "hero's journey" is like the 12-bar blues of story telling. It gets used everywhere, all the time. We're predisposed to "like it" at a subconscious level or something.

It's also called the "monomyth":

In narratology and comparative mythology, the monomyth, or the hero's journey is the common template of a broad category of tales that involve a hero going on an adventure, and in a decisive crisis wins a victory, and then comes home changed or transformed.[1]

I prefer Star Trek when Gene was still alive. ST: TNG had a lot of moral and ethical plot lines, forcing viewers to examine their own culture.

Probably one of the best examples, and quite relevent and poignet to this day. Preach it Picard!

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:33 PM
I'll always "like" it, but the series started off good, never kept the orig story line MOVING ALONG, then the prequels...tried too hard to appeal to ~everyone~ and in the process they watered it down, delved into cliche' and most all of the possible gaffs, including that Han didn't shoot first. Come on. Get it right the first time, if you're such a genius script writer.

I can't say it's like watching a train wreck, but sort of.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:48 PM
You know the guy that was actually inside the Darth Vader costume thought he was actually going to have some eventual speaking lines. I hear he's not even allowed at Star Wars conventions.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:59 PM
a reply to: MystikMushroom
Well that's just rude!

My problem, besides hating the "prequel" movies, is when they decide to continue to drag out a series, but take 20+ years to do it.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:02 PM
Everything is overrated to someone. And who cares about plot holes when you have lightsabers.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:19 PM
a reply to: Pinke

All fair points and in terms of sound, visuals and effects then sure.
I was mostly talking about acting to be fair, I didn't phrase it right.
It wasn't a dig either, I love Star Wars movies (well the original trilogy anyway) but I suppose my point was that they're not considered serious films in terms of acting quality, dialogue etc.
But then what Sci-Fi ever is?

I agree with your post though, great points.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:41 PM
a reply to: chiefsmom

Oh yeah, I guess him and Lucas had it out over releasing spoilers for the prequels or something.

In the original trilogy he was supposed to have a speaking line when his mask is finally taken off, but he was replaced by someone else.

In fact if you search on YouTube you can find videos of him in his Darth Vader costume speaking his lines on set. He actually did recite all the lines during filming...

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 02:25 AM
a reply to: blupblup

Hiya blupblup,

I'll concede the acting / dialogue point. Some of the writing was on the south end of terribad. Though Carl Weathers is an amazing actor with hindsight. Read Lando's dialogue from the second film on paper then watch the delivery. It's the kind of writing that would make Russell Crowe throw a phone at someone's head.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>