It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Update on the South Korean KF-X/F-35 Debacle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The South Korean President forced the secretary of foreign affairs to resign as a direct consequence of the inability of South Korea to get those four technologies transferred from the F-35s they are planning on buying. Apparently, SecDef Carter told his South Korean counterpart point blank there was no way the US would export the technology.

As a consequence, Boeing smells opportunity. Boeing's bid of the Silent Eagle was the only one meeting all the requirements of the original tender. The South Korean Air Force overrode the win for the F-35. Part of that was for the tech transfer for their KF-X program. Now that the F-35 procurement is now in trouble, Boeing is coming back around to make a second pass. Perhaps this time the strike will be successful.

If I were more of a betting man, I'd say Boeing will sweeten the deal and offer the 16 missile carrying capacity amongst other tech for their re-offer.

edit on 20-10-2015 by anzha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Heres a thought. just buy them then reverse engineer one yourself. sheesh. making something harder than its going to be.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Because it's not that easy, even aside from the relationship ramifications.
edit on 10/20/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Or get the European ones. The Euros have several they are happy to sell. I wonder why they want the F-35 ones.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Except one of the requirements to the KF-X was it must be an LO platform. So far the only candidates for that are the F-35, F-22, and the F-15SE. Pretty sure the Koreans won't go with Chinese jets and the F-22 is obviously out so that only left the F-35 and the SE.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Because it's not that easy, even aside from the relationship ramifications.

Whats th e point in having a fighter you cant work on yourself? There is always th e claim that its maintenence

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   

I didn't say they couldn't work on it themselves, but working on it and reverse engineering it are totally different. Besides the fact that it's not that easy, it would cause major damage to any relationship between the US and Korea.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ahhh got ya. ah well. Silent eagles it is lol.

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

It seems the South Koreans were already working on 3 of the 4 technologies the US refused to export.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

It seems the South Koreans were already working on 3 of the 4 technologies the US refused to export.

My understanding of BAE Replica:

Was a technology demonstrator that proved the UK had the knowledge to field LO platforms and so got it a decent gig on F-35.

However, I worked on some of the clever maintenance systems (corrosion monitoring) and they refused to send us the paint spec! So we sent every sensor to LM who returned them painted. I doubt these were external sensors, they were stuck to the airframe, but painting them was above our clearance level.

Could we have taken one and reverse engineered it....probably, the US control dangerous (threatening) technologies through ITAR which tracks serial numbers where they are all the time, Im sure somehow we could have taken one to some sort of analyzer, but you just dont do that stuff, you face life imprisonment, massive company fines, your company would be broke and almost your country to reverse engineer.

Im in commercial rather than engineering, so if I get wind of any reverse engineering speak under one of my contracts Im full on Legal, breaking the law, IP, Copyright, whatever, if it were ever made to my attention I wouldnt keep quiet. The engineers dont think like that either (maybe it isnt possible but there was never a consideration).

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

BAe was partnered with McDonnell Douglas for their Joint Strike Fighter bid. That's basically the McDAC design.

join